travelling light.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

outdoord

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
United Kingdom
Food / water for multi days - does that fit in with that lot too?

I've only done 2 days 1 night so far but i think it would.. I took 2L last time and it was enough for the 2 days and the night.. not a huge fan of tea/coffee- only have 1 in the morning so its just little sips often :)

As for food I have a 500ml pot with a cosy and the breakfast/food for 24hrs fits inside nicely :)

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
My food and water alone for multi nights would fill a 30 ltr bag(i dont have a water source on my usual trips)i carry minimum of 3 ltrs per day,then food,cooking kit,tarp,bivi,sleeping bag,waterproof jacket,first aid,brew kit,kip matt,30lt for me not a chance even in summer.

Jaan

Forager
Apr 22, 2011
Tallinn, Estonia
In the process of throwing out my heavy bushcrafting cookie-cutter kit and replacing it with lighter stuff.

The aim is to get my base pack weight without food and water under 9 kilos. It's entirely doable and I can post a plan for that later on in the evening once I get home.

Mind you the interest is still bushcraft and not lightweight backpacking, but I want to combine those and create a lightweight bushcraft kit. I'll take a saw and a full-tang knife just not some other heavy items.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Stu(raikey) i was going to mention you and your tiny weeney max p bag as being the only time ive seen someone with a small ruck out for a weekend, but then id have to mention your butler with the provisions and golf clubs! as for me,when you drink tea by the gallon they weight of the bags add's up!

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Here’s a good way to sort out your kit, Next time you return home from a couple o nights out, sort out your kit into 3 piles,
1 Kit you used all the time, 2 kit you used occasionally, and 3 kit you never used, then ditch the last two piles.
A 35lt pack and a 12lt bum bag has done me just fine for years from weekend trips or extended 6 or 7 day hundred mile walks.Travailing light requires some radical rethinking though, Southey got the right idea but X2 water bottles ”luxury” 1 bottle and loads o water purification tabs. You got to think like some of the new polar explorers, some even cut the labels out their shirts just to save weight.
Ps Blackfeather you must be right about the getting older and softer though I used to manage to walk across Scotland with just a 25Lt day sack and a packet o fags.

Last edited:

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Two nights kit inc food and 3ltr of water.
DSC_0077.jpg

DSC_0078.jpg

Doss bag. (elite3)
survival blanket
mess tins with food and drinks (all powder based)
Trangia triangle + burner
Tarp
water bag.
Fuel bottle

Mat and bivvy on front
top pocket has
FAK
headtorch
spare cordage and mora.

Last edited:

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
What you are wearing, a change of clothes, water proofs, shelter and sleeping stuff, what you need to prepare food with and navigation/signalling and that's it for lightweight, everything else to be added or removed as per your basic needs and levels of comfort.

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
Blimey :eek: What's your load out for that!?

That is the load - before consumables. so water, food, fuel are added and the weight obviously goes up proportionally. If I have the dogs then the food weight is massive!

Golite hex 3 outer
prolite 3 shorty (downmat 7 if very cold)
AK47 rucksack + sea to summit ultralite liner - larger loads POD black ice
SL utopia 1 ground sheet
Rab down bag
Ti pot and burner
spork
thermal leggins for night wear (doubles as spares)
Merino long sleeve T for night wear (doubles as spares)
Spare socks
waterproofs
2x walking poles
Compass
Map
Platty water bag
Water steritabs
head torch

+ water / food / dog stuff as appropriate

I used to keep a spread sheet as to what it all weighed but I just cant be bothered these days.:eek:

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Stu(raikey) i was going to mention you and your tiny weeney max p bag as being the only time ive seen someone with a small ruck out for a weekend, but then id have to mention your butler with the provisions and golf clubs! as for me,when you drink tea by the gallon they weight of the bags add's up!

Aye, r Jud says he doesn't need much kit n snap. Eyts enuff at ome an has plenty o lining :D

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Chiseller, i will be honest and say im struggling with what you just wrote,what with me being a Manc living in Scotland and all! Got the bit up to kit,the rest i have no clue.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Two nights kit inc food and 3ltr of water.
DSC_0077.jpg

DSC_0078.jpg

Doss bag. (elite3)
survival blanket
mess tins with food and drinks (all powder based)
Trangia triangle + burner
Tarp
water bag.
Fuel bottle

Mat and bivvy on front
top pocket has
FAK
headtorch
spare cordage and mora.

Looks good. Unfortunately in my climate I drink more than 4 liters of water per day. And that doesn't count what's needed for cooking or reconstituting food. Come to think of it, I drank that much when in England as well.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I'm always surprised at people's reluctance to fill up on the journey and consequently of carrying lots of heavy water. I don't mind asking at a farm, pub, shop, cafe, filling up at a suitable cattle trough or filtering watering (with a "proper" water treatment filter not just a millbank). I aim to carry 1.5 ltrs. I drink one and have the .5 ltr for drinking whilst looking for more water.

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
Nice load out bud and some Gucci kit there :)

I guess before fo0d and water, I'm not too far off that weight either but it's twice the size :lmao:

It didn't start out as Gucci :eek:..... But you know the old adage: You can have cheap, you can have lightweight and you can have durability but you can't have all three.

WRT bulk - sleeping equipment takes the bulk of most loads. A short self inflating mat and a down bag goes a long way to chop out the bulk. :)

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
On my last 3 day trip, my pack weighed 12.5kg inc food & water. Since then I have tried to get the weight down.

New smaller pack, top quilt, tarp & underquilt :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE