Lion Steel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I made the mistake of skimming through the U.K.-friendly folding knife section on the Heinnie website and came across a Lion Steel folder that appeals on grounds of aesthetics as well as steel choice and so on. I know nothing about the maker and was wondering whether their knives are good, bad, indifferent? The price point suggests quality but I was wondering if anyone here has had experience of them, in the pocket and in the field.

The model that tempts me is this one:
https://heinnie.com/lion-steel-bestman-micarta-single-blade/

Any feedback or guidance would be very welcome and will determine whether I press the 'add to cart' button!

Many thanks!

Reactions: Sieddy

Athos

Mar 12, 2021
East Sussex
I’ve got one, it’s well made and M390 is great steel. Very sturdy, I’d recommend it although I prefer my Spyderco UKPK for everyday carry as it sits more nicely in the pocket.

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
I have this exact folder, as well as the Lionsteel M4 in M390 and the M5 in CPM 3V.

All excellent blades and blade steel, although they are a but of a bugger to sharpen unless you have diamond stones.

The folder is my favourite EDC, as I find it just the right size for a pocket knife. And the fact you don't have to constantly sharpen it as you would a swiss army knife or similar.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I rate Lion Steel very highly. I have two of their fixed blades, a locking folder, all in Sleipner the Thrill slip joint and the Micarta Bestman with single blade in M390. The latter is a my usual office EDC. I have a number of other EDC options, including a Spyderco S110V UKPK, Viper Dan1 and a couple of Boker plus. The Bestman is a good size, unassuming, feels nice, and cuts well.

I think so much of it that I bough one for a friend, and guided another friend to it as his first and only non-kitchen knife. Viper make some nice looking knives, but the Key model I bought as an option for the second friend was a total nail buster and was returned.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I hate to admit it, but I haven't 'done the deal' - yet. I was distracted by this alternative to the Lion Steel Bestman. As before, I was wondering if anyone had any experience of it and whether it would be a good or better alternative:

Again, I'd appreciate any input before I commit myself to one or the other - but definitely not both!

Many thanks!

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
JE Made are top quality but harder to get hold of

The two offered by Heinnie look the part but are priced just a little too high for my liking. I'm never sure about blades that have holes in them, either - one of the reasons I've never got on with Spyderco's offerings. Thank you anyway for the suggestion.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
LS Bestman vs Bm Propper.
For an extra £5 you get M390 :red:instead of S30V :yuck:
you get better cutting geometry with a thinner edge and higher grind, and you get titanium bolsters instead of just Micarta scales. Personally I think the radiused liners and spring are a better finish than the Benchmade too.
A friend has the Propper and it’s okay, but didn’t feel amazing, it wasn’t something I felt oozed desirability, unlike the Lion Steel.

Sebc

Oct 31, 2021
Yorkshire
The one I'd love is the lionsteel barlow with the sheepfoot. Looks amazing but you can't seem to get it in the uk.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE