Tomahawk or Hatchet ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 29, 2016
Belfast
Hi folks, I am looking some advice in choosing between a Cold Steel Trail Hawk or a Hultafors trekking axe. I like the tomahawk for being lighter and being able to change handle easier and the look to be honest but i have read alot better reviews about the hultafors trekking axe.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Maybe not the answer you are looking for:
I have never owned a tomahawk, but if a tomahawk was more functional then we would not be using axes but tomahawks. Or at least have axes with more tomahawk shape.
Hence me never buying one!

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
The trailhawk is a great tool, but it won't replace an axe. I guess it comes down to what you want to use it for.

Feb 29, 2016
Belfast
Honestly, processing firewood I use a bahco laplander for sawing limbs it would really be for splitting wood but watching some reviews the blade length on the hultafors is longer and a heavier head so i think there would be less work involved in doing that. But knowing this i still can not make my mind up lol

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Then the trail hawk is not the tool for you. Get one for fun, but for a tool, get a proper axe.

Last edited:

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I have both, the trekker is a great piece of kit, I can highly recommend it. The trail hawk I use if going backpacking for a few days, as its lighter & the fact that its a takedown design, allows it to be easily stored in the pack, which is great on commercial sites, & when passing through urban areas.

Rob

Jan 3, 2016
Buckinghamshire
Hatchet/small Axe. All day long. If yer can, save up for the Grunsfors Wildlife-life Hatchet. Hultafors will be fine, for sure, but the Quality of the Grunsfors Axe Bit, the Edge and general build quality... performance to weight ratio is rather bloody good.

Reactions: Brizzlebush

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Get the one you like the look of. :)

Both can chop and break wood apart, the rest is just a ball ache of silly details that aren't important if you like the one you've chosen. If you don't like the one you choose, sell or swap it and get the other one. An axe or tool etc will always be saught after by someone into the same hobbies as yourself.

That's exactly what I've done over the years. Get one in, swap one out etc etc etc. I'd be buried if I kept them all lol. Read the reviews as much as you like, some can be helpful but none compare to your own experience.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE