Vegetarians and vegans

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I don't hate veggies by the way.(just so we're all clear)........ I just wondered what the big increase in popularity was all about in the last decade or so. A lot of children have no choice as their parents are vegetarian and have no choice to only eat vegetables or processed vegetarian products or non animal products, because that's how they're brought up and they have to eat what their parents choose to eat and tend to continue as adults because their bodies arn't used to meat and maybe can't tolerate it, or they find it repulsive. :yuck: A lot of people have very good reasons to be vegan or vegetarian and at the end of the day everyone is free to eat what they choose. I do however believe some of the people choose to be vegetarian or vegan and they don't really know why themselves It's trendy and 'en vouge' or is perceived as cool perhaps. :dunno:

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
falling rain said:
I don't hate veggies by the way.(just so we're all clear)........ I just wondered what the big increase in popularity was all about in the last decade or so. A lot of children have no choice as their parents are vegetarian and have no choice to only eat vegetables or processed vegetarian products or non animal products, because that's how they're brought up and they have to eat what their parents choose to eat and tend to continue as adults because their bodies arn't used to meat and maybe can't tolerate it, or they find it repulsive. :yuck: A lot of people have very good reasons to be vegan or vegetarian and at the end of the day everyone is free to eat what they choose. I do however believe some of the people choose to be vegetarian or vegan and they don't really know why themselves It's trendy and 'en vouge' or is perceived as cool perhaps. :dunno:

I am not sure if vegetarism is in anymore really. Isn't it all meat diets that are in these days (without fat a real killer)? Vegertarism is a little 90s now, I believe.

You are probably right about that from parents to children thing. I find eating predators and reptiles really revolting. If I could eat foxes and badgers with the same joy as I eat elk, I would clearly be a lot more adaptable and have a greater range of foods to choose from.

Torjus Gaaren

malcolmc

Forager
Jun 10, 2006
Wiltshire
www.webwessex.co.uk
I've been vegi since the 60's, it was trendy then too.

Always felt it was healthier - for the animals that is :) .

I've got a feeling wildlife can tell, no scientific reseach I know of, just experience in the wild. Any other vegi bushcrafters noticed this effect?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think it's an across the board thing; we're *all* fussier now. We are an incredibly wasteful society, and there is no shame attached to wasting food nowadays. There certainly was when I was younger.....kids used to get belted in school dinners if they didn't finish their meals, and that was Primary school :eek: regardless of how indigestible the gristley stew was :( That's maybe not fair, the food was generally very good if plain. Meat and two or three fresh veg and a substantial pudding, or soup and the main course.
I also think that fast food and pre packed meals are ruining tastebuds. So much, salt and preservatives.....to be honest, it's not good food but that's what so many people now expect and if they are under the weather in hospital then they'll be fussier yet.

Toddy, who's just had baked potato, bramley apple bangers and minty peas with veggie gravy :D

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
malcolmc said:
I've been vegi since the 60's, it was trendy then too.

Always felt it was healthier - for the animals that is :) .

I've got a feeling wildlife can tell, no scientific reseach I know of, just experience in the wild. Any other vegi bushcrafters noticed this effect?

From what I heard several native american tribes used to stop eating meat a few days prior to hunting to stop smelling like predators.

Torjus Gaaren

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Vegetarian's sh*t smells different, more like compost :eek: I have a Chinese friend who says that the typical Western diet, high in dairy products makes us all smell like sick/ sour milk, to her :( During WW2 the Chindits, and the long range reconnaisance units during the Vietnam war, changed their diets to be heavy on rice and fish because the locals could smell the scat from the Westerners otherwise, and it gave away positions.

Cheers,
Toddy

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Toddy said:
I think it's an across the board thing; we're *all* fussier now. We are an incredibly wasteful society, and there is no shame attached to wasting food nowadays. There certainly was when I was younger.....kids used to get belted in school dinners if they didn't finish their meals, and that was Primary school :eek: regardless of how indigestible the gristley stew was :( That's maybe not fair, the food was generally very good if plain. Meat and two or three fresh veg and a substantial pudding, or soup and the main course.
I also think that fast food and pre packed meals are ruining tastebuds. So much, salt and preservatives.....to be honest, it's not good food but that's what so many people now expect and if they are under the weather in hospital then they'll be fussier yet.

Toddy, who's just had baked potato, bramley apple bangers and minty peas with veggie gravy :D

Sorry Toddy No. We're not all fussier now. I'll eat just about anything. I was brought up to eat whatever I was given, and believe I'm not at all fussy now because I realise I can't eat exactly what I want everyday, and ate what ever I was given. I have my favourites and of course I like some things more than others but I'll eat what I've got, and try to vary my diet with salad, rice, pasta, vegetables meats, fish, pulses and have eaten some fairly weird stuff in Japan. There SHOULD be shame attached to wasting food nowadays. I waste very little because I hate throwing food away. It actually makes me feel a little guilty, but inevitably sometimes things go past their best and must be chucked. I throw stale bread out for the birds and take rotten fruit or vegetables or peelings from vegetables up to Shotover for the wildlife to eat when I think about it. As for patients in hospitals you're right that people expect more nowadays and think it's their right to get whatever they wish for instead of what they're given. Hospitals arn't restaurants and it's unbelievable the requests we get. Can Mrs Bloggs have a beef sandwich - Yeah sure would she like some horse radish and a half bottle of house red with that? I think that's our society though nowadays everyone wants things their own way, have got too much too say and don't want to work for their goals.......They just want it and they want it now. (sorry off track a bit there)

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
torjusg said:
I don't respect vegetarism at all. Humans are omnivores and it would be practically impossible for humans to survive on plants alone in a non-fossile fueled world.
While the human intestinal tract is capable of digesting both plant and animal foods, we evolved to eat primarily plant foods. Our teeth are made up of twenty molars, perfect for crushing and grinding plant foods, along with eight front incisors, which are well suited for biting into fruits and vegetables.
We only have four canine teeth designed for meat eating; our jaws moves both vertically to tear and laterally to crush. Carnivores' jaws swing only vertically. There is evidence for human body's primary need for plant foods; the main one being the length of the gut itself Carnivores has a short bowel, while herbivores have a bowel length proportionally comparable to humans'.

Researchers looked to the diets of other primates, chimpanzees, monkeys, gorillas and the like. These wild primates are omnivore’s herbivores and opportunistic carnivores. They eat mainly fruits and vegetables; they sometimes eat small animals, lizards, and eggs if given the opportunity. Gorilla and the orang-utans eat between one and two percent of animal foods. The rest of their diet is come from plant foods. It has been put forward by researchers that humans are designed to gain around 1.5 (one point five) percent of their diet in the form of animal foods. Americans derive well over 50 percent of their calories from animal foods.
torjusg said:
Vegetarism is the usual post-modern crazyness we see all around and the only reason why it is so popular today is because most people are completely detached from the realities of life.

Based on the extensive studies examining the rate of diseases in various populations (epidemiological data), including the groundbreaking work of Dr. Price and their own observations of primitive cultures, Burkitt and Trowell formulated the following sequence of events:
First stage: In cultures consuming a traditional diet consisting of whole, unprocessed foods, the rate of chronic diseases, such as heart disease, diabetes, and cancer is quite low.
Second stage: Commencing with eating a more "Western" diet, there is a sharp rise in the number of individuals with obesity and diabetes.
Third stage: As more and more people abandon their traditional diet, conditions that were once quite rare become extremely common.
Examples of these conditions include constipation, haemorrhoids, varicose veins, and appendicitis.
Fourth stage: Finally, with full Westernization of the diet, other chronic degenerative or potentially lethal diseases, including heart disease, cancer, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and gout, become extremely common.

torjusg said:
it would be practically impossible for humans to survive on plants alone in a non-fossile fueled world. Especially on these latitudes.
it takes seven kilograms of grain to produce 1 kilogram of beef;
the conversion is 4-to-1 for pork and 2-to-1 for poultry.
Each kilogram of meat represents several kilograms of grain that could be consumed directly by humans.

To produce 31.2 million tonne of meat in 1993, US farm animals were fed 192.7 million tonne of feed concentrates, mostly corn. Additional feed took the form of roughage and pasture
Animal meat is very wasteful, much of the food eaten by cows for example is converted into manure, energy for movement, and the growth of body parts not eaten by people. Very little can appear as direct edible weight gain. For example, cattle excrete 40 kg of manure for every kilogram of edible beef produced
(source Environment Canada 1995)

To grow enough food to support a meat centred diet for the average Canadian takes 3.5 acres
To grow enough food to support a mainly vegetarian diet 0.5 acres
(source Durning and Brough 1991)

If there were no demand for meat, production would slow down over a few years as more and more people switched diet, the animals currently alive would be used up, and not replaced. The demand would fall and the supply would trail slowly behind it. Cattle would not be raised. The cow’s purpose would come to a natural end. There would not be fields and fields of old cows. There would just not be barns stuffed full of calf’s. Of course wild cattle would still roam the range; just as now wild(ish) buffalos are kept as curios, or for the gourmet who can afford their meat

torjusg said:

Vegetarism is the usual post-modern crazyness we see all around and the only reason why it is so popular today is because most people are completely detached from the realities of life. There are no rights in nature (which we are very much a part of by the way), it is pretty much everyone for himself. Eat and/or be eaten.
:AR15firin :240:

Torjus Gaaren

This is where television as an educator falls down. Too much of anything is bad for you that is why you need to eat a BALANCED diet. Of course, if you eat too many Yams you body will reject it, not because it is bad for you just because there is too much fibre in Yams for them to be eaten exclusively, the recommended amount of dietary fibre is 20-35 grams a day. A single cup serving of Yam has 5.30 grams.

To be healthy in both the short term and long term you need a balanced diet. Made up of the following elements, all easily available from non-meat sources

Carbohydrates
We obtain most of our carbohydrate in the form of starch. This can be found in potato, rice, spaghetti, yams, bread, and cereals.

Proteins
A 6-ounce broiled Porterhouse steak has 38 grams worth of protein. However, it also delivers 44 grams of fat, 16 of them saturated that is almost three-fourths of the recommended daily intake for saturated fat. The same amount of salmon gives you 34 grams of protein and 18 grams of fat, 4 of them saturated
A single cup serving of cooked lentils has 18 grams of protein, but less than 1 gram of fat

Fats
Nuts contain mono-unsaturated fats, polyunsaturated fats
nuts are a good substitute for meat (they contain protein, fat, iron, zinc and niacin). For example, ½ cup of nuts or ¼ cup of seeds or two tablespoons of nut and seed spreads like peanut butter or sesame seed paste is equivalent to a serve of meat.

Vitamins

There are 13 basic vitamins essential for bodily functions: Vitamins A, C, D, E, K, and the B vitamins (thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid, biotin, vitamin B-6, vitamin B-12, and folate). They all can be obtained from food, and vitamin D and vitamin K can be synthesized by the body.
Vitamin A. Beta-carotene comes from carrots, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, winter squashes, cantaloupe, pink grapefruit, apricots, broccoli, and spinach. The more intense the color of a fruit or vegetable, the higher the beta-carotene content.
Vitamin D The body can synthesize vitamin D when the skin is exposed to sunshine.
Vitamin E is found in wheat germ, corn, nuts, seeds, olives, spinach, asparagus, and other green leafy vegetables, vegetable oils, and products made from vegetable oils, such as margarine.
Vitamin K is found in cabbage, cauliflower, spinach, soybeans, and cereals. Bacteria in the intestines normally also produce vitamin K.
Thiamine (vitamin B-1) cereals, pasta, whole grains, fish, dried beans, peas, and soybeans, Fruits, and vegetables contain some thiamine.
Niacin (vitamin B-3) is found nuts Legumes, cereals also supply some niacin.
Folate is found in green, leafy vegetables and many foods are now fortified with it as well.
Vitamin B-12 found in shellfish, and dirty or unwashed vegetable
Pantothenic acid and biotin Found in whole-grain cereals, legumes, yeast, broccoli and other vegetables in the cabbage family, white and sweet potatoes, lean beef, and other foods.
Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) is found in citrus fruits and their juices, strawberries, tomatoes, broccoli, turnip greens and other greens, sweet and white potatoes, and cantaloupe. Most other fruits and vegetables contain some vitamin C
Mineral Salts
Calcium: dark green leafy vegetables
Chromium: Whole grains, brewer's yeast, nuts, dried beans
Copper: Whole grains, nuts, oysters
Iron: dried beans, nuts, dried fruits, whole-grain and enriched grain products
Magnesium: Leafy green vegetables, nuts, whole grains, dried peas and beans,
Phosphorus: grains
Potassium: Fruits, vegetables, nuts, grains, seeds
Selenium: whole-grain breads and cereals,
Sodium: Table salt, vegetables,
Zinc: legumes, nuts, milk, yogurt, whole-grain cereals

Fibre

Fibre is an indigestible complex carbohydrate found in plants. Fibre is not a single food or substance. Fibre in itself has no calories because the body cannot absorb it. Therefore, high fibre foods low in fat are low in calories such as fruits and vegetables. fiber "bulks up" waste and moves it through the colon more rapidly, preventing constipation and possibly colon cancer. The trickiest accomplishments of fibre may lie with the stickiest kinds called gums and pectins, as they may keep cholesterol under control by removing bile acids that digest fat.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
falling rain said:
Sorry Toddy No. We're not all fussier now. I'll eat just about anything. I was brought up to eat whatever I was given, and believe I'm not at all fussy now because I realise I can't eat exactly what I want everyday, and ate what ever I was given...............QUOTE]

Okay, present company excepted :p but in general I think we are fussier, and that we are given more choice than ever before.
I have distinct memories of sitting down to the same meal again for dinner because I refused to eat it for lunch...funny enough it was always roast beef or chicken.. :rolleyes: .....brought up to eat what I was given too, didn't like it then, won't eat it now, I'd rather be hungry.
I hate wasting food but if the birds won't eat it I use it to feed my compost bins and the brandling worms :D Surprising what he birds do eat though, day old cat food goes down a treat :cool: I'm not for putting that on the compost.

Sorry, but Mrs ??? and her beef sandwich and half bottle of red may be demanding but it's not veggie :confused: In a hospital situation I don't think a request for vegetarian/vegan food ought to be considered unusual, but a bottle of red she can get her visitors to supply ;)

Cheers,
Toddy

monkey_pork

Forager
May 19, 2005
Devonshire
Tadpole - nice bit of work there.

The amount of water used in plant vs. animal production is also a big factor - I can't quote the figures without looking for them, but it's a significant difference as far as I can recall (in that animals consume much more water then the same weight of plant foodstuff).

I've been vegan for years, it's a moral issue for me, but it's a simple way of life now. As to it being a modern 'fad', I think that there is plenty of historical record to support a compasionate diet being followed - such as from Jain sources for example.

As a biological hunter-gatherer I know we are built for a different life, but the circumstances in which that life was to be lived, have simply gone. Maybe living an easy life in the west I can choose to be vegan, but that's the world I live in, so the choice is an obvious one - where it a different life, maybe my choice would be different too.

I know other people don't share this view, but there you are - that's just the difference in people.

Reactions: bambodoggy

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
falling rain said:
Blimey Tadpole - your own work or copied and pasted from somewhere ?
I thought Incisors are for cutting and biting as well as Canines?
my work, I wrote it for a different board on the subject of vegetarian and vegan lifestyle. I was replying to any other “all vegetarians are “unnatural “ rant.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
The idea that something is a bad idea because it's "unnatural" is really lousy reasoning anyway.

Reactions: Doc

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
gregorach said:
The idea that something is a bad idea because it's "unnatural" is really lousy reasoning anyway.
don't get me started on natural-v-unnatural, is it "natural" that we are the only race that drinks milk past the weaning age.
There has been eight studies recently that show that drinking milk can increase the risk of cancer either breast (in women) and lung cancer (in men )

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
well said Just trying to think of somthing i wont eat , From Rancid animal fat , to fungus , molluscs to prime steak . I know tinned prunes bout the only thing i dont eat in the normal way of food . Ilan

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
If we were not intended to eat animals, why were they made of meat...

And I do like a fresh bacon sarnie in thick sliced bread and a big dollop of ketchup when out in the sticks...

LS

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Tadpole said:
my work, I wrote it for a different board on the subject of vegetarian and vegan lifestyle. I was replying to any other “all vegetarians are “unnatural “ rant.

Nice bit of work Tadpole - very informative thanks :You_Rock_

I think it's a discussion not a rant. As I've already stated 'each to their own' and people have very good personal reasons for choosing this diet which they are perfectly entitled to have. just I'd noticed a big increase in this chosen dietary way of life over the last decade and wondered the reasons behind it. I must admit that some of the cello wrapped meats from the large supermarket chains do look a bit un-appetising. I'd rather get it from a butcher or organic but don't they charge for the privelage. Anything 'organic' seems to carry a heavy price tag :(

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
falling rain said:
Nice bit of work Tadpole - very informative thanks :You_Rock_

I think it's a discussion not a rant. :(
sorry, this here on this board is "a discussion", however on the board I wrote it for, the thread had decended in to a "them and us" flame-filled rant fest.

I eat small amounts of meat, but not very often, but I don't drink milk.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE