Tonights Scout Meeting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Well the scout leading continues well so far folks.
We had five move up from cubs tonight, all of them SAT still through a knife sharpening talk I gave all of them then wanted their pocket knives sharpened.
then a dozen scouts used Lisa and my collection of mora's to work on a staff each and no one cut themselves! not even me :lmao:
mildly scared the assistant by using his knife for sharpening demonstration and getting it sharper than he ahs ever had it (smug me never)
had a nice chat with one of the new members parents who wholeheartedly agreed with my views on knives etc (always nice)
but the best bit was when one new members mum collected him his first words were " can i come back next week and can i have a pocket knife?"
warm and fuzzy feeling of satisfaction is well and truely in place just wanted to share.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Knives are a fun subject to talk about and practice with, but to be honest I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that it's a good idea to bring the parents in for educating too. Number of times I've had kids told they can't have hiking boots because then I'll be able to do axe work with them (I just say strong boots, hiking boots are ideal) but that's more for a stable footing than actually smacking their feet with axes - they're usually kneeling when splittng or chopping firewood.

I lectured on drugs last night to the kids, similar situation with a lot of young 'uns. I don't tell them to talk to frank, I'm just frank with them - after all I've seen both sides at university and in the back of an ambulance (I was treating before you get a silly idea).

6 is the lowest age for beavers, 5.5 they can start at beavers if you can find a colony without a waiting list, but certainly a good idea to get them on it asap. You can usually get them on quicker if you offer to help (or even lead!)

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Nope the reason is "I'm not getting x hiking boots because I don't want them using an axe" ignoring the fact they've signed the activity permission form (without reading it as usual) - I usually ask them why they don't have boots _after_ doing the axe work.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Nope the reason is "I'm not getting x hiking boots because I don't want them using an axe" ignoring the fact they've signed the activity permission form (without reading it as usual) - I usually ask them why they don't have boots _after_ doing the axe work.

Christ! Should've signed them up for ballet class then. :togo:

Tetley

Apr 21, 2008
Bremetannacum Vetenorum
Beavers is age 6 to 8 , cubs 8 to 11 and scout 11 - 14 then they go to explorers 14 - 18 (think beavers with money and spots LOL ) then they completely revert and become Leaders LOL !

Scouting is Ace fun , get to do outdoors stuff and inspire more kids to do it too rather than hang around the middle of the village being "bored" :)

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Good on you Sam!

I told you would love it and the Kids definitely seem to too!

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Tetley - cubs run from 8-10, scouts 10-14. In uk scout association anyway - not sure about BSA scouts.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Alright...frirstly, well done M.O.T. glad it went well...keep at it, use common sense and encourage the inquisitiveness in the youngsters and refute the anxieties of their parents (through education and demonstration).

As for boots Tim n, an idea I came up with, get parents to hand in old walking boots to the group when too small for their own kids, and pass on...before you know it there is a healthy pool of boots being used time and again.

As for not buying them because they are worried about their kids doing axe work, think about the parent, their socioeconomic background, and it may be an excuse to hide the cost...and to be honest I hate buying boots for my two, as no sooner have they worn them in and they are too small...Dont just accept face value...but if it really IS the case they are worried about the use of axes, then the onus is on you to educate and explore the prejudice around axes...

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Very well done M.O.T. The enthusiasm is contagious!

As usual, Stovie has offered great info from his experience. Spot on with the possibility of the socioeconomic circumstances and educating the parents.

When I was a young Scout, my troop had an "experienced / veteran" uniform closet that the youth Quartermaster kept. Any Scout could sign out the uniform items (which included footwear) the same as tentage, mess kits, knives, axes, saws, etc., etc. I know I took advantage of this resource, often, without the stigmatism of poverty. Most units offer this because it is useful and there always is some need.

Yours in Scouting,

Gordy

Last edited:

Tetley

Apr 21, 2008
Bremetannacum Vetenorum
Ahhhh we keep them longer in cubs due to the size of our Scout troop , core age in POR is 8 to 10 and a half but they can join at 7 and a half and go up at 11 , likewise scouts can be from 10 and a half to 14 and a half , just that bit of flexibility in the rules , helsp our Scout Leader to keep the troop size down as we have 2 packs feeding into it . Only inflexible ages are 6 to start beavers and 18 to leave explorers now I believe :)

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
We had problems holdnig kids past their 10th birthday in cubs - they get bored and leave. As soon as they're 9.5 we'll start introducing them to Scouts - but our troop night is on a different day so we loose many to another troop which is on the same day as cubs. Annoys me because cubs are trained to a much higher level than those that walk in off the street - all the cubs that have now joined me know so much more and I can do so much more with them.

S

steelyglint

I've just come back from a Cubs sleepover with my pack, full group bonfire and fireworks display (run by our Explorers) then sleepover and a full day of activities today, the little darlings didn't go to sleep until 3 am and then only after Shere Kahn (me) gave them a real blasting.

I get so much back from it though yes it can be hard work but it's well worth it, the experienced leaders in our group have so much knowledge they've forgotten more than I know.

Enjoy !

Yours in Scouting

Martin

kevin1

Jun 17, 2009
Poole
Hi i have been a leader for 26 years and knives should play a large part in scouting as long as long as it is controled.i have had a knife in my pocket since i can remember.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Sam
good to see someone else showing knifework to the kids

Sounds great mate my lads 5 how old do you have to be to join ?
its just up my sons street

The core age for Beavers is 6 to 8 but they can start at 5 and 3/4 if they are ready and the colony can take them all age ranges are flexible where necessary.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE