To wash or not to wash...that is the question!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
ERMMMMMMMMM I DONT WASH EVER! :yikes:

No, I'm joking but in the field I wash as little as possible.

Three main areas that need attention and should be tended to daily are the armpits, the groin and the hands. All the rest is cosmetic.

Generally on weekenders or short trips I am happy to just use wet wipes with maybe a good scrub in hot water is I get over dirty. On long trips, as well as the funky three, I will have a good wash every third day or so, but here I think clean clothes are just as if not more important.

As long as you keep the groin and armpits clean (and arent wearing synthetic underwear) you will not smell, nor suffer fungal growth ect ect. Also when washing use non scented products are (truely or not) these seem to attract less bugs and beasties.

With regards to washing remember your purified water in your bottle (if treated) with be sterile and can be of use however this is your drinking water so dont waste it needlessly. Some plants contain a nature type of soap and these can be used at a push.

Clean hands ect are advisable and this is good practice when dealing with food, but your body will build up resistance to the more common bugs found in every day dirt ect (not the nasties from game prep ect) - and in many ways building up this resistance is a better option than washing all the time.

Native americans were known to bath in sand! Romans sauna'd and then scrapped their skin to wash. In the snow you can scrrub with snow but persoal hygiene is better (and more comfortable) if left until the evening or just before retiring.

Remember to have a bath on your birthday! :nana:

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Clean water wash where possible and lots and lots of sun and air....seems to keep foot-rott away.

Actually sun and air kill a suprising ammount of nasties....hence we all air our sleeping bags out :eek:):

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Some suggest a rubbing alchohol for feet ive even seen whisky mentioned in a book! :yikes: I find Mycil foot powder the best stuff, and clean your self up upon retiring as Gary says and give your feet a good wipe and a dusting, you can also dust the dangleys with it it hot sweaty conitions to stop the nasty Jock Rot :shock:

jakunen

Native
I'd say it depends on the circumstances.

As Wayne said, for stalking etc. you don't want to be reeking of perfumed soap. For weekend trips I use either non-perfumed wipes or use a bio-soap (but not that horrid coconut stuff you get in army surplus stores).
For longer trips I obviously try to take a bio-shower gel (got some in the States two years ago and can't remember what it was called as I decanted it into a proper bottle).

As for washing your hands, this is very important when you've either been to the toilet or have been handling stuff that may not do you much good, but remember, you need a certain amount of natural bacteria on your skin to help keep you healthy. (just like that cheesy advert for the yoghurt drink).

There is apparently a link between excessive cleansing and Cronin's(?) disease where the body loses its natural bacteria and the immune system get's clobbered by every microbe you then come across.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
jakunen said:
There is apparently a link between excessive cleansing and Cronin's(?) disease where the body loses its natural bacteria and the immune system get's clobbered by every microbe you then come across.

See now this is why we've all missed you Mate....little gems of info here, there and everywhere....

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Andy said:
Gary what do you suggest for feet?

Andy best thing for your feet is to dry em at night, massage them, powder with foot powder and put on dry socks - I always try to sleep bare foot at this lets them breath too.

If your in really wet conditions wear your wrung out wet socks for walking and always keep a dry pair of socks handy for night time wear - remember in bushcraft your feet maybe your only form of transport so take care of them!

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
This lead on to another question. I talc my feet often at the moment but people on here say thats not good. What foot powder is good and low cost. I'm in the uk and just doing normal day to day stuff but do tend to get problems with my feet if I don't look after them.

no jumgle stuff like ZDP :cry:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
I never wash when out and about. Only my hands and head. But as said before there are people who look, when we walk down the train on the journey home from Sweden. :wink: But we're never gonna see them again, so who cares?

I do have a bit of soap in the 1'st aid kit. It's the simplest and best anti-septic one can get. Some use a lot of medicaments, but soap works. :wink:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Andy said:
This lead on to another question. I talc my feet often at the moment but people on here say thats not good. What foot powder is good and low cost. I'm in the uk and just doing normal day to day stuff but do tend to get problems with my feet if I don't look after them.

no jumgle stuff like ZDP :cry:

Andy if you suffer with your feet do as Paganwolf says and rub in surgical spirit or similar - this is an old army trick for thicking the skin ect.

Any old talc usually does - I have to admit I'm not as good to my feet as I should be - but I do suffer from over heating feet (sweaty) so I like to air and massage them often.

Also look at the boots you wear - some boots are good for different types of feet. Army pro boot were a nightmare to me and yet Mountian Pro-tex are a god send.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I tend to agree that keeping ones self clean in certain areas of the body is important no matter what part of the world you are in. But like was previously stated, it depends on where you are as to how it should be carried out.

Myself, I would tend to look to the indigenous peoples to see how they take care of their hygene needs during the course of their everyday lives. I'd also keep in mind that they will probably be immune or resistent to bacteria that would make me ill, so I would take precautions in food handling/prep and water purification.

leon-1

Gary said:
Andy if you suffer with your feet do as Paganwolf says and rub in surgical spirit or similar - this is an old army trick for thicking the skin ect.

Any old talc usually does - I have to admit I'm not as good to my feet as I should be - but I do suffer from over heating feet (sweaty) so I like to air and massage them often.

Also look at the boots you wear - some boots are good for different types of feet. Army pro boot were a nightmare to me and yet Mountian Pro-tex are a god send.

I would be very carefull about using surgical spirit for toughening up the skin on your feet, I too have seen it done in the army and I have also witnessed what happens when said skin splits, it is not nice to behold. This is just a word of caution, but if you do it then don't make it a regular thing.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Using the spirits in a foot soak ie. a basin of hot water so it is diluthed a bit. This really should only be done before an activity to toughen the skin. But regular washing and use of foot powder is the way to go to keep them link that as well as regularly changing your socks twice a day and walking in barefeet as often as possible to let the air at them.

I should really listen to my on advice do :wink:

James

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
RovingArcher said:
Myself, I would tend to look to the indigenous peoples to see how they take care of their hygene needs during the course of their everyday lives. I'd also keep in mind that they will probably be immune or resistent to bacteria that would make me ill, so I would take precautions in food handling/prep and water purification.

Unfortunately we ARE the indigenous people here in the UK

Following the food habits of the majority would leave me going to the chipshop

And then there is this

:yikes:

Tant

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
leon-1 said:
I would be very carefull about using surgical spirit for toughening up the skin on your feet, I too have seen it done in the army and I have also witnessed what happens when said skin splits, it is not nice to behold. This is just a word of caution, but if you do it then don't make it a regular thing.

Yep, I should have pointed that out, although I have never witnessed it myself and dont recall hearing if any cases it does stand to reason that the alcohol in the spirit would dry the skin and cause splitting if grossly over done - Any ho as James points out a foot bath is the best method of soaking in the spirit.

But (and I have done this myself with no detrimental effects - but again use common sense for yourself) even with the spirit rubbed directly onto the foot the effects are not long lasting - skin is shed that what it does.

jakunen

Native
One thing I use occasionally on my feet is Witch Doctor gel (any decent chemists, Boots, Savers).

Its anti-bacterial, nourishes the skin and doesn't dry it out. The do a whoel range of products and I find it great for, not just for my feet, but also for minor burns, stings, bites, sopts, you name it. Raw witchazel spirit will do the same but I do fidn it draws the oils out of the skin (hence why its in a number of acne/black-head products).
I've always got a tube in my tool box, my first aid kit, my pack, the kitchen...

jakunen

Native
No probs James.

I discovered the stuff a few years ago when I was doing some research into herbalism and homeopathy and wished I'd known about it years before.

I'm never without it now and can't recommend it highly enough.

Turns out its even one of the main components of eye washes like Optrex...

nomade

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 8, 2004
Sutton (Surrey, UK)
I haven't read all the posts on this topic yet so it's quite likely I am now going to repeat what someone else has said:

one of the first thing that strikes me when in the outdoors is that you don't need to wash as often as you would when leading our ordinary life (mostly indoors and urban).

Nor do your clothes smell as quicky as they do in indoory life.

It must be because the environment is less polluted but mainly because your body and clothing are aired all the time, which is very hygienic.

I was surprised that Ray Mears in his recent shows stressed the importance of washing so much because I would say you can go without it for awhile (how long would really depend on climate and general conditions).

The very young these days have been made (by the industries selling toiletries) obsessive about washing and over using perfumed products hiding any natural body odour. There was none of that, say, 10 years ago or so. This may explain Ray thought he should reassure them that bushcraft did include regular washing :rolmao: ...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE