Uncle Rays New Signature Axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
But when someone outside of the UK (who at the same time happens to live in the Sth Hemisphere) dares to ask genuine questions to determine the usefullness of the woodlore outside of the UK, they are set upon: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65188&page=1 (in this instance, you can consider my use of both underlinning & Italics as an attempt to add different degrees of emphasis) :D

That was not your original question. That was how you eventually narrowed your agenda. You are not fooling anyone but yourself. Also, that thread was locked and right now you are trolling. Continue on this line and you will you will be banned.

Grow up people. It's just an axe. Evidently to some people--like the woodlore--it's the ideal tool to bash Ray Mears. How about we keep the topic on the axe?

Martyn, large axes are commonly carried on horse, 4-wheel, snowmobile, canoe and snowshoe/sled trips in this country.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I reckon Ray is on here keeping this thread going to ensure that as many people as possible hear about this axe,good advertising.(tongue firmly in cheek)

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
out of curiosity why do people have such a dislike of carrying a heavier axe?

at the end of the day this is a new axe, RM is in business and like any good business he has seen a gap in the market and filled it. Any one of you, would have done so if you had the chance - indeed I regret not giving it a go myself. - I'd have made a killing.

Andy

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
....at the end of the day this is a new axe, RM is in business and like any good business he has seen a gap in the market and filled it. Any one of you, would have done so if you had the chance - indeed I regret not giving it a go myself. - I'd have made a killing.

Andy

Quite right. And on that note, I wish he'd release a parang. I really like his and I can't get a similar one anywhere. C'mon Ray.. fill that gap!!!

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I reckon Ray is on here keeping this thread going to ensure that as many people as possible hear about this axe,good advertising.(tongue firmly in cheek)

Why stuff your tongue into your cheek? Like him or loathe his prices, he is monitored by a good number here and so remains at the forefront of the bushcraft community in the U.K.. I think that the axe looks like a good 'un and I might - stress: might - toy with getting one. My usual 'user' is a Swedish Carving Axe which, although an absolutely stunning tool, does come up a little short on some more usual bushcrafty tasks. Maybe this new one the 'Small Forest Axe Plus' will fill the gap.

In the meantime, we will shuffle away, cursing or praising Ray for having come up with another temptation just in time for Christmas. His timing on this is impeccable!

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Martyn, large axes are commonly carried on horse, 4-wheel, snowmobile, canoe and snowshoe/sled trips in this country.

I can see the benefit of a large axe if you are carrying it on some kind of transportation, but I'm struggling with the benefit if you are backpacking. The only benefits of a large axe is that they cross-cut better and split better. But the Gransfors axes (with the exception of the Large Splitting Axe & maul) are poor log splitters in any shape or size because of the very thin bit. That means people must want these big axes for cross-cutting logs and that's what I dont get. A saw, will cut a log in half in a fraction of the time and with a fraction of the effort and at a fraction of the weight. Sure, if you are in a four wheel drive then why not? But if you are backpacking, then you have to consider every ounce and will carrying that ounce pay dividends? I just dont see how backpacking with a large axe pays off better than a light folding saw and a small splitting hatchet?

out of curiosity why do people have such a dislike of carrying a heavier axe?
Because they are heavy to carry!

I've nothing against bigger axes, or axes in general - I love em in fact.

Of these though....

axes01.jpg

By far the most useful (to me anyway) are the large splitting axe and the tomahawk. I would never backpack with the splitting axe, it's far too heavy. Of the other 3, the tomahawk is the lightest and by far the most versatile. Ther narrow bit means it penetrates wood well, which although it's as thin as a GB, means it splits better. Because it is a hawk and the head pops off with a tap of the shaft (like a pick-axe), then the head can be used like a splitting wedge, or a chisel, or a hand axe. The hardened hammer poll means it can be used to smash stuff, nuts, sticks and wotnot, used to pound on when driving into a log, used like a mini anvil and obviously, used like a hammer. Because it breaks down, it can also be carried easier, with the heavy head going inside your pack, centrally and high. Replacement handles are cheap, easy to swap out and come up to 30" long which means you just cut it to your preferred length. It's a great tool and best of all, it only cost £30 quid! How good/bad they are at cross-cutting is irrelevant to me as any cross-cutting is done with a saw.

Would I rather have a bigger axe? Yes (the large splitting axe is awesome and nothing is going to beat a husky and a 5lb maul). Does the benefit of having a bigger axe make it worthwhile carrying it? Not to me it doesnt!

Last edited:

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I can see the benefit of a large axe if you are carrying it on some kind of transportation, but I'm struggling with the benefit if you are backpacking.

Excellent summing up which I would agree with. I personally would backpack with a very small axe only if I thought I would be somewhere that I could use it, somewhere I was allowed to cut trees and make fire. My choice for backpacking would be the wildlife hatchet though the hawk looks interesting and I would enjoy trying it out. The idea of backpacking with something heavier than a SFA does not sound like my kind of entertainment but then I have heard of folk walking around the hills with backpacks full of brick "as training" each to their own.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE