Unanswerable questions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
ive been thinking (dangerous I know)
was watching the bush tucker man last night and the aboriginal gent was demonstrating the pounding of a bark to make a toxin to catch fish.
another bit showed them drying then soaking for three days in flowing water then baking etc a plant to make it edible.
How the heck did they work this out in the first place?
another one who first thought if I put this pointed but not sharp piece of wood into a hole in this wood and rub like hell it'll make a little burny thing that I can out into a birds nest blow and it'll make fire?

I know we can never find out this info but I would love to know the answer

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
i often wonder when sitting around a campfire this thing here.

How the heck did it take humanity so long to develop the steam engine, when the very first caveman who threw wet wood on a fire must have watched steam choo chooing out of the ends as i have many times, how many millenia did we cling to it being wood spirits escaping into the fire etc, some might say we think too much for our remaining brain cells

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
My first thought is that the friction fire thing perhaps came as a by-product of some kind of grinding or drilling process? I'm as baffled as you by these things sometimes; I call them "headshakers" :)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Who was the first person to point at a cow and say, "I bet if we squeeze those dangly things, something good to drink will come out"?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That made me think of the old question poser:-

Son: "Dad I don't understand women?"
Dad: "Son, do you understand how your computer game really works?"
Son: "No Dad!"
Dad: " See son, some things you just have to relax about and enjoy them!"

Yeah the process of preparing certain types of yams in the outback does seem very hard to have ascertained how they came up with it. Maybe they practiced on the unpopular folk in the tribe? The friction fire thing I can almost imagine that someone was either trying to bore a hole or saw through a piece of wood and it was a happy accidental discovery but the yams does still make my brain ache. I know the process your supposed to go through to try out unfamiliar foods but there's a lot of steps in yam prep, there must've been a lot of sore tummies and dead folk along the way.:eek:

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
There is a modern version of that in regards to artificial vanilla flavourings that come from the beaver anal scent glands, who the hell was first to scoff a beaver anus and decide yes that is what i want my ice cream to taste like? How is that cheaper than real vanilla? Is someone out there farming beavers for their anusi?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
There is a modern version of that in regards to artificial vanilla flavourings that come from the beaver anal scent glands, who the hell was first to scoff a beaver anus and decide yes that is what i want my ice cream to taste like? How is that cheaper than real vanilla? Is someone out there farming beavers for their anusi?

:lmao:That's a bit "Life Of Brian" that,

"...Otters noses, sparrows spleens, beavers bum hole, get 'em while they're hot!..."

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Wolfs nipples, anyone, anyone? Are you the peoples front of Judea?

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
We would be Monty fiends wouldn't we? :lmao:I feel like watching it now just through the reminder

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
We would be Monty fiends wouldn't we? :lmao:I feel like watching it now just through the reminder

Picked up a copy of And Now For Something Completely Different the other week in the charity shop. Made me chuckle.

Sorry for derailing the thread Mr Tanith - will behave now. Honest.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
How the heck did it take humanity so long to develop the steam engine, when the very first caveman who threw wet wood on a fire must have watched steam choo chooing out of the ends

Carl Sagan reckoned we would have landed on the moon a thousand years ago, and would be travelling to the stars by now, if the destruction of the library of Alexandria had not occured.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
The Greeks had a steam turbine 2000 years ago, but had no need it.

AEOLIPILE.

An aeolipile (or aeolipyle, or eolipile), also known as a Hero engine, is a rocket style jet engine which spins when heated. In the 1st century AD, Hero of Alexandria described the device, and many sources give him the credit for its invention.

The aeolipile Hero described is considered to be the first recorded steam engine or reaction steam turbine. The name – derived from the Greek word "Αἴολος" and Latin word "pila" – translates to "the ball of Aeolus"; Aeolus being the Greek god of the air and wind.

Pre-dating Hero's writings, a device called an aeolipile was described in the 1st century BC by Vitruvius in his treatise De architectura; however, it is unclear whether it is the same device or a predecessor, as there is no mention of any rotating parts.

Aeolipile_illustration.jpg

[video=youtube;9K_r8BUXoMw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K_r8BUXoMw[/video]

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If mankind had shaken hands and sat down for meal together instead of shaking spears and demanding the others folks food, would we have been out among the stars by now ?
On the other hand, they say that war drives invention..... :dunno:

Your downstairs loo.....does it have a light that shines into the garden or does it have the loovent thing that triggers when you pull the lightswitch ?

I reckon that it was working on something or other....smoothing a shaft, or boring a hole, that led to the fibrous dust going on fire.

Humanity has an astonishing ability to make gadgets, to footer around with stuff, to create things from raw resources.

Beaver's scent glands were widely used in antiquity (think modern Chinese medicine with animal parts, etc.,) and it was noted that the inclusion in a scented mix made that scent 'fix'. Not a big step from that to somebody trying to eat it, I suppose :dunno: I'll just buy vanilla pods, thank you :)

Cows lie down and if their udders are full then some leaches out....it happens to women too. It's milk, it's obviously milk, milk's good food....

If you gather yams and the like and try eating them raw...not good. If you boil them up or bake them, it's a 'little' better. If you leave that aside to dry and then try again a few days later 'cos you've put all that effort into them, and they're too dry so you put them into water to soften up again, and you're still not quite hungry enough to eat them, then a few days later decide, ach, give it a go.... and ehm, well, it's not that bad.....

Wolf nipples, sparrow spleens....:rolleyes: it's said (though Suetonius, a vicious wee gossip :) who wrote of the emperor Vitellius just commented on the amazing range of stuff and his gluttony) the Romans ate the most shocking things sometimes in their hedonism :( nightingale or larks tongues...as a dish at a posh meal. How many nightingales or larks needed to be killed to make a dish of their tongues ?

Anyway, for your erudition :D

Monty Python - The Crunchy Frog Sketch
[text of sketch thanks to MontyPythonPages]

Inspector Praline: Mr Milton? You are sole proprietor and owner of the Whizzo Chocolate Company?

Milton: I am.

Praline: Superintendent Parrot and I are from the hygiene squad. We want to have a word with you about your box of chocolates entified The Whizzo Quality Assortment.

Milton: Ah, yes.

Praline: (producing box of chocolates) If I may begin at the beginning. First there is the cherry fondue. This is extremely nasty, but we can't prosecute you for that.

Milton: Agreed.

Praline: Next we have number four, 'crunchy frog'.

Milton: Ah, yes.

Praline: Am I right in thinking there's a real frog in here?

Milton: Yes. A little one.

Praline: What sort of frog?

Milton: A dead frog.

Praline: Is it cooked?

Milton: No.

Praline: What, a raw frog?

(Superintendent Parrot looks increasingly queasy.)

Milton: We use only the finest baby frogs, dew picked and flown from Iraq, cleansed in finest quality spring water, lightly killed, and then sealed in a succulent Swiss quintuple smooth treble cream milk chocolate envelope and lovingly frosted with glucose.

Praline: That's as maybe, it's still a frog.

Milton: What else?

Praline: Well don't you even take the bones out?

Milton: If we took the bones out it wouldn't be crunchy would it?

Praline: Superintendent Parrot ate one of those.

Parrot: Excuse me a moment. (exits hurriedly)

Milton: It says 'crunchy frog' quite clearly.

Praline: Well, the superintendent thought it was an almond whirl. People won't expect there to be a frog in there. They're bound to think it's some form of mock frog.

Milton: (insulted) Mock frog? We use no artificial preservatives or additives of any kind!

Praline: Nevertheless, I must warn you that in future you should delete the words 'crunchy frog', and replace them with the legend 'crunchy raw unboned real dead frog', if you want to avoid prosecution.

Milton: What about our sales?

Praline: I'm not interested in your sales, I have to protect the general public. Now how about this one. (superintendent enters) It was number five, wasn't it? (superintendent nods) Number five, ram's bladder cup. (exit superintendent) What kind of confection is this?

Milton: We use choicest juicy chunks of fresh Cornish ram's bladder, emptied, steamed, flavoured with sesame seeds whipped into a fondue and garnished with lark's vomit.

Praline: Lark's vomit?

Milton: Correct.

Praline: Well it don't say nothing about that here.

Milton: Oh yes it does, on the bottom of the box, after monosodium glutamate.

Praline: (looking) Well I hardly think this is good enough. I think it would be more appropriate if the box bore a large red label warning lark's vomit.

Milton: Our sales would plummet.

Praline: Well why don't you move into more conventional areas of confectionery, like praline or lime cream; a very popular flavour I'm led to understand. (superintendent enters) I mean look at this one, 'cockroach cluster', (superintendent exits) 'anthrax ripple'. What's this one, 'spring surprise'?

Milton: Ah - now, that's our speciality - covered with darkest creamy chocolate. When you pop it in your mouth steel bolts spring out and plunge straight through-both cheeks.

Praline: Well where's the pleasure in that? If people place a nice chocky in their mouth, they don't want their cheeks pierced. In any case this is an inadequate description of the sweetmeat. I shall have to ask you to accompany me to the station.

Milton: (getting up from desk and being led away) It's a fair cop.

Praline: Stop talking to the camera.

Milton: I'm sorry.

(Superintendent Parrot enters the room as Inspector Praline and Milton leave, and addresses the camera.)

Parrot: If only the general public would take more care when buying its sweeties, it would reduce the number of man-hours lost to the nation and they would spend less time having their stomachs pumped and sitting around in public lavatories.

M

Last edited:

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Why is it, if you ask someone to smell your finger they look repulsed but if you ask them to smell your wrist and they jump at it?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE