Unsuccessful search for lightweight simple high leather boots, close to trail shoes flexibility

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Swotty, can you let on haw these worked out for you? And is the sole easily replaceable. Looks like it might wear quickly.

- Cheers
I imagine the sole would be replaceable but I'm no expert! I've had mine at least six years and although not worn constantly they are worn regularly (they're not waterproof so not worn so much in the winter) and really don't have a great deal of wear to the soles. They certainly seem more robust than my more recently acquired Scarpas.
Hope that helps.

Sent from Somerset using magic

Reactions: Billy-o

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Does :) Though only insamuch as I will now go buy said items. lol

Did you find they fit right first time?
Haha...I have the same problem

Yes, if anything they are generous but I'm a size 10 and the 10 fits. Just tried to look at the label on them to see if it's euro sizing or UK but it's not visible anymore so don't know if they're 44 or 45. They are a wide for but that works for me. The Ray Mears website used to sell them, don't know if they still do but if so they're good with returns/exchanges.

Sent from Somerset using magic

Reactions: Billy-o

DanB3000

Jan 16, 2021
UK
Hello everyone,

I happen to be quite unsuccessful in my search for the ideal boots so I came in hope to find enlightenment thanks to your wisdom and knowledge.
I'm a simple man searching for simple things, but apparently this is a harder task today than one may think at first.
So I'm looking for what would be (to me) the ideal outdoor shoes : a lightweight pair of leather boots, high shaft (between 15 and 18cm), sewn tong, flat and flexible soles, laces, no padding, no waterproof membrane, no fancy stuff, no awfully expensive price.
That's it.
And well, I found only one pair that could fit my needs, which is the Byteks cobra boots, and that's all, which I find quite odd as to me, this is what I would call basic outdoor boots for stuff outside trails.

Would some of you have other options in mind that would fit the bill and help me extend my list from one model to more than one by any chance ?
You need Jaga Flex from GEA Waldviertler in Austria.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.

DanB3000

Jan 16, 2021
UK
I am going to Devon this summer so am going to get fitted for greenshoes boots. Not cheap, but made to measure and tick each of your specifications.

Yeah, thought about those but can get GEA boots cheaper and somehow I trust the Austrians to make good boots!

Namar

Tenderfoot
Jun 21, 2016
Europe
some Waldviertler boots seems to perfectly fit the bill indeed, i've got other priorities for my money at the moment, but i do hope i'll find the right opportunity to get my hands on a pair some day.
Dartmoor seems fine but quite out of my price range.
As for AKU, they rather make usual walking/trekking/etc... boots for what i remember

Reactions: DanB3000

Smudge

Forager
Jan 20, 2004
West Midlands
I know this is an old thread but it's been an interesting read, I've been looking for what I feel is something similar.

The closest I've gotten is the idea of buying a decent pair of leather Chukka Boots and modifying (building them up) to the required height.

I just have to find some in store to try on because I have large wide feet and sizing is often problematic.

Coastal73

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2021
Cawston Okanagan
Hello there. The Norwegian M77 boots sold by Varusteleka are quite wide fitting last. I bought a pair last winter and have worn them a lot and like them for their comfort and quality. There are some Swedish made surplus boots that are also quite wide. What size are you? Some surplus stores carry the Swedish boots in black or brown and they are cheap as borscht $30 herooutdoors.com has them. Waterproofed rubberized leather bottoms and nice leather upper with rubber sole made by Tretorn in the 1960’s.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE