Toowoomba Flood, Queensland.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
A five minute video taken from an office window shows just how quickly things can go wrong...

[video=youtube;kYUpkPTcqPY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYUpkPTcqPY[/video]

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Scary stuff! That guy moving the 4x4 didn't have much time left did he. I took a bus through there in 1997 to go to the outback to cotton chip and there hadn't been any rain for about 3 months... it looked bit different to this footage!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...That guy moving the 4x4 didn't have much time left did he..."

There was something quite surreal about someone holding an umbrella over his head while trying to rescue his big gnarly 4x4. I don't think his car was in any danger of being swept away at that point but fast moving debris in the water or indeed another floating car could have changed his world quite quickly.

I have a Defender 110 and would have left it to its fate, its probably heavy enough not to be washed away. Granted it would be quite damp, smelly and probably wouldn't start afterwards, but those things could be said of it most days. :)

Last edited:
T

Tom1980

That is horrible! Let's hope the rain stops soon, think of all the animals that will drown!

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
thats madness! if you didnt know about all the water and you walked out and saw all the cars like they you would think there was some incredibly bad parkers around

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
The Bloke in the 4x4 seems to be locking his Hubs not letting the air out of his Tyres.

I used to have a 4x4 Pickup with free wheeling hubs and you just turned a handle in the middle of the wheel to lock the wheels into 4 wheel drive.

It was so you only turned the wheels and not the complete front drivetrain, when you were in 2 wheeldrive..

It was fun if you forgot to lock it before it was too late.

A sensible bloke to think of it first.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
One of the contractors in my team lives in Brisbane... we're trying to work out how long his laptop battery will last as they are turning off the power tonight!

It's the first time I've had to add "catastrophic biblical flood" to my project risk register!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Just had to watch it again just to see that Subaru disappear down the river :)

It's the first time I've had to add "catastrophic biblical flood" to my project risk register!

Lol, we tagged one of our faults as "Moist act of God" when we lost the BT exchange in Sheffield in the floods of '07

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
Those Australian floods are mega scary nothing compared to UK, they have open flat areas with no terrain resistance. Hard baked soil flats with no trees or foilage to support the course of water.The surface speed was immense , no saying what the undercurrents are like.
There are few traditional built properties there, they are mainly all large prefabricated buildings with no wall protection, water was crashing against the external walls at 180 degrees, the properties solums will be knackered. Where do you go due to the expanse of water, there is no chance of a pre plan emergency flood contingency plan working, nothing could cater or deal with such events.Everything is a hail mary just now.
Fire is horrific and deadly, but these type of floods are your worse nightmare. Congested buildings and towns cause water resistance in this country, their towns are so open.
God bless those poor souls, I,ve had a wee taste of dealing with flooding but nothing compared to this, this is a nightmare.

phil

Last edited:

No Idea

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
And I think I had problems with the snow...

Sort of puts it into perspective a bit.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have travelled up and down the queensland coast and seen some heavy tropical rains which flooded the streets, but nothing like that!
I wonder if its La Nina thats caused all their greif too?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE