Variation on a Bow saw. My own design

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I must say I like your design, excellent thinking, easy and lightweight and as can be seen be assembled from foraged materials. I consider trying to put it togetherr without screws, tying the blade to the frame somehow, as well as tying the wood together. That way there'd be no risk losing the bolts, just take another piece of string.
What I can't figure out however is how you got your cat to wear a black leather glove ;)

just take the other three off, Simples!

billybob0987

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2011
Eastbourne
finished this today
19082011122.jpg

19082011121.jpg

19082011120.jpg

billybob0987

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2011
Eastbourne
sorry had to take the cats to the vets and only just had time to get the pics uploaded, the blade is in the middle, if you look at the last pic, to fold it, the cord is untwisted and comes of the notch at the bottom, but stays on the top bit, the top part of the tee rotates clockwise till the blade sits in a groove in the wood, then the lower part of the tee drops down so the blade sits in a groove in that bit, and the cord and tension holdey thingamajig just get wrapped round the rest, then it looks like pic one

its got a notch and pin for the lower part of the tee to sit in (see pic 2) so theres no nut and bolt, putting it together is all done by the cord and thingamajig, so it should be easy even in gloves, and theres no loosing anything cause everything always attached, i not sure how strong this will be but so far seems fine

couple of things i did wrong on it though, because i put the notch on the lower section rather than the top its folded length is longer than the blade so takes up more space, i think if i make another i'll swap them so the folded length is the same as the blade, plus i rushed it a little bit and didnt really check i had made the groove big enough before glueing and made them a bit tight, but to be honest i was more interested in the theory than the finish on this one, and making it gave me several ideas for other possible variations, so i might be making a few more in the near future

you wouldnt call it pretty if you saw it though, its pretty rough to be honest, nothing like the quality of yours, plus its bulkier and heavier

Last edited:

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland

10354.JPG

Aaron's is better. As far as I can see the tubular one is a fixed "T", so wont fold down flat. The blade is the hypotenuse of the triangle, and is longer than the upright section too. So no way of storing it within the tube without it extending beyond the end, even if it would fit, which I doubt.

Biker's is also a piece of surpeme craftsmanship. Very impressed.

billybob0987

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2011
Eastbourne
had a go with the saw today, it work better than i expected, it has very slight play in the joint, but less than i was expecting, and to be honest i think its from me being a bit shody when i was making it, i also need a new blade cause i have had this one for a few years now and its getting rather blunt, made a little video opening and closing it to show what i was trying to say in the last post,
[video=youtube;oLrW47Y6T5g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLrW47Y6T5g[/video]

i also found that my brother had borrowed my hacksaw at some point and still hasnt brought it back, which was a nuissance as i need to shorten a bolt, but fortunately i found another blade, so...
20082011135.jpg

20082011136.jpg

worked really well, again the blade was blunt, but i found it down the back of the workbench so you cant really expect much, made it through the bolt alright, so thats the main thing

Last edited:

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Now that's really clever! Love the way you adapted my own design, streamlined it even further and got the whole thing working in seconds. Well done!

Had to watch the fiml clip a few times to see that wristy twisty action but I understand how you did it now. Bit like balloon bending really, a lot harder than it looks but oce you know how... Anyway many thanks for showing this.

Hey nice idea with the hacksaw too. I did wonder about that variation but figured you can't give the hacksaw half as much wellie as you would normally, and those blades do get hot.

Thanks for taking my idea onto the next level. "This time next year Rodders..."

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE