Your top 10 first items to get

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Damo!

May 10, 2016
Hitchin
Hi all,

Apologies if there are already threads like this, but if you were starting out fresh again, what would be your first 10 best items for a weekend in the woods that you would purchase?

I currently have nothing apart form a tent and some portable cooking equipment and a knife, so looking to find what other members consider good kit.
I'll be looking to purchase a hammock and tarp at some point too as i feel it would be easier than a tent.

Looking forward to seeing some answers. Thanks

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Depends on where you are going. I know lots of people love their tarps, but in midge country?

Best items for me would have to be pertex and pile clothing, followed by a nice old felted woolly jumper that you don't mind getting sparks on from the fire. A basic hatchet and a simple cheap folding saw.

Damo!

May 10, 2016
Hitchin
Depends on where you are going. I know lots of people love their tarps, but in midge country?

Best items for me would have to be pertex and pile clothing, followed by a nice old felted woolly jumper that you don't mind getting sparks on from the fire. A basic hatchet and a simple cheap folding saw.

Thanks for that, i guess my main focus will be forest/woodlands. I have got my eyes on one of those hammocks with buildt in nets.
Also, can anybody recommend a good backpack around the 40/45L mark?

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Having poured scorn on the tarp brigade, I've had the most fun camping in a home-made hammock, no cover or any protection, just put up in heavy tree cover on a hillside. Remarkably little rain comes through the trees and when there isn't much grass on the ground, not many midges either.

As for the backpack, go for something that fits your body shape. Sturdy rather than fancy and a bit bigger rather than smaller. Side pockets are brill because you can pack snacks and a waterbottle in them for eating on the go. A top pocket that fits a map is great too.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
For where I tend to be:

Sleeping bag
Bivi
Sleeping mat
Tarp
Billy can
Stainless bottle
Bahco laplander saw
Mora clipper knife
Gransfors axe
Light my fire firesteel/ fero rod or just a couple of bic lighters

Where I havn't been specific I would but the absolute best I could afford, cry once and enjoy them forever.
I assume with the above list you'd already have some sort of outdoor clothing.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Think about what your priorities are for a good weekend.

Good food?
decent nights sleep?
staying dry?
carving a spoon
camp fire.

Once you know whats important to you you can organise your kit accordingly.

Mountain in marathoners are prepared to sacrifice comfort for speed. Others want 3 Dutch ovens and a huge fire pit.

My my list would be.

tent
sleeping matt
down sleeping bag
head torch
disposable lighters
small knife
axe
cup with lid
dutch oven
rucksac.

I would have a saw and coffee too

knifeman

Forager
May 27, 2015
england
I can highly recommend the Swedish LK35 rucksack, It's brilliant for what I need. One downside is that it doesn't come with a said strap but they're cheap enough and make it A LOT more comfortable, although it's only 35 litres you can strap your mat on the bottom and your sleeping bag on the top and then you have the rest of the bag for everything else.

Its a great pack for around £20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
Don't think in terms of: which 10 items to get first. Think of it as: Everything you need!

Any mandatory number you put on things, will just leave you in trouble. If all you have is a tent and some cooking gear, and have no tested skills yet, you'll need more than 10 items to be safe and comfortable unless you're getting someone else to carry and buy your stuff.

Damo!

May 10, 2016
Hitchin
WOW! Some great answers here.
I'm noticing a trend towards saw, axes and bedding!

Think im going to also have to invest in a small single man tent that's light, thanks for all the info.

Im a complete noob so it's all really useful. I guess my main "focus" would be to just get out and explore and get used to light camping (we go camping at camp-sites with a car LOADED with stuff)

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
WOW! Some great answers here.
I'm noticing a trend towards saw, axes and bedding!

Think im going to also have to invest in a small single man tent that's light, thanks for all the info.

Im a complete noob so it's all really useful. I guess my main "focus" would be to just get out and explore and get used to light camping (we go camping at camp-sites with a car LOADED with stuff)

If you're already camping then you probably have a fair amount of kit that will double up. It really depends on what you think is important there are lots of fashions in Bushcraft and as many opinions as members on here.

My rule for my instructors and customers remains the same as long as it works and it's safe it has to be right.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
#1 is boots. Boots to get you there and back. Bad boots will ruin even a day trip.
Food and fire things
Shelter from bugs and weather
Clothing as cold is a misery with a threat

Miniwhisk

Forager
Apr 7, 2010
Gloucestershire
Wherever I go, I'm never without a bottle of water a plastic sheet and cordage. That's even when I to to work - always on me.Getting the basics for camping in the woods derive from two points of view: Survival: This category is the basic requirements for safety. So, if in cooler conditions (generally most nights even in summer) hypothermia prevention - shelter and means to create warmth. This includes rain gear, insulation layers and general protection from the elements. This might well include fire making. Then first aid/medical - a kit and perhaps think about what would be required if the conditions were remote etc. How would you get help if you needed it? High on the list, hydration - clean water and how you might obtain that (filter, boil or both). You need to eat - what food will you carry and what will you cook with? Then perhaps, survival tools, to include fire making and wood cutting.You don't necessarily need a hank of paracord but it's very handy if your chosen shelter requires it.You don't necessarily need a knife but splitting wood and making some utensils is very desirable.The other point of view is one of comfort and enjoyment. Here, all things become a personal choice. . For example, my idea of clean water includes a tea bag and some sugar, a stove and pot to make my brew. ;)

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
1. Good rucksack
2. Tarp
3. Roll mat
4. Sleeping bag
5. Bivvy bag
6. Water container (bottle or bladder)
7. Fire lighting kit
8. Trangia stove with small meths bottle
9. Folding saw
10. Knife

With some food and proper clothing will do me nicely for a weekend. I normally take more but i wouldn't see any of the extras are needed. Some great ideas above.

Tonyuk

Damo!

May 10, 2016
Hitchin
Looking at rucksacks and it's really confusing what to go for. Im a tall guy, 6'4 and seems most ride up the bag. Also want something that I can attach a tent & bedroll to. Also need a fair amount of storage space.
Seems to be a lot of hit and miss stuff on the market.

Clothing wise, at the moment I intend to only go in the summer, so I can get a few pairs of cargos for that. Already got a decent pair of boots.

I'll eventually get to a hammock and tarp once I learn a few knots and how to properly mount them on a tree etc. Baby steps, for now a simple 1 man tent will do.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Looking at rucksacks and it's really confusing what to go for. Im a tall guy, 6'4 and seems most ride up the bag. Also want something that I can attach a tent & bedroll to. Also need a fair amount of storage space.
Seems to be a lot of hit and miss stuff on the market.

Clothing wise, at the moment I intend to only go in the summer, so I can get a few pairs of cargos for that. Already got a decent pair of boots.

I'll eventually get to a hammock and tarp once I learn a few knots and how to properly mount them on a tree etc. Baby steps, for now a simple 1 man tent will do.

Go to any good outdoor shop and try them on. Many have an adjustable height back now to get the waist belt to sit on the hips nicely. Remember that bedrolls and such are bulky and heavy, a lot of modern packs are now geared towards lighter & smaller kit.

Tonyuk

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
I have no experience of that pack, but I do have of the seller, used them loads and always found them spot on. One order arrived damaged, they replaced it and refunded the postage no quibbles and were very courteus too.

GreenNomad

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2016
Hertfordshire
Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE