Unanswerable questions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I was just wondering about archeologists in the future going through our landfill sites and going ***. I say this because I was just about to throw a rubber chicken in the bin. Imagine yourself in their place. What would be your pet theory of the uses of this?

I have often wondered about this. What will be left behind us for the archaeologists. We have churches that have stood for 1000 years. Pyramids that have stood for Millennia. Will our little 2 up 2 down terraces still stand in 50 years? 100? What about the millennium dome? Will that be standing when we welcome the year 2100?

I often wonder if I should put in my will to be buried in chain maille armour... my victorian era corset... and a pair of nike trainers... If you can't play with archaeologists in your death, then the world really has become too boring...

Imagine a body in the bog style scenario in 5000+ years and the body with loads of plastic surgery modifications, were they tribal? Signs of nobility? Lunatics? ;)

Oh the fun and games when people find some items in the archaeological record. Imagine an iphone that's been in the ground for a few centuries... or a camera... most items of modern ladies clothing... credit cards... clothes hangers...

If you didn't have any preconception of these items, they would baffle the mind. "We've found thousands upon thousands of these small plastic rectangles. Each inscribed with different names and numbers..."

Ritual Significance

(Its how they explain everything they haven't got a Scooby about)

Oh how infuriating that so often is.

Julia

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
@ Julia; Pretty optimistic to think that many here will welcome the year 2100, eh? I can only hope your optimism will be justified :)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I like it, its a good cop out.

Im going to be buried in silk, as it will show everyone Im wealthy enough to have clothes from China.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Same could be said about anyone buried in clothes from Primark

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
@ Julia; Pretty optimistic to think that many here will welcome the year 2100, eh? I can only hope your optimism will be justified :)

I'll be 117 on 01/01/2100. Which the way average ages are going up, is not infeasible. Tho I admit it's more than likely to be to the right of the bell curve.

But the question was more about if the millennium dome will be standing, rather than us lot...

I like it, its a good cop out.

Im going to be buried in silk, as it will show everyone Im wealthy enough to have clothes from China.

Interesting take... How will that last in the ground?

Julia

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
<Thinks> I guess the best way would be very dry conditions...like in the Taka malan.

yes, I could become a Tokarian...they were celts, werent they? See, there is even room for me in China.

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
Ritual Significance

(Its how they explain everything they haven't got a Scooby about)

Exactly, and that can be applied to a lot of what is referred to as 'legends' and 'scripture'. Look at how much fiction for pure entertainment purposes that is produced nowadays. That capacity also resided in the ancients. They were the same humans were are.

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
If I recall, Mr. Hancock has stated his conclusion that the Sphinx is pre-Egyptian and it predates by quite a bit what we now consider to be the Egyptian civilization. Graham Hancock is a very interesting person to listen to and to read his writings.

Last edited:

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
A brilliant and thought provoking read, you are right on his final conclusions, i posted the question and pdf freeware link as many still believe the Pharaohs built the sphinx

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Watermark my backside. It is a fault in the rock/stone the object is made from. Not every rock is made from a perfect production line. What it looks like and what it is are 2 very different things. (and yes I have seen it up close for real)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE