Venison

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

EddieP

Forager
Nov 7, 2013
Liverpool
Someone my correct me but no you need land owners permission a fire arm of legal caliber for the deer your stalking. I'm unaware of any "open" areas where you can just go hunting.

i might be wrong.

I forgot to add, the rifle needs appropriate conditions from the police too.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
But on the upside we are much more flexible about moderators and barrel length :)

Moderators, yes. But barrel length might be debatable. We're allowed to hunt with handguns, if the caliber is appropriate to the game being hunted.

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I meant rifle barrel certainly - we can have anything over 12" without special permission - I think yours is 18" or else an SBR?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I meant rifle barrel certainly - we can have anything over 12" without special permission - I think yours is 18" or else an SBR?

You're close. 16" is the minimum for rifles; 18" is minimum for shotguns. Even so, in most states, anybody who can legally own a handgun, may also own a SBR (but not a short barreled shotgun (although a shotgun modified to a short length and used solely as a signal flare launcher is perfectly legal.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Nor do I. They are popular here though on a few lever actions. I suspect more due to marketing thn for any other reasons; a handgun would be more practical if you wanted or needed something that short, and I know of no historical significance to them.

But we're sidetracking both the thread and the question that led us here. The OP wanted venison recipes (and there've been some great ones posted!) and the question leadin us astray was about public hunting land in the UK (apparently nonexistant)

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
How do you mean "fallacy in his logic"?

The reasoning behind his belief as to why stone age man would have cooked this way (at least his explanation of why) It's very subtle. He says it's because they didn't have cooking pots (metal or clay ones) then he procedes to use a shovel.

I would imagine that at this period, meat was more likely roasted by simply placing directly on the coals above ground.

Last edited:

BigM

Forager
Jul 2, 2009
The West
Hi Santaman,

To be fair, I'd guess that the shovel is more for ease of use rather than any suggestion that it was a tool available to our Stone-Age ancestors. I'd also suggest that even in the Stone Age, cooking was more sophisticated than simply placing meat on coals. Bear in mind that Stone Age people were sophisticated enough to build a monument such a Newgrange in Ireland (google it if you're not familiar with it; you won't be disappointed).

I attach a link to some material on the most common archaeological artefact on the Irish landscape, the Fulacht Fiadh. There are thousands of these pits, some of them huge, where entire feasts might possibly have been prepared. I hope you enjoy the read.

http://irisharchaeology.ie/2012/07/the-enigmatic-fulacht-fiadhburnt-mound/

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
To be completely honest, the "stone-age" included pots, shovels, and other tools. Just not any made from metal. But Ray was refering to a time even earlier than that, a time before even clay pots or skin pots.

I know they could have dug the hole for that fire pit with sharpened sticks and covered it back over by hand. Maybe they did so, I really don't know. It just seems counterintuitive.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE