trying out the Big Boy and night out camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
I went camping last night with my mates Scott and Russ, I wanted to try out my new big knife I made, here are some pictures of the knife in action, splitting,feathering and fero rod fire lighting, I did not take any chopping or snedding pix but it worked well, as good as my Busse basic9 and CS Trailmaster but the extra length and weight made splitting a breeze . I also took my RM bucksaw and my old fave the 3mm Bisonbushcraft (I would have used one of my knives but sold all my 3mm scandis and thought my woodie clone was a bit overkill with the big boy), I think that there is one major flaw with the RM saw but its ok for a night or two. I didnt take a kip bag I slept in a Mors Kochanski style super shelter so I needed to burn all night to keep warm.
IMAG0058.jpg
hope you like!!!
IMAG0060.jpg

IMAG0043.jpg

this is a quarter of what I burned through the night,
IMAG0044.jpg

IMAG0034.jpg

IMAG0031.jpg

IMAG0030.jpg

IMAG0038.jpg

IMAG0040.jpg

IMAG0054.jpg

thats the worst pic of me ,ever! but the super shelter is great!
IMAG0056.jpg

I am a compulsive feather-sticker!
IMAG0050.jpg

IMAG0033.jpg

IMAG0032.jpg

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
I did have a blanket. But it was a mild night anyway so I could've slept out with either the blanket or fire. I will not bother with the blanket next time I go in a month or so just have a big fire. First time I used one of these shelters was in Canada at minus 10 and l was cooking!!!! I have slept by the fire loads of times most of them I have used my coat as a pillow as it was so warm. Try it but make some type of bed if possible and better still build a Kochanski super shelter. Carry less by knowing more!! That's what the great man says. The next 2nighter will be dedicated to the skills taught by Mors.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
nice setup guys big fire big knife big supershelter and a couple of mates looked like a great night regards dave

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
10 1/2" blade 1/4" thick flat grind with a secondary bevel 01 steel 58rc ,handle is green canvas micarta with grey and maroon liners.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Compulsive feather-sticker you say?How about Master Feather-Sticker!By the looks of that impressive pile,I'd be afraid to get too near with a spark,sort of like gasoline!Well done.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE