UK waterbottles, the real thing, or fake?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bert

Forager
Mar 24, 2016
middle of france
Hello, is anyone here able to Identify my new UK waterbottle as a genuine UK Army one, or a fake?

Asking this, because I don't know the UK ones, but I do know that lately many a fake is sold as original one, and these are so much less quality, leaking/denting their sides etc.
Please have a look at the images, Thanks
IMG-8090.jpg
IMG-8089.jpg
IMG-8090.jpg

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Genuine.
It's an Osprey and it has the arrow thing (just above the stock number).

Best way is to measure the contents.
The copies tend to be 1L capacity.
But the actual bottles are 2 pint capacity, which is just that bit more (about 1.1L).
But it looks like the genuine thing to me.

Reactions: swyn and nigelp

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
Crows foot is the arrow. Looks real to me. I have my original one from 1982 and a more modern 2001 which is slightly smaller as the cup fits top or bottom. As said should take two pints.

Bert

Forager
Mar 24, 2016
middle of france
Well, that I'm gonna find out when I find a measure cup.
This one being new, has a clear smell to it, which I interpret as "Chinese"??? (Thinking that originals have hardly any smell to them?)

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
It defenetly holds more than 1 liter!

that is a bonus i guess

as you mentioned earlier about the smell

i am wondering if adding a heaped teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda to some fresh water and let it sit for a couple of hours or overnight will help remove the smell

billycoen

Settler
Jan 26, 2021
north wales
I would say it's proper..i have an Osprey and a cheapo copy,not fussed which one i use,the original did smell a bit funky,but a bit of Milton sorted it.

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
Good Idea,
I have washed it already with cleaning white vinager, but it didn't dissapear yet.
i have no idea if it will work first time or maybe a few times if at all as i can not smell it myself

other things possibly to try

sterident tablet and let soak
or milton as @billycoen suggests as i started typing this

either way i think you will get rid of the smell

Reactions: Bert

Bert

Forager
Mar 24, 2016
middle of france
In the day when I was drafted for service, I was issued a plastic water bottle like this, (non UK) though it hadn't this sent to it like this one, not so long ago I have bought a Scepter water jerry can, same plastic, no sent either, hence when I bought this one, with it's sent that makes me think of one of these little chinese shops where they sold the red lacquered bamboo products and so, I thought this bottle was a fake.
anyway, I'm gonna try to get rid of this sent, and then see how good/long it will serve.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
My genuine ones always had a smell to them. Copious washing, sterilisation and powdered orange drink helped but the smell remained.
Anything from the stores had a certain odour to it, to the point that the smell takes me back instantly

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE