Ricasso...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I could only get the picture to open using my phone, not my computer. The smaller knife quite clearly has a ricasso. It is small, but it is there. The larger knife doesn't look like it does, but the photo could be clearer as there is a shadow right at the crucial place.

I don't think the larger one has one either

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Most knifes on the market are bad designed. Most buyers have no idea how to use a knife, they just think, that it looks cool and so they buy it.

The best bushcraft and survival knives have nearly no ricasso.

Look at the Casström Lars Fält knife, Lars Fält trains the Swedish army and civil clients in Survival.

Look at the Skookum Bush tool. That was the last knife Mors Kochanski used regularly. Mors Kochanski trained the Canadian army and civil clients.

Look at the Mora Garberg, highly recommended by Paul Kirtley and Dave Canterbury, both run well known civil survival and bushcraft schools.

Look at the Fällkniven F1, issued as survival knife by the swedish air force.

Mora Companion and Opinel folding knifes, surely the most sold knifes in the world, have no ricasso, swiss army knifes have a pretty small one and here you can see why: They need it to write the Brand somewhere. The SAK is sold as a camping kitchen multi tool. Not mainly as a carving knife.

I guess the ricasso helps to keep the knife in a kydex sheath or similar constructions. And that's currently in fashion.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
A ricasso has nothing to do with kydex sheath retention. A big choil might, but on knives of the size you are describing (rather than parang and khukri size) the handle is what will give retention.

Reactions: Erbswurst

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I think in the smaller knife in my pic the ricasso is just a way making the fitting of the bolster easier. More than a few of Roselli knives have the edge through the bolster. That UHC blade by the way is a devil to sharper, normal SiC seems to polish it nicely but only diamond bites.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE