Top three items in your kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hmm

The Axe that Cegga made for me

The knife that Stu made for me

The pot that Ogri made for me

Well up there too are my possibles pouch (Leon), my SAK pouch and matching steel an stone pouch (topknot) and my spoon (weaver) - and any one of the lovely pieces that Singteck has belssed me with

Somehow the things made for me by friends old and new have replaced any desires I have for "commercial" things over the years.

So on balance the best things I have are

Family

Friends Old & New

A beautiful world to play in

Red

Lostdreamer

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2007
Wmids
The three best bits of my kit? The kindof things that I just couldn't manage without, that get used every day, every time I go out eh?

1) Tilley hat. Everyone else seems to have put their coat down. I have several coats, but only one hat. Tilley hats: An all weather, all season item.

2) Leatherman. Can't be bothered to go and find the right tool for the job? Don't own the right tool for the job? Use a leatherman. It'll bodge anything.

3) Fire-in-a-box. You know, the little charcol stick fueled handwarmer things? Brilliant. Warmth, without you having to get changed. Warmth, when you have just put on your last layer. Warmth, when all your kit is soaked. Warmth for your toes at night. If I had to function out of peak season without these, I would be a less happy bunny.

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
How about a big one it shows that you can burn fungus in them.The tea holder put some in it and hang near you at camp keep bugs away

Moff8

Forager
Jul 19, 2004
Glasgow
1. Merino wool top and leggings - its nice to be snug

2. SAK - think its the rambler

3. Woolen Jumper from Asda - goes with me everytime.

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
The three best bits of my kit? The kind of things that I just couldn't manage without, that get used every day, every time I go out eh?

That's exactly what I meant. It's bringing up an interesting list so far with lots of clothing, loads of fire steels and numerous cookers.

I though that if nothing else it may highlight the most basic items that a newby might want to get when entering the world of bushcraft.

Chris

Porcupine

Forager
Aug 24, 2005
Leek,The Netherlands
yes Johan, you are right :) , and a lid... hmmm, dont you have a spare one in that crate you lug around?

what is funny to see is how most of us try to cram in a 4th item, seems we are still kithungry hehe

Cephas

Jul 9, 2007
Chaves, Portugal
Only three items? Ok, that's a simple one:

1: My SAK;

2: My Zippo;

3: My Boots (always with Gore-Tex)

Now, if in winter or bad weather i'll have to ad 3 more items:

:D

1: 3 layer Gore-Tex jacket;

2: Military issue tarp/poncho/tent;

3: Sleeping bag.

Well, ended up with six...

But the 3 first ones (SAK, Zippo and boots) are at the top of my list. :)

Lostdreamer

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2007
Wmids
How about a big one it shows that you can burn fungus in them.The tea holder put some in it and hang near you at camp keep bugs away

Could work, but I have no problems with just packing out the charcoal sticks. As a by-the-way, if anyone smokes cigarillos (Ie the baby cigars), the metal tins make great boxes for packing said charcoal sticks in. If I want more heat, I just light another one. Saves me looking for fungus. Besides, the small ones can get damn hot. That huge one must be a positive inferno!

That tea holder widget- can you elaborate? Exactly what is it? How well does it work?

If I were to follow the pattern of adding a fourth item to the list, it would probably be a 'buff' (or two). The tubular elasticated headgear things. They turn into an extra item ranging from scarf through balaclava to hat if you are cold, and if you are swealtering in the heat you just soak it in water and drop around your neck/wrists (which you can do with any old rag as it happens). Tiny, and very handy.

There is one other thing that I tend to pack out with me. It doesn't often make it back tho. Never underestimate the practical value of a bottle of scotch/port/whatever. There are few better ways of introducing yourself to someone than offering them a drink, even if they are teetotal. And if you don't say hello to people, you don't get to chat about anything, everything, learn new ways of doing things you hadn't thought of, borrow their lighter, beg a hand doing whatever and generally make new friends.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Good topic, very thought provoking so OK, here goes,

One of my SAK's, not too fussed which as long as it has a saw, but usually my favourite is a Huntsman.

My barbour jacket, a Border I think, looks a scruffy as hell but keeps me warm, dry and protected from thorns etc. Stands up well to sparks too. Plenty of odds & ends in the many pockets too.

Firesteel - one I bought as a blank and fitted with a bit of antler for a handle.

Dave

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
My mora knife, found it. It was bent crooked and edge ruined. Made it straight and sharp. I made a birchbark sheath for it. Also removed red paint from handle and put some linseed oil on it.

My filt trousers from belgian army. Found it somewhere in a factory where tons of clothes had been dumped. The stitches were falling apart so repaired it. I wear it all the time and I carry quite some stuff in it's pockets and on the belt.

My firesteel, because I love fire. I've made fire about once a day in the last months, always used the firesteel, I like it a lot.

Other then that, I appreciate the rest of my clothes on my body as well.

Just to make it more interesting:
Things I like least of my kit:

My Ecco goretex boots. Most expensive piece of equipment I got, bought it 3 years ago for 130 euro. My feet get sweaty immediately, hard to dry, they're heavy and I'm looking forward to the day they're worn out and I can throw them in the bins.

2,5 pint Kelly Kettle with accesories, it's leaking (but still useable) after I accidentally stepped a bit on it once.. It's too weakly built and doesn't have much use except if you're an englishmen needing to drink tea all day ;) I always make an open fire and don't need to have the water boiling a bit faster. Although I've had pleasure using this thing, flames coming out of the chimney is a great view, and it was nice to try out this concept, I carried it in my rucksack quite some times.. I've been humiliated a bit by the thing leaking and thus not working as good as it's supposed to when having to make tea for friends.. Also it's to expensive for what it is. The accesories were quite useless.

My saws, I don't like sawing and enjoy chopping much more. Nuff said.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Silky saw, any type
Woll hat with ear flaps, cheap from a festival
Flint and steel

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
1. Fjallraven strides
2. Swanni Zip Mosgiel
3. Soldier SAK

Fjallraven Greenland troos. If you wear Fjallraven, you'll know why these are on the list.

Swanni - see above.

Why the SAK? Not fixed blade (does not 'draw attention'), fits easily in pocket, and does most of what I want to do when wandering around normally. Would add fixed blade (Helle Fjellkniven) for 'proper' bushcrafting days out, carried in bag.

I suppose if we had more than three choices, tarp, billy and home-made firesteel. All you need, really.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

Nice one Robert :)

PS, if any of you guys and gals want advise on meths/alcohol stoves, Oops56 is the man to ask, he's forgotten more about building them than most of us will ever learn

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
Thanks Richard i know a lot not all i make 3 or 4 alcohol stoves a week not all work. i try to get more burn time on a 1/2 oz. for a 16 oz. water the best i got so far was 11 min. on 1/2 oz. I burn 1/2 gallon a week on alcohol or more.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE