Tonight I am mostly drinking............

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Buy a starter kit - makes 40 pints of Woodfordes Wherry and it was the best beer I've had in a long while. Subsequent batches haven't been all that good...

Woodfordes Nog is a really nice kit beer too. I'm on about my 3rd batch of that now. Needs a good 2 months in the bottle though I've found. I was going to start a thread on what beer kits people recommend actually...

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Just enjoying a blast from the past, "Mateus Rose", Very refreshing

:lol:

Black Tower at the weekend then ;)

Funnily enough Madam and I enjoyed a bottle of Mateus a little while ago. We went the whole hog with a prawn cocktail starter followed by steak and chips. 70's food at its best :D

I want to find those bottles of Chianti with the raffia on them so I can make drippy candles like they used to have in the bistros.

Back on topic, tonight I shall mostly be drinking...a couple of bottles of Old Speckled Hen.

gentlemanc

Aug 24, 2010
Southampton, Hampshire
I do not know about tonight but just come back, to work, from a lunch time jollie to the pub were I enjoyed a couple of jars of T.E.A. (brewed by the hogsback brewery) quite nice but not a patch on good old Wherry from the Woodfordes brew house!

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Coopers Traditional Draught on tap at the moment. First shot at it, it's a bit yeastier than I usually go for. Quite close to what my normal recipe generaly turned out like when I was using malt extract and boiling hops(before I discovered the joys of dozens of kits to choose from).

Coopers_Traditional_zps193336d4.jpg

Then it'll be Muntons Smuggler's Reserve(or Somalian Pirate Brew as my mate Craig calls it) Pretty nice dark ale - a touch hoppy for my taste but only a touch and only for the first pint - nothing that's stopped me brewing it for about the fourth time.
...a Tom Caxton Ale to follow. New one I've not tried before.
...and a Cooper's Sparkling Ale to follow that. Lovely pint - closest I've found so far to Deuchars IPA(which I'm rather fond of). The Cooper's Sparkling has become my staple - make it every three or four batches.
[Edit] - that's the order of the batches, not what I'm planning on drinking tonight. :)

Next on the go will be a St Peter's Ruby Ale - another I've never tried but have tried the rest of their range and they were all well tasty.

On the cider side there's just under two gallons of Finlandia left(last brew was just right, this one turned out a little sweet) then there'll be a wee wait until the Black Rock that's in the bin at the moment is ready. Black Rock's not my personal favorite but it's not bad at all and predictable(always dry) at least.
Having said that this one's on it's third week. The other's were all done in two.

Next will be a Muntons Autumn Blush. New one to me - claims to be west country style, not that I know what west country style cider tastes like. Impulse buy last visit to the homebrew shop.

Last edited:

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
You won't be disappointed. I've done a couple of those and they've been very drinkable :rolleyes:

There is something about the all-malt kits. Their IPA was delicious and between a couple of pals coming round and Stuart and I we demolished the best part of the batch in one sitting.

On the cider tonight. No change from last weekend - it's as ready as it's going to get and still too sweet for my taste. (perfectly drinkable though, that one's about gone in the time it took to upload a photo).
Might be my own fault. I recently bumped the priming sugar up from just over 3oz to a full 4oz. The beers have been turning out great but I think this was the first cider after the increase.
...or it might have caught a chill in the bin, have had odd winter brews in the past.

Finlandia_Cider_zps936c056f.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE