Vege, vegan or carnivore

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I like pretty much everything bar celery and Brussel sprouts (the devils testicles). Love fish, Oh I just love good food. I did know a fruitarian many years ago, though not a strict one. Fruitarians only eat fruit as it would be dropped from the plant with no harm coming to the main plant. Strict ones only eat naturally dropped fruit. The chap I new ate picked stuff too. He wasn't very healthy and was ill all the time.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Omnivorous mostly. There are a few things I can't bring myself to eat or have tried but really, really don't like; Mountain Oysters, Haggis, Calamari, Escargo. cooked Spinach (unless it's well hidden in another recipes such as a Grits Casserole)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It never fails to amuse me that it's the carnivores who are more intolerant of the vegetarians, on this site, rather than vice versa :rolleyes:

I like marmite, but vegemite is a bit extreme :)

Toddy

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
We've changed what we eat over the last month odd, we're much more vegetarian now and have a bit of meat now and then or if we're being fed by others, we're trying to do lots of fruit, veg, greens, beans etc it's going well so far. WE've cut down on dairy a lot, so with that and less meat our tendency is to eat less rubbish all together and our food bill has probably gone down a bit.

It's amazing how easy it is to eat vegetarian but not healthy, it still needs the same effort to make the right choices.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
... It's amazing how easy it is to eat vegetarian but not healthy, it still needs the same effort to make the right choices.

Glad you said that, Tony. We have a few vegie/vegan friends but many of them eat cheap rubbish from the supermarket and never think about soil welfare or how the vegetables are grown. This feels strange to me as many of them are quite "green-washed" (Ooops!) yet have no concept of what it takes to grow vegetables, fruit, grains, etc properly. And we have a lot farmers' markets and small organic producers in Hereforshire where you can buy good stuff and at a good price that goes directly to the producer and not some middleman. :dunno: thinking doesn't seem to be a prevalent pastime to them ...

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I'm an 'ingredient watcher'; I read the ingredient list on everything. Started doing it when I had a sick child who reacted to seemingly everything, now I can't tolerate wheat I do it for my own sakes.

For me, The Co-op gets a huge thumbs up. Tries to make all its own-brand stuff UK sourced; the pork sausages are fab, really tasty, no bulking with breadcrumbs and the pork is British.

sorry for the diversion.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've been vegetarian so long that unless eating out, I find it really easy to find a huge variety :) Eating out is usually spuds and salad in some form or other :rolleyes:

I know meat eaters get a lot of stick about being organic, animal welfare, etc., but y'know ? budgets are tight for most folks.
Most families shop at the supermarkets for both convenience and price. Generally families aim for quality enough at a reasonable price. If that means factory farmed chicken and pigs, that's the way it works. Let's just keep pushing for improvements.....and remember that British is Best for that too :)

It's the same with vegetables. There's a heck of a lot of rhetoric spouted about organic this and that being better for us and the environment, but it's all 'organic' at the end of the day.
It's the quality thing again. Fewer chemicals as weedkillers, as pesticides and fungicides mean that the food is often three or four times the price. Does anyone else wonder why ? Lower crop yields and smaller markets at the price, I suppose.

Farmers markets once a month just doesn't do for family shopping. Nice for special bits and pieces but expensive and limited in their range. The reality is what most folks can afford and they aim for middle ground.

I like seasonality :) I like real flavour, I don't like fruit picked so green that it takes ten days in the house before it's fit to eat.
I do like 'local', but we can't grow oranges here, or pineapples, or basil and tomatoes outdoors, so imported and glasshouse reared are normal if we want those.

A lady running a B&B had American visitors and they were incredibly upset that she didn't freshly squeeze the orange juice she offered with breakfast. They couldn't get their heads round the fact that on the islands six oranges might easily cost £3 or £4...to make two wee glasses of juice. Oranges don't grow locally, even with our mild, temperate climate.
That's the analogy. Now make that 'organic' oranges :rolleyes: and watch the price soar.

I've been a housewife since I was 14. There has never been so much food, or such variety of food, available. Most of it's very good food too. Yes it needs a bit of reading the labels and consumer awareness, but generally the population is well fed, no one's starving, animal welfare is on a upwards curve and the farmlands are healthy. It's easy to get fresh fruit and vegetable all year round nowadays :D and not just kale or seaweeds or pickles.

What we choose to eat, vegetarian, vegan, fruitarian, piscarian, carnivore, omnivore, is personal choice, and digestion.

cheers,
Toddy

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The wife's a veggy, it's a texture thing rather than the ethics of it, don't even get her started on the barrel scrapings that ICI churn out called quorn. I'll eat pretty much anything that's going, as long as it's dead.

Plenty of pasta and veg with proper meals containing meat a couple of times a week.

resnikov

I like marmite, but vegemite is a bit extreme :)

INFIDEL, vegemite is the best! :)

We're happy little Vegemites
As bright as bright can be.
We all enjoy our Vegemite
For breakfast, lunch, and tea.
Our mummies say we're growing stronger
Every single week,
Because we love our Vegemite
We all adore our Vegemite
It puts a rose in every cheek.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
One thing Toddy, you say about tolerance. If on the rare occasion I go out for a meal I take a veggie friend or a gluten intolerant one there's always an option for them. If I go for an ethnic meal and the person doesn't like food of that region, they usually do a European palate dish like chicken Maryland or something twee like that. Why when I go to a veggie restaurant is there no meat option.
PS I like veggie food, but there should be an option.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Why when I go to a veggie restaurant is there no meat option.
PS I like veggie food, but there should be an option.
Because the restaurant would have to invest in separate storage for the meat, cooking area would have to be set aside and cleaned afterwards; a major investment to cater to an occasional order.

A meat/veg restaurant has to have veg prep, storage etc anyway. It's no extra cost to them to offer vegetarian dishes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE