Using the Swedish army issue trangia with hexamine or spirits?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
eek, will have to be careful then, or might just use the burner for my SAT like you did.

I can see the pure alcohol is not available to buy so I guess just standard methylated spirits will be what I get. I'll be sure to do my testing to know how much to bring with me. I'm hoping no more than 1 litre will do me for the 12 day hike.

Its not going to fall apart on you, just take it and use it you will be fine, just use meths, don't dilute it, neat.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I upgraded mine with a proper Trangia potlifter as the one it came with was rubbish but it's a good set, very compact & great value for what it is. I wish I'd packed it instead of my SAT on a recent walk-in.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
I upgraded mine with a proper Trangia potlifter as the one it came with was rubbish but it's a good set, very compact & great value for what it is. I wish I'd packed it instead of my SAT on a recent walk-in.

Nice, can you link me to where I can the genuine trangia potlifter, please.
Also I just checked my SAT for the rubber o-ring inside the burner lid and it's not there, the cheeky bugger who sold it me as new!

I bought some meths from ASDA last night and gave the burner a go and it really dawned on me just what the hell I was playing at using solid hexi over this beautiful meths! I will be experimenting with the "bang for buck" of using meths as a fuel so I can decide if carrying meths over solid hexi will result in my ultimate aim of reducing pack weight.

p.s yeah I see them on ebay thanks wook. Also is "paintbrush cleaner" methylated spirit or something else, because I've got a huge 2 litre can of it here!

Last edited:

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
just tried methylated spirit and I'm very impressed with the results. 15ml aka one tablespoon burned for 10 minutes indoors at room temperature. I couldn't burn a hexi block indoors to match the room temp that meths was in so wouldn't of been a fair test but going to re-do the timings outdoors later tonight and compare the two fuels.

I found an old rubber o-ring from an old espresso maker and cut it to size and it fits nicely inside the burner lid.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Also I just checked my SAT for the rubber o-ring inside the burner lid and it's not there, the cheeky bugger who sold it me as new!

I bought some meths from ASDA last night and gave the burner a go and it really dawned on me just what the hell I was playing at using solid hexi over this beautiful meths! I will be experimenting with the "bang for buck" of using meths as a fuel so I can decide if carrying meths over solid hexi will result in my ultimate aim of reducing pack weight.

p.s yeah I see them on ebay thanks wook. Also is "paintbrush cleaner" methylated spirit or something else, because I've got a huge 2 litre can of it here!

NO! most paintbrush cleaner is petroleum-based, and is NOT a good idea in a meths burner!

To throw the cat amongst the pigeons, look at this http://www.etowahoutfittersultralightbackpackinggear.com/etowah-II-alcohol-stove.html for a very lightweight alcohol burner. A good video review is here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylpz_3SsymY.

I have one and agree with everything the reviewer says. You would need to add a pan to this, but there are many that weigh very little and still bring you in well below the SAT kit. Personally I love the SAT kit, but I don't do long hikes. If I did, I'd want something like the Etowah 11! I got mine ($25 plus shipping - can't remember how much but pretty reasonable I remember) shipped to the UK.

Last edited:

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Last edited:

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Asaklitt Spirit Stove just arrived and I just got my digi scales out for some weighing time fun!

Asaklitt Spirit Stove, complete 598g
Asaklitt Spirit Stove minus the strap, handle and large bowl 432g

First impressions are that while cleverly designed the quality of the aluminium is poor, it feels rough as hell and I have my doubts about the safety of cooking/eating from these pots!

The SAT is 880g in it's complete form, minus the empty issued meths bottle, so this Asaklitt is 282g lighter. Not a major difference, but I'm sure it boils quicker than the SAT as the design looks ingenius.

TO be honest though I'll probably end up using the Etowah as it looks a lot lighter, but I might even use the Asaklitt meths burner with it as mixing and matching pieces from different stove kits is part of the rockstar lifestyle!

Still need a nice mug with lid for the cooking vessel on the Etowah and after much browsing and research I've found 3 contenders...

Primus Litech Trek Pot/Kettle 1 litre 400g
Optimus Terra Solo - 600ml 200g
Optimus Terra Weekend HE 950ml 275g question: is the heat sink/spreader on the bottom of this pot a provden design or a gimmick??
Alpkit MytiMug 750ml 110g

Last edited:

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Still need a nice mug with lid for the cooking vessel on the Etowah and after much browsing and research I've found 3 contenders...

Primus Litech Trek Pot/Kettle 1 litre 400g
Optimus Terra Solo - 600ml 300g
Optimus Terra Weekend HE 950ml 300g question: is the heat sink/spreader on the bottom of this pot a provden design or a gimmick??
Alpkit MytiMug 750ml 110g

Thats 4 contenders???

Why not just get a gas stove with a pot and take a plastic mug.. That way you can have a brew while cooking say some soup....

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Ok I went for the Alpkit MytiMug which is 110 grams and holds 750ml. The 200 grams I saved by going for the titanium mug over the aluminium can be used for extra alcohol fuel.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Not really interested in gas at the moment to be honest. I want to see how light I can go with an alcohol stove. I reckon the full kit being stove, pot and windshield , under 250g!

The alpkit timymug arrived and I'm not impressed with the size. Logic tells me that only the minimalist/ultralighters will buy these, so one can also assume that these people will not be taking any other pots or pans with them and so will be solely relying on this mug for both cooking their food and brewing drinks, but the problem is you'd never be able to cook a proper sized dehydrated meal in one of these so really they are only useful for day hikes and absolutely no use whatsoever for extended trips... crap! Where the hell can I get a titanium pot just like the Alpkit, but wider and not at the stupid prices they go at. £25 was more than enough for this thing! I may have to go back to aluminium, which I'm fine with. Might just use the ****e alu pots than came with the akaslitt stove, lol.

Last edited:

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
if you need O rings for the SAT then military mart sell spares very cheap
oring for the army burner is a quid

http://www.militarymart.co.uk/index.php?_a=product&product_id=886

spare meths bottle is a quid

http://www.militarymart.co.uk/index.php?_a=product&product_id=1049

and the windshield is £1.50
http://www.militarymart.co.uk/index.php?_a=product&product_id=1050

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
thanks for the links spirit walker!

The Etowah II stove arrived after I finally paid the extortionate customs fee after being ransomed with a royal mail card through the door. The boil times are pretty much the same as the Akasalitt although far lighter in weight. The mini brass trangia burner in the Akasalitt stove fits the outer burner pot of the Etowah II perfectly...

12eavwfm2uk3j8trzkp.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE