UK Laws and traditional knives?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I know that the little knife my friend is using was his fathers.....forty years ago, and it gets a lot of use and is still good. He sharpens it, carefully :)

Leuku ? depends where and when, tbh. Don't carry it 'public', don't wear it out of context, and it's fine. Do have a good reason to carry.

The little spyderco's and the san ren mu's that my family has have been excellent, get a lot of use and show no signs of failing.

cheers,
M

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I know that the little knife my friend is using was his fathers.....forty years ago, and it gets a lot of use and is still good. He sharpens it, carefully :).....

.....The little spyderco's and the san ren mu's that my family has have been excellent, get a lot of use and show no signs of failing.

cheers,
M

What kind of use? Do you pick horses hooves with it? Castrate farm animals? Pry a nail out?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
But surely using a rifle to prise an alligator's jaws off your leg would risk irreparable damage to the barrel? You need a big hunting knife for that sort of thing - like Crocodile Dundee!

Well maybe. I guess I need to invest in a bayonet for the rifle.

Sparrowhawk

Sep 8, 2010
Huddersfield
From my admittedly limited reading on the subject, the 'traditional' large Bowie type knives, that proliferated the American frontier after the civil war, were designed as an all-round tool/weapon. They had enough weight in the blade to be used to chop and slash, but were light enough and short enough for finer work too.
One can see how a tool of that nature would be very useful to long distance wilderness travelers, many of whom made up the westward migration to colonise the rest of the continent. My point being that America's traditional large knives are a product of necessity at a time and in a place that warranted it.
For us, our traditional tools are more linked to farming, forestry and arboriculture, as wilderness travel and camping is a relatively new idea over here, and is more linked to recreation than necessity.

Last edited:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
If I understand knife laws in the UK, then "large knives" are either of illegal to carry for bushcraft purposes??

No, but a sword would be, and anything designed especially as a weapon, such as a dagger - even a small one.

That being said, are traditional large knives frowned upon as well?

There are specific exceptions for re-enactors and that kind of thing, think halberds for example. My wife has a two-handed billhook thingy which might raise a few eyebrows but in truth it would make a poor weapon.

I do like a "long knife" though, as it is spot on for butchering the large game that I do so love to hunt with my self made medieval crossbow. [...]

In the UK it's illegal to hunt with a crossbow (or any bow), but you can carry one down the high street and they can't touch you for it. In theory.

Toddy said:
The little spyderco's and the san ren mu's that my family has have been excellent, get a lot of use and show no signs of failing.

You mean the Ladybug Mary? My wife has two of those. Only a two inch blade, but they do lock.

yebbut santa is from Florida; he probably breaks them prising alligator jaws off his leg or something.

:rofl:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE