Camouflage Clothing and ex-Military gear - for or against?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
Maybe these are silly questions but I’ll ask them anyway. And before I do, I am not trying to offend anyone or say that anything someone else is doing is wrong.
So here’s my Question No.1. In the context of bushcrafting in the UK, why do some (many?)bushcrafters wear camouflage clothing and carry so much army surplus stuff? There is a great number of posts where people discuss various armies camouflage material, patterns etc. Many people seem to go for ex-army bergens, bashers, tarps, etc. I can understand that, for example, if you like a rucksack with lots of pockets you might go for an ALICE pack or similar – but some bushcrafters seem to be decked out from head to toe in ex-military clothing and the bulk of their gear is ex-military too. Whilst I can appreciate the practicalities of military equipment, is it the best/most appropriate choice for a civilian out for a trip in the woods in the UK?
Let me tell this story by way of another example. I used to be a member of a target shooting club (in the UK). During the time of the war in Yugoslavia, we used to get shooters arriving at the range fully decked out in camouflage, army boots, bandana etc. They looked just like the Serb Militia that was featuring on the TV news every night at that time. It got to the point that other members of the club expressed concerns. The club ended up banning all military-style clothing from the range.
My reason for telling this story is to set the scene for Question No.2: Does the wearing of military-style clothing and carrying ex-army equipment influence how the non-bushcrafting public (including land-owners) perceive bushcrafters? Is it a positive or negative influence? In the example above, the reaction was negative. Perhaps you have a positive example?
Maybe this is a controversial subject so let me say once again, I am not trying to offend anyone or say that anything someone else is doing is wrong. It’s a genuine question and I’d be very interested in opinions.
BTW if this had been discussed elsewhere on the forum, I’ve searched but not found it. Sorry for the long post.

Last edited:

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
That's a good question mike.I think most bushcrafters buy and wear ex mil clothing is because of the price and quality of the items ! But then again there might be other equally valid reasons for doing so !
Be prepared for a deluge of answers ! lol.

cheers Andrew.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I seem to recall that this has been discussed before :)
My thoughts:
Pro Army surplus - cheap and hardwearing as well as generally well suited to Bushcraft needs in general design. Many ex-forces bushcrafters have an affection for kit that they have had long association with.
Con surplus - tends to be comparatively heavy (an issue for some)

Pro Cammo - the most available army surplus is generally in various patterns of cammo and is therefor amongst the cheapest. Aids concealment if stalking or wildlife watching. Reduces visible signature if you want to fade into the woods.
Con Cammo - overdoing the cammo thing you can look a bit of a "Wannabe" or Walt of some manner. Some sensitive souls may associate this with paramilitary/terrorist leanings.

Personally I like some of the designs of military kit - 1960s SAS smocks are the basis of some of my favourite jackets, Austrian combat trousers are superb VFM (if you can still get them!), Dutch blankets are the basis for many great Field Jackets - but I shy away from military cammo and most civvi cammos as I do not like the look and as my Bushy kit is also my everyday kit I prefer plain colours. Surplus kit in plain greens and browns suits my personal look (nearly all my clothing is in earth tones!) and old canvas and leather gear is often beautiful as well as practical ... my preferred gear is in natural materials, furs etc.
I do have some cammo kit, I have a fair bit of plain coloured surplus kit and nearly all my footwear is military style/issue.
I hope no one thinks I am some Rambo clone and even if they do, then that is their weirdness not mine!
Today (it would seem) you cannot go legitimately and appropriately kitted out to go wildlife spotting/ airgun hunting or set for some hedge trimming (with a bill hook or machete/axe combos) without some Daily Wail reader mistaking you for a terrorist/mad axeman/knife wielding loony, set to lower their house value.
Me - I don' read the Daily Wail - if folk want to go up the woods dress in full cammo and just get on with some nice relaxing bushcraft ... let them.
Not my choice of kit but then some folk think I am strange due to my aversion to Sporks, titanium, bright colours and Mobile Phones in the woods!

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
In answer to the first question Ex military stuff is good quality, cheap and it lasts. For example you can easily get everything to get you going for around the £100 mark, as per Paul Kirtleys blog post.

http://frontierbushcraft.com/2012/07/06/bushcraft-on-a-budget-kit/

In answer to your second question. I personally have never met anyone wearing camo coming across as a wannabe Rambo. In your scenario it was the people that were the problem not the clothing. If Landowners have a negative view of Bushcrafters it's not because of the clothing it's the small element that ruin it for the majority because they claim to be "Bushcrafters" but behave like hooligans. Now if I saw someone decked out in BG stuff with all the accessories I'd be worried.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Its cheap, does the job and lasts plus I don't care what the public think I am up to, not too many terrorists around here

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Thing you'll find here is that to many bushcrafting is as much a play acting and recreation thing as it is a camping this.

Many here like to be outdoors and will chose whatever kit meets theirs needs and finances, sometimes that might mean army surplus stuff.

You also have the folks that like to play dress up, be that older type kit like wool, sheepskin etc or army kit.

For me personally i find the army kit extremely heavy and uncomfortable, to the point where even when i had to wear it i tended to go for after market alternatives.
In my experience of meeting folks that chose army type kit because they like it rather than for it's value, have not served, so it must be like play acting a fantasy that was never fulfilled.

I've of the opinion that it's a each to their own thing, as long as folks are being responsible who cares what motivates them or what they wear.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
When I started out, I would carry a full set of PLCE webbing, and a Berghaus vulcan on my back. I stayed away from the camo clothing as I didn't want to look like I had fallen out of a military academy. But I would go for the OG of black combat trousers. My summer jacket of choice is a German army shirt. But these days I have shied away from this. A few years back on my way to Lithuania, I was changing trains in Berlin and a guy stopped in front of me and saluted, before walking off. Wasn't quite the reaction I wanted. Since then, I've been moving away from the military gear, this has also had the effect of dramatically lightening my load. There are a few items that come from the military back ground. I still use a camouflage basha, and a camo bivvi bag. This is primarily because I am wild camping in parts of the world where you're strictly speaking not allowed to. But limiting my visual signature, I draw less attention to my camp.

Even tho I am moving away from military equipment. I still try to keep the visual pollution down, limiting myself to an earthy pallet of greens, blacks and browns.

Oh, and if you want an indication of how the weight savings can be, I went from the crusader system, of some 350g, to a brew kit that weighs in at 63g.

That's just my view on it.

Julia

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
I have a lot of surplus stuff from previous service with the Marines and now the Rilfes (Army Reserve (TA ;) ))
I've bought a few other surplus bits on ebay.
I like using some of it because it's cheap (or free :D ) and it's really tough.
I'd like to blend in with the woods to get closer to deer etc. But more importantly I like to blend in with other people out there so no-one raises an eyebrow.
(I know it shouldn't be like this, but I'm normally out practicing some skill like fire lighting, and I'd just as soon not raise any suspicions.)
I've dyed a lot of my kit black or grey to help blend in with the sheeple as I saw someone put it on here :D

CallsignSam

Nomad
Jun 13, 2013
Kent
As other people have said, it's cheap, available and proven to be tough. Plus most people probably have a relatively local army surplus shop, but are less likely to have a 'bushcraft' shop.
As long as the people wearing camouflage gear are responsible then irony see why it should bring a bad representation to bushcrafters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
<snip> why do you care what other people wear/think?

My thoughts exactly. I'm sure we all have our personal opinions on clothing that we find looks pretentious or silly. The piece of clothing I find absurd is the baseball cap (unless you are playing baseball). However if others choose to wear it, thats their call. I know others find my flat caps some sort of 1930s throwback. Wear what you like and extend others the same courtesy.

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
As someone who likes the outdoors and uses some bushcraft skills I tend to wear civilian clothing, I think it is lighter, more comfortable, quicker drying and better suited for me. As it happens quite a lot is BG branded, but then it is heavily reduced in the sales/factory shops &#128521;.
I still have a pair of my old combat boots that live in the car during winter and I still prefer my army socks. The only other kit I routinely wear are Norgie jumper on survival camp, shirts it is cold otherwise fleeces and normal t-shirts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Its cheap, does the job and lasts plus I don't care what the public think I am up to, not too many terrorists around here

Yep, sums it up for me too. I'm happy with my self image soI don't give a tuppny toss what Joe Public thinks. I use things like army lightweight trousers, M65 trousers, Bergen pack (when I was still hiking), army arctic sleeping bag, wooly pully et al but I also use things like £300 Berghaus jackets and trousers and Rab down jackets.

Use what you like.

rg598

Native
I spent the first ten years of going into the woods once I got to the US in army surplus gear. The reason was that I was a high school/college student and had no money. Surplus gear is cheap, and while not the best, it does work.

That being said, I know there are some guys who just love looking like special ops soldiers. On the other hand, there are guys who like looking like 18th century mountain men, so to each his own.

I do think it is important how a particular activity is perceived by the general public, especially if you want to have the activity continue to grow. I suppose surplus gear does not create for the most inviting image.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
It depends on your location really, where I live and play no one would bat an eye unless you were in a mankini, in towns and cities I would imagine that would be the other way around and it can depend on who is wearing the surplus gear too.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....That being said, I know there are some guys who just love looking like special ops soldiers. On the other hand, there are guys who like looking like 18th century mountain men, so to each his own......

Ironic isn't it? As Special Forces usually dress as the indigenous peoples were they're serving.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Why do I use military gear? As others have said, it's relatively cheap and it's nearly bombproof.

Why camo? Well, that depends. The backpacke are camo just because that's what they come as. As for the clothing, I'm a hunter; and to be perfectly honest, camo doesn't raise any eyebrows here. Military or civilian camo. It's more likely to brand you as a local than anything.

malcolmc

Forager
Jun 10, 2006
Wiltshire
www.webwessex.co.uk
I’m hoping to trek in Africa one day; the advice I’ve been given is camo gear is not a good choice there so I’ve been avoiding it since. Not keen on having 2 sets of kit.

I have a young work colleague who often wears camo patterned gear in the office, it all seems to be in bright primary colours though. What it is to be young. :rolleyes:

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
Strongly anti-camo for myself. It's rare that I need to blend in that thoroughly and it gives very much the wrong impression in some quarters. I was chatting with a local farmer here recently and he was - rightly or wrongly - strongly antagonistic to what he described as "Mock soldiers who wear camo and think they look tough."

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE