UCO candle lanterns in tents

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I've just recently got hold of a uco candle lantern in a trade.

Now I've always improvised in the past with a long life candle in an old can but got the UCO after reading on here that someone used their's in a tent and observed that they had less condensation with one presumable because of he heat rather than the ventilation you need when using one in tent. Now the thing is, I tried it out tonight and the heat coming off the top was unbelievable:):) and I was really surprised. When I studied social anthropology and read and watched the innuit with their oil lamps keeping the temp up a bit in their shelters, I'm assuming the same works with the uco. In bothies I've lit 10 or so tea lights and it's kept a room well above freezing in the winter.

Does anyone have any experience of using them in their tent and does it really make a big difference in temp and or reduce condensation on your flysheet?

WS

Last edited:

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I quite often use on in the tent. Make sure you leave it in the porch, don't bring it into the inner so the carbon monoxide can escape (small amount0. In winter it makes a difference but only a few degrees. I think it's more psychological, makes your tent "cozy". 1 make sure it's in a safe place 2. extinguish before sleeping

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I quite often use on in the tent. Make sure you leave it in the porch, don't bring it into the inner so the carbon monoxide can escape (small amount0. In winter it makes a difference but only a few degrees. I think it's more psychological, makes your tent "cozy". 1 make sure it's in a safe place 2. extinguish before sleeping

I am not aware that candles present a serious carbon monoxide problem unless you are in a totally sealed environment, and even then it would have to be a small one. The biggest danger from candles historically has been fire, if it had been CO I can think of more than a few Churches where the congregation ought to have fallen victim.

I expect now that the chemists will follow this up. However to answer the original question, I do find that they give off a useful amount of heat in terms of creating useful convection currents which would aid in the banishment of condensation.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Just use mine for discos:lmao::lmao:

mylavvusetup008.jpg

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I've got a copy of an UCO holder and I've used it in my Wildcountry Quasar..

Yep it does chuck out a bit of heat and make the tent warmer... I've not noticed any differences with condensation etc..

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
I've used the mini and standard Uco lanterns in my tents for years. I've never tested with a thermometer, so I don't know if it really does make a temp difference, but I'm pretty sure it does help banish condensation.

I recall waking up one foggy night with condensation dripping on my face. I lit the lantern and all the condensation was gone about twenty minutes or half an hour later. Now maybe atmospheric conditions just coincidentally changed in that time, but I think the candle was responsible.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Question is of course - Are they any good and worth it for the money? I've ummd and arrd over these for a while now but arent' they a tad expensive for what is basically a candle in a jar?

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
basssssssssssssssssss damit new i should ave gone to lurch dam but when i goggled it they were the first to come up and i just went with it having herd they as in the product were mint secondly a mate got his from there

so touching wood my order should be good

drew

Last edited:

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Question is of course - Are they any good and worth it for the money? I've ummd and arrd over these for a while now but arent' they a tad expensive for what is basically a candle in a jar?

That's correct; a candle in a metal container that collapses on itself to protect the glass tube, not had one break in over a year.

With my clumsiness, I might of gone through a few glass jars by now:)

nolightweight

Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
My UCO Mini has been cracking for me so far in either tarp and bivi or the Polish tent.

Tealights are very cheap and easily sourced.

I've found Lakeland (the kitchen bods, not Lurch) the best but not the cheapest; £2.49 I think for 50. The +/- 4 hr burn time is accurate though. Bright for what they are.

Sainsbury do 100 for £2.99 and the burn time about the same. Not quite as bright though.

Wilko's I can't recall the £ or quantity but short burning.

In the neoprene cocoon you can buy I've dropped in about 8" of bath plug chain to hang it up with if needed and can fit about 7 or 8 candles in there i.e. enough for 3-4 nights.

No connection to anyone etc.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I have one and use it under my tarp as a general light .It's brilliant and virtually unbreakable unless you really try hard.I also use a small gas light for lighting up the campfire area,cheap to buy and run and they give off great heat and light,they don't take up too much room and don't weigh much either.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE