Venison

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I know this sounds heathen but try it (I used to do this with roe bits and pieces)

Put the meat through a spong mincer with about 10% pork fat. Brown the minced venison in a large frying pan with minced onion. Make a gravy from proper stock with red wine, port and redcurrant jelly stirred in with a grate of nutmeg.

Turn into a cottage pie but add chive and grated cheese to the mash.

Probably best done with trimmings rather than a shoulder - but oh man its full of flavour!

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Shallots, juniper berrries, mushrooms and plenty of creme de cassis. The cassis gives a pleasant sweetness that red wine lacks. I find parsnips complement this well, either cooked in the casserole or roasted.

I'm hungry now and too late to get venison out of the freezer. Never mind, you've made me remember last weeks venison stew.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
These food posts drive me nuts! here i am trying not to snack before tea....
There should be a watershed for this stuff, after 8pm.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Cook in red wine ( add more towards the end) in a cassarole for 3+ hours.
Brown it off first, ( I add a nob of butter to a drop of oil ) then add your veg, carrot, parsnip, turnip, onion , mushrooms if ya want.
Part crush your juniper berries ( a must! ) add bay leaves ( 3 ) season, add your stock, ( beef stock pots if no 'real' stock to hand )
2 thirds of a bootle of red, pepper, ( salt in your stock already )
I add some fatty bacon or pork belly, browned off ( venison is very lean ).
Serve with mash with a couple of spoons of Horseradish stired in ( or grainy mustard )
Drink English ale or red wine.

Best.

Chris.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Pester the butcher for some of the fat cut from pope's eye steak, and mince that up with the meat, adding seasoned breadcrumbs to the mix at a ratio of 60 meat, 30 fat and 10 breadcrumbs. (I mix grated breadcrumbs with fine ground salt, white pepper, paprika, nutmeg, sage, and rosemary)
Mix into an evenly distributed 'dough' and press firmly into a long, lined (clingfilm's fine), bread tin. Lift out and wrap and put into the fridge to cool and set.
Slice up into half inch slices = Venison Lorne sausage. It seems to be eaten fast enough that it has to be good :)

You can make potted hough with the stringier bits near to the bone too after you remove the best bits for your casserole. Just pressure cook them in a little water for 40 mins or so and it'll all fall apart and can be forked off the bone, seasoned and pressed into little ramkins and topped of with some of the jelly water that it was boiled up in. Mind an add a fair bit of seasoning though, good pepper and the like to the mix before it's put to set.
Makes good pasties too with carrots, celeriac, onion, potato and peas, as well.

If you carve the venison into fine slices, and toss them in seasoned flour, they can be fried in butter jus and served with rowan jelly or spicy apricot chutney.

Interested in the recipes folks are sharing for venison; himself's the only one who eats meat in this household, but we are gifted with it fairly often, so nice to have choices to cook for him.

cheers,
M

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......If you carve the venison into fine slices, and toss them in seasoned flour, they can be fried in butter jus and served with rowan jelly or spicy apricot chutney.....

Pretty close to one of the favorite ways to cook it here. Cut into steaks (boneless) about 1/2 inch thick, beat with a meat hammer, dredge in seasoned flour a couple of times, and then pan fry. Make gravy with the drippings/frying fat, and serve with mashed taters.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I once had a venison steak with a chocolate sauce.
It was very good.The chocolate was unsweetened and spiced with chilli and I suspect mace.
There is a recipe for a chocolate & venison casserole in the Green & Black Chocolate recipe book too.
I have a copy somewhere.I shall try to look it out for you.
Cheers, Simon

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Do you know beef ham ? It's sliced fine and spiced and then fried. plastic-ninja's chilli chocolate mace version sounds like it would work very much like that.
The spice for beef ham (and sometimes gigot chops) is Jamaican pimento, allspice.

cheers,
Toddy

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Sauce made from unsweetened chocolate powder is common in Mexican recipes. That style of cooking is called Mole (pronounced "moh-lay")

sgtoutback

Nomad
Jun 29, 2010
Near the fundy
Cubed and then slow cooked cooked in 1 pint Murphys stout and half a pint of beef stock with plenty of potatoes/carrot/onion/garlic/rosemary and thyme all veg and meat was first given a browning in a pan. Add in dumplings for the last hour or so. Serve it with soda bread with lashings of butter and of course another pint of stout.

But all the recipes above sound great too. and are making me very hungry

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The last time I saw Lorne sausage made from venison it was the shoulders that were used. That's why the pope's eye steak fat was added.
Not much fat on a deer anyway; well none I've seen, you've probably dealt with a heck of a lot more than ever I have.

cheers,
Toddy

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
Venison, actually game in general, isn't too fat, often deer (hinds) shot mid to late season can be devoid of any fat depending on the weather and location. We are lucky here as the combination of very good upland grazing and relatively mild weather, in the glens at any rate, means a good hind should have at least a bit of fat to it, sometimes into the new year provided there isn't too much snow cover.

Also, it helps is you know the guy shooting and actually lardering the beasts, just ask for a plump one ;)

Some cuts are lean others not so, I tend to collect the fat, render it to lard and fill a few jars, then I can add it to the leaner stuff as required, stews etc. All a roast ever needs is a light basting with a little fat.

udamiano

On a new journey
I've definitely got to stop reading these food posts..I'm already hungry :) I would personally stab it with a sharp knife, into the slits put slices of garlic and anchovy, cut some onions in half and sit the leg on them cover in foil, and slow roast in the oven for a couple of hours depending on the size. remove the foil and up the temp to brown off (I actually use a blow torch to this last bit, as it give you excellent control on how brown you want the meat and is a hell of cheaper to run than my range.
make gravy with the juices by adding port, a little balsamic vinegar and reduce, add a knob of butter at the end.
I serve this with boiled potatoes, and grilled french beans; and of course a glass of your favourite red.

Atehequa

May 27, 2013
Tsenacommacah
Is there a lot of places to hunt deer in Great Britain? What I mean is aside from private estates and farms?

I'm quite fortunate to know a few land owners here who allow me to hunt with bow and black powder rifles. Then there are wildlife management areas, national forests and my wife's reservation across the Mattaponi River. I've already bagged a nice 8-point buck this year and may go after a plump doe later on.

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
If you carve the venison into fine slices, and toss them in seasoned flour, they can be fried in butter jus and served with rowan jelly or spicy apricot chutney.
cheers,
M

This is top of the list for next time, any recommended seasoning for the flower?

Cubed and then slow cooked cooked in 1 pint Murphys stout and half a pint of beef stock with plenty of potatoes/carrot/onion/garlic/rosemary and thyme all veg and meat was first given a browning in a pan. Add in dumplings for the last hour or so. Serve it with soda bread with lashings of butter and of course another pint of stout.

Long story short broke the bone in the tip of my main index finger so the meat prep was messy :-/ but went with this recipe but without the carrot or dumplings.

Thank for all the replies.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Depends on whether you like spicy, hot, or just salt and pepper :)

Spicy, like beefham, use allspice and not much flour. Hot, add some mild ground chilli and a little paprika, and there's always the black pepper and salt mix.....that said, I've taken a notion to the pink peppers, and Grains of Paradise, instead of the black.

Tell you what does work well for most things dipped in flour or batter and fried; adding some stock powder (I like Marigold) to the flour mixture. It really adds to batter, but it works well on dipped and fried stuff too. Nut luncheon slices done this way were really tasty instead of kind of peanuty bland, and my husband said it worked well on meat too.

Hope the finger heals quickly and well for you. Hands out of commission are a right irritation.

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE