Bergaus Centurio - Questions and alternative suggestions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tallywhacker

Forager
Aug 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Hi

There are a good few questions jumbled into this wall of text so i tried to split it a bit to make it easier to manage, sorry if your eyes start to bleed part way through...

I bought a berghaus vulcan a while ago and have been very happy with it in every manner. It is well made, comfortable, fits me and fits all my gear [plus everybody elses]. Ok, so it is pretty much perfect, with the exception of it being a bit big for solo one nighters.

---
The primary question:
---

I have been looking at the Centurio 45, in fact i pretty much fell in love as it seemed perfect. Same build quality as the vulcan, same fabric and color, quality looking back design and most importantly modular [since i actually don't know what volume i need]; pretty much a scaled down vulcan. All my needs looking covered i was about to buy it when my head kicked in and i realised it has no hip padding, turns out it is one back size too. All in all it appears as if it is not designed to pass the load to the hips and there is no mention of what back size this is suitable for on the official website.

Right, so i went off and read a lot of reviews, people are complaining about the short back but they don't mention if they use the larger or smaller capacity centurio [if it matters]; neither do people really say what they are carrying [not even much of a hint].

I am 6'1", skinny. I currently have the vulcan in the largest size [4 i think] and my full pack weight fluctuates [alcohol]. It tends to come in at 9-10kg [total weight inc food etc] for a one nighter in the woods with the hammock and enough wine. Lighter gear for me means better food and more wine :naughty: So the weight likely wont reduce much over the years. My concerns with this pack are:

1. It is going to dig into my shoulders due to..
  2. The back could be too short
  3. Even if it fits the hip belt will probably be uncomfortable

Anyone out there with experience if this will be the case for my kind of load/build?

---
The rest of this assumes the Centurio will not be comfy:
---

I have looked at the osprey kestrel 38/48/58, the equivalent sized osprey atmos and exos, the karrimor sabres, i think another was the berghaus freeflow of similar size and finally there is the snugpak rocketpack. None of them really seem ideal, in part because i am unsure of the final volume so prefer mmps/plce optional extras.

• All the ospreys seem pretty much similar, decent quality/comfort by the looks of them. A bit too trendy but i can get over that since they are plain. I have the same opinion of the freeflow. Caveats to this bunch being they are fixed capacity.
  • I don't like snugpak as a brand, i have found their gear to be poorly designed in the past, weak, and i really do not like past experiences dealing with their CS staff. However the size looks about right and it is modular. It is the kind of style i would choose too.
  • The sabre seems to be somewhere in the middle. Again, i don't like karrimor as a brand [quality wise i wear their stuff out very quickly]. It is modular. The design i dont care for but it is at least plain.

Any thoughts on these packs or other recommendations? I think i would probably opt for the kestrel or [reluctantly] the snugpak if my hand was forced.

Priorities being:
Comfort > Quality > Appearance > Price

---
The rest of this assumes i go for a fixed capacity:
---

I really don't know yet how important being modular is, the vulcan is so big i simply don't even try and pack things tight in it. So i guess another question is which end of 40-50 litres would be about right? I would guess i fill my vulcan three quarters full using loose fit stuff sacks.

---
Thanks for any and all advice that may follow.. It would be really great to get some input from people who have used some of this kit in the field.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
have you though about a camelpack motherload type bag, you could always attach more pouches if you needed???

just a thought, they are bombproof too, literally.....

tallywhacker

Forager
Aug 3, 2013
United Kingdom
have you though about a camelpack motherload type bag, you could always attach more pouches if you needed???

just a thought, they are bombproof too, literally.....

I just took a look at that and the BFM. They look great packs, truly. Exactly the kind of thing i would go for. They have the padding on the waist too. Initial thought: Why no adjustable back system or sizing system? Again the same scepticism follows..

Perhaps i am missing a good reason many seem to be like this, i thought the reason on the centurio was that it was designed to fit over armor but perhaps there is another reason.. In fact, thinking about it, very few sub 50l bags seem to have an adjustable back and manufacturers seem to also assume the sub 50l packs are too small for backpacking in their sizing charts.. Maybe i am going to have to choose a compromise.

How does the vulcan without side pockets suit you?

I have never even had the need to use the pouches on the vulcan, they just collect dust in the attic. My gear, ignoring food and wine is somewhat good stuff [it is all lightweight, custom diy gear] so i dont actually carry a massive amount relatively speaking. Up the fells for a few days and i have no issue at all with it, its literally perfect for me.

Travelling 300 ish miles [ignoring the return journey] on a narrow train, getting supplies and snagging all the stuff on shelves, then cycling another 20+ miles to the woods is a different story though and i do that at least once a month. I must admit, part of the reason is also the persistent remarks that i look like i am about to invade syria and perhaps have a messerschmitt in there somewhere :lmao: It is BIG. Plus a smaller bag is a kg +/- lighter which means another bottle of wine, better food or perhaps the luxury of tea/coffee for the morning..

I am probably overstating it, it has been perfectly functional for well over a year doing this, but i have some money plus, yknow, new kit that would be a little more practical is always a welcome thing.

Last edited:

tallywhacker

Forager
Aug 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Anyone with a Centurio that can chime in? Despite all the writing it is pretty much a simple case of will the Centurio 45 carry a heavy-is load comfortably on a tall person? From that i should be able to deduce the rest and further suggestions would just be icing on the cake.

Cheers

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Hi Tally, Im 6"3 and slim build and have no problems with the camelpack type / style of patrol pack, with the smaller bags its more a case of how you pack it rather than size of the back support... I regularly do a 8 mile run with 15 kg with no problems...

at the end of the day mate, horses for courses, all you can do is take a punt, or try and borrow one first to see how you like it.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
I have had a kestrel 38 for about 4 years now, simply superb, like a trendy mini bergen. Excellent materials, superb build quality and I think guaranteed for life. I got a green and grey one and it actually blends in quite well.

tallywhacker

Forager
Aug 3, 2013
United Kingdom
[...] its more a case of how you pack it rather than size of the back support...

That's what she said.. I'll leave the room.

I regularly do a 8 mile run with 15 kg with no problems...

at the end of the day mate, horses for courses, all you can do is take a punt, or try and borrow one first to see how you like it.

I think that was the kick in the ar*e needed, I just ordered the centurio 45 and small side pockets. If it turns out to be a bad choice i will comment here for the reference of others.

Thanks for opinions given on other bags too.

Gallus

Nov 17, 2014
Essex
I've just spent a month walking the 796km of the Camino de Santiago with the Centurio 45 (no side pockets) on my back with a fluctuating load of about 13kg of kit. Whilst not the heaviest, the pack was solid enough to endure the process of trudging around 34km a day and the regular taking on and off for rest stops and refilling my platypus.

It lacks a lot of features of the Crusader that I also have, but don't discount it because of what you think it SHOULD have, when what it does have is more than adequate for most mere mortals.

I'm more than happy with it!

Let us know your thoughts when you try yours out!

tallywhacker

Forager
Aug 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Mine arrived the other week and i have done a few test loads with it. I over loaded it with more gear than i usually carry in the vulcan and was happy, albeit i have not travelled far with it yet just a test walk around the village as the opportunity has not come about.

It does indeed have a good number of features, but without being ridiculous. I put the ground matt straps that come with the side pockets on the front molle webbing and fitted the ones from my vulcan onto the lid molle webbing. That keeps waterproofs, tarp and water filter on the outside if i leave the pockets at home and leaves the side straps free for say an axe.

Something that struck me is that although it is indeed tough as boots the stitching was messier, on the insides wherever a bar tack is sewn trailing ends of thread have bunched up. Not good practice, but not enough to have me concerned since it is only on the bar tacks and it doesn't really effect strength on them. Is your like this? Mine is more noticeable in the back stay pocket. Which reminds me, getting the back stays in and out is near impossible on mine! My shoulder straps are hard enough to beat a rottweiller down, have yours softened up?

Don't get me wrong though, this was the right purchase i just tune into minor caveats. It has more space than expected, very usable space too i might add. Its comfortable even with the shoulder straps not broken in. The hip belt works great on the 45 model even without padding, and the load lifters do their job even at my height. The weight is very good when empty, while maintaining the expected durability for a military designed pack [on par with the vulcan]. The side pockets, when fitted, give a great median of size/weight between the centurio 45 and vulcan without pockets.

So far i highly recommend this pack. It really is a mini vulcan/crusader in effect. I don't see this changing on very long hikes unless i am trying to pack a vulcans/crusaders version of a heavy load into it (which is basically the kitchen sink, the family and their pets).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE