Tonights Scout Meeting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Vickyjs

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2008
Devon
I'm a Guide leader (for 24 years) and I teach the girls to use knives. No parents have complained - infact they are very supportive, we always warn them at the beginning of a term if knives are going to be used. The girls love making wood crafty stuff, and some are very good. At the moment we just use swiss army knives (I bought up a set of second hand ones before the ebay ban and lend them out so that I can monitor their use, condition, and take them away if needed) but I'm thinking of changing to fixed blade now - I've just ordered some moras for my youth club kids (who also do a bit of woodcraft - recurring theme!!)
I think it's important for young people (boys and girls) to learn practical skills.
We're looking at getting some axes and reintroducing axe skills next. I was a Guider in South Africa for a while and there is still an 'Axe woman badge' as part of the Guide programme. It's very scary watching girls wearing flipflops weilding axes but no one seemed bothered there - it's hot, why would you wear boots anywway!

whitey3192

Forager
Oct 23, 2010
North yorkshire
can i ask how you went about becoming a scout leader????
its something ive been interested in for a while since leaving the army but ive looked on the scout website and cant seem to find anything of any use, any help much appreciated.

cheers

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
it's probably worth shopping round to find the right scout group. some are more keen on recruiting rugby coaches than attaining woodcraft/bushcraft expertise.

it's definately a good crack though.

cheers, and.

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Couldn't agree more. My scout troop loves it when we do knife work, for example last 2 weeks we've been carving spoons and there was some cracking results. Good to hear so many other groups out there are still practicing such essential skills rather than some who are full of soft scouts who just like to play games and sit inside!

Yours in scouting
Dan

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
thanks alot craig!

it's probably worth shopping round to find the right scout group. some are more keen on recruiting rugby coaches than attaining woodcraft/bushcraft expertise.

it's definately a good crack though.

cheers, and.
Offer your sevices on Escouts and someone in your area will happily take you up on it am sure

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE