Vege, vegan or carnivore

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
By preference I eat Paleo with veg below 6% carb content. By life and social interaction what ever is put in front of me. I would say that the veggie/vegan diet must be managed well to keep up the levels of protien, but beyond that its jim dandy and has multipule benefits as do all non toxic diets.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Glad you said that, Tony. We have a few vegie/vegan friends but many of them eat cheap rubbish from the supermarket and never think about soil welfare or how the vegetables are grown. This feels strange to me as many of them are quite "green-washed" (Ooops!) yet have no concept of what it takes to grow vegetables, fruit, grains, etc properly. And we have a lot farmers' markets and small organic producers in Hereforshire where you can buy good stuff and at a good price that goes directly to the producer and not some middleman. :dunno: thinking doesn't seem to be a prevalent pastime to them ...

TBH when talking about eating "healthy" as a vegetarian or vegan, it has less to do with being organic or how it was grown (although as Toddy pointed out, pesticide use does matter) The biggest thing is to manage to get a balanced diet without resorting to animal products. It can be done, but it takes conscious effort. And also as Toddy pointed out, it can be difficult when eating out where the restaurants don't give it much thought.

I need to add here that while I said I'm omnivorous, my daughter's a Celiac. We face a similar problem with ensuring adequate fiber. And most restaurants make it difficult with the gravies and sauces added to the main meat dishes so that protien can also be a problem when eating out.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Paleo sounds interesting, but the reality is that we are the 'cooking ape', and all too often paleo diets don't take that into proper account.
Humans can make almost anything edible, and digestible, by cooking it. Our entire digestive system, from teeth to gut shows that we are no longer designed to eat 'unprocessed' food in general.
The variety isn't so much a question of potential as available :)

On the choice option for meat eaters in vegetarian restaurants.....well I manage, but like a good Jewess who keeps dairy seperately, I keep specific pots, pans, utensils, etc., for meat prep and cooking.
Personally I like vegan restaurants because there's no potential for me to suffer a fish allergy attack :D The blasted stuff is even in Worcester sauce.

cheers,
M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'm sorry MrCharly and Toddy,

I was just being Devils advocate. There are few enough veggie only eateries so why make them serve meat, even as a token gesture. Allergies can be a problem, the old chief in our local hotel was given 2 weeks forewarning of a couple of gluten free covers for a planned meal... and had wheat loaded products throughout the meal. He just didn't get the concept, but could have made one of the lassies quite ill. I imagine fish can be a mare too.

Personally I like the challenge to cook for allergy sufferers as often folk take an easy root with them and serve something boring. Not fond of folk just being faddy though, mainly 'cause as a kid you ate what was there, or else.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....Personally I like vegan restaurants because there's no potential for me to suffer a fish allergy attack :D The blasted stuff is even in Worcester sauce.

cheers,
M

There seems to be some evidence now that it might not always be a "fish" allergy. I seems that more often it's the mercury content of seafood that causes the allergy.

That said, the research is inconclusive and I suppose it really doesn't matter if it's the fish or the contained mercury that causes the reaction.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I'm sorry MrCharly and Toddy,

I was just being Devils advocate. There are few enough veggie only eateries so why make them serve meat, even as a token gesture.

As I said, it would be a very significant major cost to the restaurant. It's not just about keeping a bit of meat in the freezer. There would have to be special separate prep areas, utensils, extra requirements on the kitchen hygiene inspections.

Don't get me started on chefs who don't check ingredients when serving to people with allergies.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
It never fails to amuse me that it's the carnivores who are more intolerant of the vegetarians, on this site, rather than vice versa :rolleyes:

I eat meat and vegetables and fruit and grain and a lot of other things too. I am not a carnivore because I eat things other than meat. I am not an omnivore as I will not eat bugs. I will eat snails, winkles, shellfish though and some think those are icky. I also nearly went veggie once.

Despite nearly becoming a veggie I am now slightly intolerant of vegetarianism and veganism because I have a minor irritation with the terminology people use. Like vegetarians who eat fish. Vegans who wear leather or indeed eat or use anything that has had animal products or by-products in their manufacture or use. I was always under the impression that vegans did not eat or use anything that involved animals. If so then it is actually hard to be a vegan. I know I am being intolerant and completely picky. That it is the attempt to be a vegan that is important not the fine print. I just would prefer some new term for veganism that accepts they are only trying their best to be vegan but accept they are unlikely to achieve that status in the modern age of industrial food production and industrialised manufacturing utilizing chemicals and other materials derived from animal waste parts. I am not going as deep as counting petroleum products just things like dyes obtained from shrimp shells or wines made using fish derived chemicals in the wine or in the vinification process. We are so far from a natural, organic world that trying to claim that status whether through "being organic" or being vegan we are only fooling ourselves. Cynical me I guess!!!!

I believe people should just be honest and live the way they feel they should. IMHO there is no hierarchy of conscience with food eating types. The Vegan can't claim superiority o ver veggies or veggies over meat due to animal suffering. There is nothing wrong with any food eating types.

Veggie restuarants being made to offer meat just because meat restaurants offer veggie/vegan dishes?? Makes me laugh. Have you actually tried to eat veggie or vegan meals in normal restaurants?? Jeez! They are tiny portions and pretty poor in most places. I nearly went veggie because I went off the texture of meat for a while (saved by a near perfect sirloin steak!! MMM!!!!) so I know how poor they are. I am even of the opinion that restaurants who do offer veggie options think that all veggies are on a diet, perhaps all are women too if that is not being too sexist. Afterall men tend to eat more IME and all veggie options I've had are more like kiddie portions. A very good veggie restaurant in Ambleside called Zeffirelli's. Do give it a try if in the area.

Lyope

Tenderfoot
Sep 6, 2012
London
www.lyope.com
I'm a vegetarian for ethical and religious reasons. I take my inspiration from Buddhist monks who wear leather sandals if they have to walk far or eat meat products if they are put in their begging bowls in ignorance. For them, throwing animal protein away is possibly even worse than killing an animal for food in the first place.

If pushed, I define as a pragmatic vegetarian. I chose not to eat meat - but I appreciate that in order for me to eat at all, chances are, something will have had to suffer. If you drink milk or eat cheese, animals will suffer. If you eat eggs, animals will suffer. It's all about drawing a line in the sand and doing your best. Some peoples' line is a little further in the other direction - for instance my partner eats only ethically sourced meat, or even better, meat that she's killed herself. Some peoples' line is a little closer - many of my friends are vegans and I very much enjoy cooking and eating with them because they are usually massive foodies.

All that said, I ate a lump of (cooked) roadkill rabbit at a camp a few years ago.

It was bloody horrible.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I'll eat anything and everything in moderation, thats a healthy approach to your diet. Once a person starts on the veggie/paleo nonsense they're on the slippery slope to herbalism and scientology and my opinions of those are well known here ;)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I eat meat and vegetables and fruit and grain and a lot of other things too. I am not a carnivore because I eat things other than meat. I am not an omnivore as I will not eat bugs. I will eat snails, winkles, shellfish though and some think those are icky.....

What kind of shellfish? If you eat shrimp, crab, lobster, etc. Then actually you are indeed eating bugs. just because they have gills rather than lungs doesn't change that; they're still bugs.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....Despite nearly becoming a veggie I am now slightly intolerant of vegetarianism and veganism because I have a minor irritation with the terminology people use. Like vegetarians who eat fish. Vegans who wear leather or indeed eat or use anything that has had animal products or by-products in their manufacture or use. I was always under the impression that vegans did not eat or use anything that involved animals.....

I know some people who do indeed avoid using animal products in any way. However veganism is nothing more than a dietary description as far as I've ever been taught. Not everyone who chooses a vege or vegan diet does it for ethical/moral/religious reasons. Some people just don't like meat and/or animal products. Others do it for health reasons. Neither of those would affect their choice of wearing leather or fur.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Carnivore, mostly any meat but I have flat out refused to eat chicken since I was 5 or 6.
I only eat fish I catch my self, but that's more a personal choice and it dosent apply to shellfish.

Bread and pulses.
The only veg i actively seek out is Sweet Corn.

Last edited:

woodpoet

Mar 16, 2012
Walthamstow
I am a Vegan. My partner is African descent so have lots of African food such as Yam, Sweet potato. Okra. I am well looked after, especially by her Mum.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
What kind of shellfish? If you eat shrimp, crab, lobster, etc. Then actually you are indeed eating bugs. just because they have gills rather than lungs doesn't change that; they're still bugs.
Technically you are right. Well, you are right whichever way you look at it. I eat shrimp, prawn, langoustines, etc. The smaller ones I'll only eat in their prepared state where they look like curvy protein. Can't stand their legs, antennae, etc. Larger ones like langoustines to lobsters I'll eat in their cooked but natural state. By bugs I mean land bugs, wriggleys and the like. I'm a big girls blouse when it comes down to them.

Either way I'll not eat everything so not an omnivore.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have freind that is a vegan raw food chef and chocolateer. Her food is utterly lush, and her chocolate is most addictive I have ever eaten. We pet/house sitted a few weeks ago. She has a huge aga she heats the house and water with, and most people cook on. Two hours of working out how it cook on it, then find out although she had a huge collection of blenders, she has no cooking pots. We ate baked potatoes for two days.

I like vegan food, I feel really healthy after eating it, but not in the longer term, not for me. I like indian and rastafarian veggie the most, although mango with ginger fried in ghee probably isnt much of healthy choice.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
The only thing I don't like about vegan food is when I have tried it and it's pretended to be meat or dairy it's tasted rank. Give me a honest vegan dish and I will give it a honest to goodness try.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yes. Why pretend :dunno: A lot of those fake meat things I just cannot eat; they're repulsive. Fake hotdogs was the worst one ever :yuck:

A burger or sausage shaped veggie something or other, fine, no worries.....basic food presentation that. Easy to fit on a roll, or cook and serve; but chicken or pork flavoured ?? sorry, but that would in good broad Scots, "Fair gie ye the dry boak".

M

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I love meat. But if I have the choice I only eat meat that I find or meat that has lived a good life.

But when I'm at mcDonalds I think: This cow is in elysium, and it's already dead!!!
Might as well eat it:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE