Disaster on the homestead!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If a life of self sufficiency and homesteading appeals, spare a moment to think about how you would cope with a significant injury :nurse:

We are finding out right now just how tough a significant injury can be and how quickly it changes things

Reactions: oldtimer and SaraR

just_john

Mar 22, 2012
South Wales
Terrible news, really sorry to hear that, wishing you a speedy recovery as possible.

I have to say you seem to be dealing with it better than I think I would, certainly a positive reflection of your character.
Also an eye opener, how would I get by on statutory sick pay? I wouldn't is the answer. Thanks for the video

Reactions: British Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Terrible news, really sorry to hear that, wishing you a speedy recovery as possible.

I have to say you seem to be dealing with it better than I think I would, certainly a positive reflection of your character.
Also an eye opener, how would I get by on statutory sick pay? I wouldn't is the answer. Thanks for the video
Fiona is very tough, but it's been a real eye opener. Life can change in a heartbeat

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Oh Fiona, you have all my best wishes for a speedy recovery. I've been through relearning to walk after an accident that broke my right knee, I almost had to have it amputated above the knee, so I can sympathise. I was in my early twenties, so healing was quicker, as you get older, it takes longer, as breaking 3 bones in my foot during lockdown proved.
Do take the time to heal properly, and don't try to run before you can walk. ;)
I wish I was nearer and could help you both out.
Have you thought of getting in woofers while you are out of action?
Big hug to you.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Blimey, don't do things by half measures ;)

I can fully sympathise though, as you know i suddenly fell ill a little while back, spent seven weeks in hospital where i too had to learn how to walk again, first with a zimmer, then with crutches, which i'm still on, hardest bit for me was coming home to an empty house and having to adapt as best i could to life as it was now going to be, but being presented with that challenge and me being a resourceful chap, it got my brain working as to what i could do to make my situation better, hopefully i will get my surgeries this year and life will somewhat return to what it was,although i think my days of doing twenty miles over the hills are long gone, but time will tell, going to have to learn to walk before i can run - literally.

Thankfully like you i had and have a good network of friends and family around me to help and it's where i found out who my real friends really were, and that includes some on BCUK, who i have never met, but who have stood by me, they cant help me physically, but have been there when i wanted a chat, or just sent me an email, pm or text seeing how i was and it really helped me on those dark days, tbh, it was more than i got from some family members.

Anyways, thoughts are with you, just a shame we are not closer geographically as Fiona and i could have sword fights with our crutches, btw, in time those crutches can be put to all manner of uses, i've got to the stage now where i can pick things up off the floor with them like a huge pair of chopsticks, its quite funny to watch apparently.

• Love

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Blimey, don't do things by half measures ;)

I can fully sympathise though, as you know i suddenly fell ill a little while back, spent seven weeks in hospital where i too had to learn how to walk again, first with a zimmer, then with crutches, which i'm still on, hardest bit for me was coming home to an empty house and having to adapt as best i could to life as it was now going to be,.
Bloody hell Mark, the empty house must have been incredibly daunting. I wasn't on here at the time - wish I had known. I'm always here if you want a chat, moan or swear!

Reactions: Kepis

Jonno70

Dec 23, 2023
Cumbria
Nice to see a positive response and mind set from the nasty break. Hope she has a speedy recovery and I will be watching the rest of the youtube content as that has been my 1st viewing. I only have an allotment and the work that goes into that is hard enough, hats off to you both.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nice to see a positive response and mind set from the nasty break. Hope she has a speedy recovery and I will be watching the rest of the youtube content as that has been my 1st viewing. I only have an allotment and the work that goes into that is hard enough, hats off to you both.
Thanks Jonno!

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I really hope that Fiona continues to make a full and swift recovery Hugh. I've often wondered about those couples that decide an 'island life' or similar is their ideal (sometimes with kids) and if they've thought out what happens a) when one of them is incapacitated and b) when the arthritis sets in. I have days when I have to take more Ibuprofen than I'd like to get the work done in the wood and I'm not old yet (well, it's just a number isn't it?). You're too far away to offer you help, but my thoughts are with you both.

P.S. the missus had a hip op end of November - so I was doing all the cooking etc. for weeks - the worst bit was letting go of MY kitchen when she was back on her feet :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I really hope that Fiona continues to make a full and swift recovery Hugh. I've often wondered about those couples that decide an 'island life' or similar is their ideal (sometimes with kids) and if they've thought out what happens a) when one of them is incapacitated and b) when the arthritis sets in. I have days when I have to take more Ibuprofen than I'd like to get the work done in the wood and I'm not old yet (well, it's just a number isn't it?). You're too far away to offer you help, but my thoughts are with you both.
Thanks buddy, not going to lie, it's tough right now but keeping a brave face on it for Fiona

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Ooofff, it shows you how doing something so simple can end up having such a major effect on your life.

Wishing Fiona as speedy a recovery as possible and Hugh, look after yourself as well you'll be under a lot of pressure getting things done as you also care for her.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ooofff, it shows you how doing something so simple can end up having such a major effect on your life.

Wishing Fiona as speedy a recovery as possible and Hugh, look after yourself as well you'll be under a lot of pressure getting things done as you also care for her.
Thanks Steve, it is tough as there are so many small things that I need to help with - from tooth cleaning (she can't stand at the sink) to making a drink. It's not hardship for me to look after her though

Reactions: Macaroon

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
As a long term - future horizon suggestion have you ever considered accommodating as a HelpX host?

Accommodation doesn't honestly need to be much - Ive stayed in old Caravans from the 70's and by the time they have a small woodburner installed and some fairy lights it makes it all a little more Hygge.

Anyway - just an idea - you are not getting any younger!!!

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
If a life of self sufficiency and homesteading appeals, spare a moment to think about how you would cope with a significant injury :nurse:

We are finding out right now just how tough a significant injury can be and how quickly it changes things

Do you need anything that I might post to you? x

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE