Uhtred is coming!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The BBC are filming the first of Bernard Cornwells Saxon books (The Last Kingdom).

In eight one hour episodes, I hope it is as good as the books.

Screens in October.

[video=youtube;LVC0HBlLMF8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVC0HBlLMF8[/video]

They are also remaking Swallows and Amazons :)

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
please please please don't be another 'vikings'...

I hope Mr Cornwell has had plenty of involvement to point it in the right direction. I've seen a picture of one of the main stars, looks like the typical clean prettyboy which was a bit disappointing. Hoping for something bit nitty gritty here, fingers crossed ;)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
It won't be "right", they never are, but hopefully it'll be entertaining.

Looking at the preview it's the age old problem. Costume departments are full of frustrated costume designers who don't want to copy stuff, they want to design stuff.

The Properties departments are some times a little better but sadly, not always.

Although the authenticity of Vikings suffers the usual problems, I liked the first two seasons more than I expected to.

I'm not impatient but I probably will buy season three. I'm a bit of a mythology geek and I enjoy picking up all the cross references.

As for this new series, I'll have to watch it because a lot of my customers will probably see it and I need to be able to respond to the inevitable questions it will raise.

Such as, "Did they really have square shields?"

Short answer "No."

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've enjoyed Bernard Cornwells work over the years, if this show is half as good as Vikings then we have some good entertainment to look forward too.

Dreadhead

Saw over on facebook somebody posting up photos from a preview over in the states. Gutted to be honest, the costumes are a mash between Game of Thrones and the Vikings, again lacking a single authentic piece, as well as a pretty boy for main character. I know it is a different medium and demographic, but these costume departments drive me mad as it really detracts from the story when they are all running around in drab leather and fur.

doesn't mean I won't watch every episode mind you, spitting curses at the screen aside ;)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Its just entertainment, chaps like Hamish and Wayland may notice wrong props but 99.99% of Joe Public won't, to us it looks great, roll on October 10th :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Saw over on facebook somebody posting up photos from a preview over in the states. Gutted to be honest, the costumes are a mash between Game of Thrones and the Vikings, again lacking a single authentic piece, as well as a pretty boy for main character. I know it is a different medium and demographic, but these costume departments drive me mad as it really detracts from the story when they are all running around in drab leather and fur.

doesn't mean I won't watch every episode mind you, spitting curses at the screen aside ;)

Hamish you should look up Lindybeige on YouTube sometime. :D He's an archaeologist who's also had some experience in re-enactment and movie making.
He does some funny and scathing videos of moves, props and costumes. Entertaining chap, reminds me of the late Graham Chapman of Monty Python fame. I know you hate the Vikings series but like me I try not to to get too upset watching stuff. SWMBO used to get annoyed with me watching stuff and starting sentences with "But they didn't have those in..." :rolleyes: I try to just enjoy the ride a bit more these days.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Dreadhead

haha nice I'll look it up Colin :)

I wouldn't have a problem if it was called 'The fantasy show' then it would be awesome. I love game of thrones, the costumes are just braw. My problem is when it's called vikings, it should be bloomin viking! rant aside, they are all good entertaining tv shows nonetheless.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
The books are indeed great reads. Why couldn't they rope in Vladimir Kulich? At least to play Uhtred in his later years, Kulich is getting on a bit. He would have had a suitable ascent too. I'll watch the show, but I'm expecting another Vikings, as some have already said.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE