Today's boot market axe buys

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Today's boot market axe buys are, from back to front in the photo.
1 - Eagle Edge Tools, only needs a little bit of work and a new handle.
2- John Riley, need a bit of re profiling to the pole plus a new handle.
3- No makers name on this one, also needs the pole cleaned up and a new handle.
Looking forward to bringing these back into use. After pictures to follow when the job is done.
Thanks for looking.<br>

Last edited:

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
People still want as much as they can get but some are willing to sell for a couple of pounds, these were more than I normally pay as it was a big market and they were from two tool sellers that would not budge on prices asked, but I like doing them up.
I have already removed the rust and tidied up the poles, now to get a good sharp edge on them and fit new handles, I usually carve them but do have some coming on Wednesday for the two smaller axes, and I have some carved stock handles in the man cave.

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
How do you get rid of the rust Hugo? I am trying to clean up two stained moras (they are more blackened than rusty though) using steel wool and mineral oil, but it is taking a loooong time.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
For your Moras, just use some wet and dry sandpaper, 1000 grit should do it, to get a mirror polish then some 1500 or 2000 grit and then a strop with a piece of leather, don't bother wetting the sandpaper as there is no need.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Thanks Stu mate, I'm just off to the man cave to make them better looking now.

Last edited:

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
For your Moras, just use some wet and dry sandpaper, 1000 grit should do it, to get a mirror polish then some 1500 or 2000 grit and then a strop with a piece of leather, don't bother wetting the sandpaper as there is no need.

Ok, I will try that today, tbh the stain is coming off gradually with the steel wool, just needs a bit of elbow grease.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Thanks Stu mate, I'm just off to the man cave to make them better looking now.

Look forward to seeing them, I just got to helve my two, may do the Elwell 2.5lb Kent Pattern tonight. The John Reiley will have to wait till I made the new Helve for it.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Bit of an update on the Eagle Edge tools axe, just about finished, it cleaned up a treat and takes a good edge and is now very sharp.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Only for a while Stew as I have about 16 at the moment, could be more if I open a few draws, might try it out tomorrow in the woods.

I know the feeling, I keep collecting them now, and as I got a good supply now, which i hope does not dry up, it may get bigger, and I got to find something to do in the spare time :)

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Update on the axe in the foreground with no makers name.
Now finished and is very sharp.
The John Riley axe will need to be heat treated as the steel is way too soft on the cutting edge this will have to wait a while until I get the forge going.
Thanks for looking.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Thanks mate, I do like doing up these old tools, very sharp is this one, I did quite a flat grind on the left hand side hoping it will be like a small side axe.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Last one finished.
The John Riley is now finished and sporting a new handle and is razor sharp.
I have used it today on some dry cherry and dry sycamore and it held it's edge so well pleased.
Ta for looking.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE