University OTC

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Hi all,
Lots of ex-military guys on here so I thought it would be worth a probe and ask some questions!!

Basically I've got a place at sandhurst already and am heavily involved with CCF at school, but I am going to university first (in 2010 probably) and I heard there was a university style ccf called the otc (Officer training core or something) ,

could anyone tell me anything more about it??
Thanks
Wil

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Hi Wilderbeast

Ive not been in the OTC myself but a few of my past collegues have. From what I understand its is a step up from the cadets but is not the same as the TA. I dont think you are classed as serving but are more like a reservist.
However I still think you have to attend regular exercises and parades and will be issued with all the usual green stuff.
One thing that is worth knowing is that you will be able to go on all the same personal development and Adventurous Training courses as the rest of the forces, anything from ski-ing to sub aqua, parachuting to mountaineering, if its avalible you can do it!
The idea being that as a future Officer you will be leading your guys and girls on AT.
I would certainly reccommend joining the OTC before going to Sandhurst, it will stand you in good stead for when you start your career.
Well done on getting offered a commision! PM me if you want more information.
Ed

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I did 6 years in Aberdeen OTC. It was fantastic. I was taught a great deal (building bridges, use of plastic explosives, signals, expended several thousand rounds on the range, even had a flying lesson at RAF Leuchars) but the best thing is undoubtedly the comradeship.

There was a selection weekend as there are more applicants than places, but ex-cadets would generally have an advantage.

You are enlisted in to the territorial army, but it is what is termed a group B enlistment. So you are legally a member of the armed forces - you are attested (swearing to defend her Majesty to the last round and last man, etc), you sign the Official secrets act, you are paid for your service, and you are subject to miltary law when on duty. You are not, however liable for callup for active service. You can easily be excused attending annual camp if it would affect your studies, but you would lose your bounty.

Recommended.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
My experience with the Edinburgh University OTC (I wasn't a student) was a good one, they have/had an artillery section, initially we would spend our weekends in Northumberland blowing up old tanks with second world war 25-pounder guns, later we 'upgraded' to 105 mm pack howitzers.

I much preferred the 25-pounder, however I think the British Army ran out of ammunition to fire and that forced the change, in the last months there were all sorts of odd shells and fuses turning up for us to "get rid off".

Bags of fun.

:)

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Just reading "The Young Officers Reading Club" by Patrick Hennessy. Nice quote in there from an officer who advised him against OTC: "that way when you're sat in a field at Sandhurst getting ****** on and miserable, at least it'll have novelty value".

:)

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Just be sure you don't become one of the young regular ruperts that think they know it all.
The best young officers are those that take advice from the NCO's which are the backbone of the Army. getting the respect of the junior ranks is a major thing and this is the best way of going about it!
Good luck, and congrats on getting into Sandhurst. I hope you enjoy the OTC it sounds alot of fun!

SiWhite

Nomad
Apr 1, 2007
Deepest North Hampshire
Congrats on passing RCB or whatever it's called these days!

I was a CCF cadet, then joined the TA while at Uni (got a TA commission so already had a taste of Sandhurst by the time I went there for the long course) then went onto the Regular Commissioning Course.

TA will teach you to be a much better leader if you get commissioned or get an NCO's job (should really aim for the former in three years), OTC will better prepare you for Sandhurst as it gets you into the correct frame of mind. With the OTC, you'll only ever be 'leading' your mates around, and they'll pretty much do what you ask. In the TA, if you ask the unreasonable or unachievable, you'll be told so in no uncertain terms.

Again, PM if any more info required.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE