Turning Beach Rubbish into Xmas Trees, 100% recycled

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Earthgirl

Forager
Nov 7, 2012
Wales
Thanks Dreadhead and hiho :)

As Freshwater West faces West it gets a direct flow from the Atlantic and all that is in it depending on the sea state, wind and storm direction.

A lot of what I find I reckon has been stuck in the sand for years and years and was washed out during the winter storms at the start of the year. We lost a good 3-4ft from the dunes easily and most of the sand from the beach at the time.

The fact is plastic just doesn't degrade and can look as good as the day it was made here's my old more or less traceable find to date. A plastic supersoft shampoo sachet with the old 5d in money written on it.

In the UK we decimalised in 1971 so this is at least 43yrs old or more...

IMG_7782_zps685d9ffa.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's incredibly scary; it really is.

Archaeologists already joke about our time being known in the future as the plastic rubbish age.

:sigh:

M

Earthgirl

Forager
Nov 7, 2012
Wales

Archaeologists already joke about our time being known in the future as the plastic rubbish age.

M

Apparently scientists have already named it Toddy as Plastiglomerate rock... I find loads and loads of these heavily disguised as 'pebbles' on the beach...
The only thing that gives them away sometimes is their colour...

IMG_9764_zps2c8e48b1.jpg

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk

M
But to archaeologists it won't be rubbish. It'll be gold

Many years ago:
"Ere! Ulfric! Stop leave bits of old pot everywhere will you ... You're turning the place into a midden. .."

Now:
"Exciting news. We've unearthed several pieces of what appear to be early Saxon Pottery..."

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
:D

Aye, but we're turning the whole world into a midden :sigh:

M
The planet will recover... we won't. The planets heart beats to a rhythm measured in terms of thousands of years. It will shrug us off soon enough and move on.

That's the big issue with modern environmentalism. Too much is made of how much were hurting the planet. In reality were only hurting ourselves. Seldom. Is that mentioned. That's the message that needs to be delivered.

Either way. We'll leave our mark. I hope it's exciting to dig us up and wonder about why we did what we did.

Earthgirl

Forager
Nov 7, 2012
Wales
But to archaeologists it won't be rubbish. It'll be gold

Many years ago:
"Ere! Ulfric! Stop leave bits of old pot everywhere will you ... You're turning the place into a midden. .."

Now:
"Exciting news. We've unearthed several pieces of what appear to be early Saxon Pottery..."

In fifty to a hundred years time I totally agree mountainm :)

Norway recycles plastic by burning it and using it as energy, in fact they now buy other countries waste plastic to burn as it doesn't have enough...

We may well be digging up our own landfill sites for the same purpose at some point but for now the fact is the sea is full of it and it just breaks down into smaller and smaller pieces.

Just today I have been invited to inspect the stomachs of any sea sea birds I might find washed up this winter to see if they contain plastic at all. Gannets now use plastic to furnish their nests every year from the sea as it seems to be more prevalent than seaweed. It feels sometimes like one of those 'rabbit holes' you wish you never poked your nose down because once you've seen what is happening you can't un-see it...

So I just clear and hopefully raise some sort of awareness as to what is happening out there. I'm trying to do more work with schools as I was recently invited to help on a couple of beach cleans with a local junior school. What was most interesting was them asking me if it was ok to put bits of wood, cuttlefish bone, and seaweed stems into the rubbish as they didn't know the good guys from the bad...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There's no doubt that the planet will 'recover', but our ideal is a pristine rubbish free sea, not sea turtles with guts full of plastic bags, or beaches covered in layers of plastic litter, or sea gyres so full of microscopic plastic particles that it's an enormous swirling mass of pollution that is so endemic in the microplankton that it ends up in our food chain.

Scotland now has a 5p tax on every plastic bag, it's a good thing, and it's working. I've never seen so many folks carrying shopping bags since I was at primary school. Folk are aware and that can only be a good thing. Now if we could just get the mass producers to use biodegradable packaging we'd be onto something :D

and we're not supposed to talk politics, but if the rest of the UK can do it, so can England, and not the watered down version that's proposed either.

M

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
There's no doubt that the planet will 'recover', but our ideal is a pristine rubbish free sea, not sea turtles with guts full of plastic bags, or beaches covered in layers of plastic litter, or sea gyres so full of microscopic plastic particles that it's an enormous swirling mass of pollution that is so endemic in the microplankton that it ends up in our food chain.

Scotland now has a 5p tax on every plastic bag, it's a good thing, and it's working. I've never seen so many folks carrying shopping bags since I was at primary school. Folk are aware and that can only be a good thing. Now if we could just get the mass producers to use biodegradable packaging we'd be onto something :D

and we're not supposed to talk politics, but if the rest of the UK can do it, so can England, and not the watered down version that's proposed either.

M
I'm not saying we sit back and do nothing. Just that the message is wrong. "People" are selfish, we need to stop talking about how we're harming the planet and start talking about the impact it will have on ourselves. Maybe then more people will listen.

Earthgirl

Forager
Nov 7, 2012
Wales
Wales have had the carrier bag tax since 2011 and it has made a huge difference to the amount I find washing up, England is not far behind I hope but people are becoming much more aware already :)

We all need to be a little less selfish about 'single' use plastic to make a difference mountainm :)

Awareness seems to be the key here for now anyway :)

Since I started to 'really' look at what is washing up it's made us personally much more aware about what we buy wrapped in plastic and it's blooming hard as the industry thinks we all prefer everything wrapped in the stuff.... baaahhh...

Let me put it this way, it washes out of the sea faster than anyone can clear it, no matter how many beach cleans we have it doesn't take long for it to look the same.

There is the MARPOL law that states that no plastic should be released into the sea, but once shipping is 12miles from land those laws don't apply and unless you can actually prove the plastic came from a specific ship, there is nothing you can do...

It is the same with container spills, there is no law that says you have to report a container spill as it is a matter between you and the insurance company, there is nothing that says they have to release it to the public. Occasionally a container spill is so obvious that they have no choice...

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Loving the re cycling earthgirl, i too live on the coast, i come across lots of stuff, old nets,floats,fish boxes,dolls, rubber ducks, a coconut, lots of single shoes,basically never ceases to amaze me. My friend made a nice book shelf out of drift wood , there are loads of remote beaches just piled up with stuff.

Earthgirl

Forager
Nov 7, 2012
Wales
Loving the re cycling earthgirl, i too live on the coast, i come across lots of stuff, old nets,floats,fish boxes,dolls, rubber ducks, a coconut, lots of single shoes,basically never ceases to amaze me. My friend made a nice book shelf out of drift wood , there are loads of remote beaches just piled up with stuff.

Thanks andybysea :) are the shoes you find 'righties' :) as there is a place in Texel Holland where they find all the lefties :)
Love to see some of your pics of toys and stuff :eek: many a dismembered doll washes up on our shores :)

londonscrub

Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2014
London
I was in pembrokeshire this summer and at freshwater, i was heartbroken by the stuff washed up. Many of the little coves are just swamped in stuff.

If it were possible, I would gladly buy some of your christmas decs, if some of the return went to a suitable volunteer project or conservation group even better.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Technically no. I know you were asked, and didn't volunteer the information or advertise but I need to ask you to take it all to pm, please.

Relevant guidelines are here.....

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45

8 - Advertising:
Guidelines for Commercial companies, Distributors, craftsmen, retailers, schools and website owners:

Advertising is not permitted on the Bushcraft UK forum, outside the makers market and the commercial sales areas (these areas are governed by their own set of rules and guidelines.)

Overtly commercial language pertaining to products in which you have a vested commercial interest is not acceptable.

Members should not post links to their own commercial ventures, websites or forums.
Links to such websites in signatures are permissible (at the discretion of BCUK admin) as long as this is not abused and a clearly visible reciprocal link to Bushcraft UK is placed on the website to which the link points.

We do like to see genuine resources made available to our members, if you are a new company/website or have a new product/service which you think would be of interest to the membership of Bushcraft UK, please contact the administration via info@bushcraftuk.com who will (at there discretion) make an announcement on your behalf.

Moderators will use their judgment as necessary to help the forum run smoothly and to avoid any confusion.

General guidelines for making posts in which you intend to make reference to your own products are as follows:

1. Do not under any circumstances make reference to your own products unless a member has requested information with regards to your product specifically or made a factually incorrect statement about your product or you feel a post must be made in the interests of public safety.

2. Only post your response in the thread in which the query or error/safety issue exists and respond to the query/error/safety issue with a single post.

3. Clearly state that you are a representative of the company at the start of your post

4. Provide only information which is clear, factually correct and serves solely to answer the query or address the error/safety issue

5. Provide the information in an unbiased manner ensuring that you make no statements inferring superiority to any other product

6. Do not under any circumstances make reference to any other manufacturers products or services

7. If you are in any doubt as to the legitimacy of your post, send a copy of the post to an administrator or moderator requesting advice, even if you feel that your post conforms to these guidelines it is generally good practice to inform the admin of your intention to make reference to your products on the forum, in many cases it is more appropriate for the administration to make the statement on your behalf.

Any post which makes reference to your own products or services, which does not conform to the above guidelines will be regarded as an overtly commercial post and will be removed as could membership.

and I'm invoking this bit to leave your post in place :D

"Moderators will use their judgment as necessary to help the forum run smoothly and to avoid confusion"

cheers,
M

Earthgirl

Forager
Nov 7, 2012
Wales
Technically no. I know you were asked, and didn't volunteer the information or advertise but I need to ask you to take it all to pm, please.

Relevant guidelines are here.....

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45

8 - Advertising:
Guidelines for Commercial companies, Distributors, craftsmen, retailers, schools and website owners:

Advertising is not permitted on the Bushcraft UK forum, outside the makers market and the commercial sales areas (these areas are governed by their own set of rules and guidelines.)

Overtly commercial language pertaining to products in which you have a vested commercial interest is not acceptable.

Members should not post links to their own commercial ventures, websites or forums.
Links to such websites in signatures are permissible (at the discretion of BCUK admin) as long as this is not abused and a clearly visible reciprocal link to Bushcraft UK is placed on the website to which the link points.

We do like to see genuine resources made available to our members, if you are a new company/website or have a new product/service which you think would be of interest to the membership of Bushcraft UK, please contact the administration via info@bushcraftuk.com who will (at there discretion) make an announcement on your behalf.

Moderators will use their judgment as necessary to help the forum run smoothly and to avoid any confusion.

General guidelines for making posts in which you intend to make reference to your own products are as follows:

1. Do not under any circumstances make reference to your own products unless a member has requested information with regards to your product specifically or made a factually incorrect statement about your product or you feel a post must be made in the interests of public safety.

2. Only post your response in the thread in which the query or error/safety issue exists and respond to the query/error/safety issue with a single post.

3. Clearly state that you are a representative of the company at the start of your post

4. Provide only information which is clear, factually correct and serves solely to answer the query or address the error/safety issue

5. Provide the information in an unbiased manner ensuring that you make no statements inferring superiority to any other product

6. Do not under any circumstances make reference to any other manufacturers products or services

7. If you are in any doubt as to the legitimacy of your post, send a copy of the post to an administrator or moderator requesting advice, even if you feel that your post conforms to these guidelines it is generally good practice to inform the admin of your intention to make reference to your products on the forum, in many cases it is more appropriate for the administration to make the statement on your behalf.

Any post which makes reference to your own products or services, which does not conform to the above guidelines will be regarded as an overtly commercial post and will be removed as could membership.

and I'm invoking this bit to leave your post in place :D

"Moderators will use their judgment as necessary to help the forum run smoothly and to avoid confusion"

cheers,
M

Sorry Toddy no probs have tried to delete :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ah, I should have been clearer; sorry.

I meant that the post was noted and a Mod had said so but that it was in context and just to leave it be, but to take any other conversation on it to pm.

The bit from the guidelines was the nuts and bolts, so to speak.

atb,
Mary

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Let us all attempt to clean up and to corral this rubbish.
Let us all hope that our administrations (in their infinite wisdoms) provide me with the space and the
place to divide my rubbish.
I live in a little mountain village and we do have such a place, called a "Transfer Station."
We can dump everything from wood to old propane tanks, used oil, you name it.
Just sort it out, drive in a circle and fling it into the appropriate bins.
Even a swap shed where I can leave dishes and clothing.

Not everyone in my village is well to do. I don't care who takes what but I am content to dump
a whole lot of things which I will never use and hope that they go to families that can rest easy with extra items.
Just as simple as coffee mugs and electrical extension cords.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE