Vegetarian black pudding

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
As frequently?

Probably not. Hand on Heart. But I guess that maybe because Vegetarians are a minority so its percentage thing - I don't think its because either side is ethically or morally superior.
If only 10% of group is likely to vocalise public comment and opinion I would expect to see & notice less from the minority group.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I think I'll give this a go, I like the blood version now and then (mainly at the WinterMoot!) but a veg version will work well with my current plant centric eating, if it's bean based it will add to my 30 + different plants a week goal.

Thanks for posting and the conversation about it....

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I think I'll give this a go, I like the blood version now and then (mainly at the WinterMoot!) but a veg version will work well with my current plant centric eating, if it's bean based it will add to my 30 + different plants a week goal.

The food diversity is a good way of thinking about it to be fair.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
That's a good point, variety on foods is needed and whether meat or no meat the only truly important points are whether your diet is healthy and you like it. Nobody needs to like blood based black pudding or non blood based replacement version. It's good if you like it but not bad if you don't.

Imho there's pluses and minuses with everything we do and we have our own opinion on what those are. My only issue with the non meat activists is when they hold too strongly their views. Turning up to empty milk on supermarket floor or throwing paint at people eating meat in a restaurant then they lessen my opinion of them. Similarly a guy buying a burger to eat it exaggerating enjoyment in the face of a vegetarian campaigner does similarly. Strong views on meat or no meat imho is best kept to yourself.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk

Tony - if you are giving more plant foods a go then I recommend the various Hairy Bikers veggie books. Good classic recipes with lots of flavour.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Exactly. Consumer choice. I’m currently choosing not to eat meat wherever it’s derived from.

Agreed but thats the binary polar option isn't it? Not that there is anything wrong with that - your body - your money - your choice.,

But wouldn't it be better as a society for those that remain eating meat ,which is by far the much larger percentage and holds the key of consumer choice to make movement to better welfare standards and better use of an animal ?

Although I was raised on a small holding and have humanely dispatched animals and butchered them I still do care about the welfare and husbandry of animal stock as a whole.

I'm choosing to not eat Lamb ( although i think its delicious ) because I think 12 weeks old/young is too little time for an animal.

I'm pro-veal eating because the opposite of not eating it is pretty much the same.

I just feel the whole subject is more nuanced and needs to be considered carefully for the majority rather than pit people in an Us Vs Them camp mentality. Which tends to be the way these things seem to play out.

Reactions: plastic-ninja

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
Agreed but thats the binary polar option isn't it? Not that there is anything wrong with that - your body - your money - your choice.,
Exactly. If you are keen to eat offal, dead battery chickens, power blasted carcasses formed into ‘ham’ then go for it.

But wouldn't it be better as a society for those that remain eating meat ,which is by far the much larger percentage and holds the key of consumer choice to make movement to better welfare standards and better use of an animal ?

Not at all. The negative environmental effects of eating/producing meat and dairy (and farmed fish etc) also affects me and my family.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Not seen that before. I’m going down to the shops in a bit so will have a look.
I wouldn't attempt a huge cake with it but my OH often makes an apple sponge with it and it works fine. It's ideal if you don't use many eggs as it has a much longer shelf life. Not all Tescos seem to stock it though.

Another good find is Lidl vegan 'sausages' which brings me back to some of the points raised earlier. I would say they are more of a long vegan croquette as there's no skin on them but I expect less people would know what to do with them. Calling them sausages means someone can pick a packet up for their vegan friend/partner/child etc and know they can be cooked and served like a typical sausage.

• Haha
Reactions: Poacherman

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
I wouldn't attempt a huge cake with it but my OH often makes an apple sponge with it and it works fine. It's ideal if you don't use many eggs as it has a much longer shelf life. Not all Tescos seem to stock it though.

Another good find is Lidl vegan 'sausages' which brings me back to some of the points raised earlier. I would say they are more of a long vegan croquette as there's no skin on them but I expect less people would know what to do with them. Calling them sausages means someone can pick a packet up for their vegan friend/partner/child etc and know they can be cooked and served like a typical sausage.
I picked up a box. I’ll use them camping to make drop scones and my OH can try them in a sponge.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Not at all. The negative environmental effects of eating/producing meat and dairy (and farmed fish etc) also affects me and my family.

Well, if I wished to be as flippant as you in your initial response Nigel I respectfully suggest you toot off and find another planet to colonise!! :)

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
Well, if I wished to be as flippant as you in your initial response Nigel I respectfully suggest you toot off and find another planet to colonise!! :)
It’s not flippant. I’m just not going to write a massive load of words when they are unnecessary.
Everyone has an equal right to an opinion when the outcome affects us all. That could be say air pollution caused by a road - would it be only the drivers of the cars who are the ‘larger percentage’ users of the road who decide if they reduce the speed limit etc. It would be reasonable for those that live alongside the road etc to also have an opinion.
Similarly if the production of cheap shed chicken causes massive levels of nitrate in rivers or risks causing new diseases then that affects me or my family so I have an opinion.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
The OP was about vegetarian black pudding- I don’t seem to recall ‘inviting’ a conservation about meat ethics etc. ;)

Fairly glib comment even if tongue ( hmmm boiled cow tongue... ) in cheek ( hmmm Pigs Jowl... ) , even if offalled in good humour.

Thats the thing unfortunately about Forums - you don't have a right to invite only comments or opinions that suit your particular world view.

Most of this thread has been interesting and i can see your initial irritation and annoyance to someone questioning the provenance or etymology of the term ' Black Pudding ' when used in vegetarian food stuffs.

I'm going to leave it there , no point falling out with someone over personal opinions if they are easily triggered emotionally and there is still plenty more meat on the bone for others to chew upon, gristle and all.

Reactions: plastic-ninja

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
Fairly glib comment even if tongue ( hmmm boiled cow tongue... ) in cheek ( hmmm Pigs Jowl... ) , even if offalled in good humour.

Thats the thing unfortunately about Forums - you don't have a right to invite only comments or opinions that suit your particular world view.

Most of this thread has been interesting and i can see your initial irritation and annoyance to someone questioning the provenance or etymology of the term ' Black Pudding ' when used in vegetarian food stuffs.

I'm going to leave it there , no point falling out with someone over personal opinions if they are easily triggered emotionally and there is still plenty more meat on the bone for others to chew upon, gristle and all.
No, no. I’m not irritated in the slightest. I’m just not that bothered to write loads. You can carry on as you like. :)

Reactions: Wandjina

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
No, no. I’m not irritated in the slightest. I’m just not that bothered to write loads. You can carry on as you like. :)

Of course you arn't . :)

"The meaty snow flakes are going go full Piers Morgan when they see these in the supermarket!"

< Whats that river that runs through Egypt again??? >

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE