To much knifness!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 11, 2006
brecon
about 3 weeks ago i made my first ever knife .... not wanting to sound conceted here i am infact just repeating what the wife said .....still not sure wether i should be happy about it lol QUOTE" looks like we finaly found something your good at"...Hhmmmm
anyway i got the bug bad three weeks after my first one.....

this is the second knife

Picture011-2.jpg

and this is what i finished today
Picture022.jpg

Picture020.jpg

and finaly all three, the product of just over three weeks work

Picture023.jpg

far right is zebrano middle is box burl and walnut oil, and todays is a bone corian jobby all from O1 3 mm tool steel hope you like them i may be taking orders soon at this rate :eek:

Jack_D

May 11, 2009
Midhurst
Hi Lyndon - great looking knifes, have you semi sharpened the back edge of the bone handled clip? its difficult to see from the photos.

Cheers

Jon

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Great work, top job! I wish my first three were that nice! Nice high bevels on your second attempt and they're all tidy as well.goodjob Did you make a bevel jig, do it by hand or use a belt grinder?

Jan 11, 2006
brecon
thanks gents great encouragment to do more and better that :)
to answer the questions ...all the steel is 3mm O1 tool steel from cromwells
heat treat is in the forge//BBQ with the air bed inflator till non magnetic quench in engine oil (hence the bubble marks on the blade of the middle one, wich i like thinner oil or pre quenching to raise the temp results in fewer or no bubble marks like the first one in zebrano handles) then 1 hour at 200 degrees in an oven.
finally the clip of the bone corian handled one is chamfered on both sides of the clip point but not sharp, you can still use it as a rest for makeing feather sticks etc.
the zebrano one is now my user and i turned a hardwood pallet in to feather sticks 2 days ago, yep all of it and it still takes shavings off papper at the end so im confident of the heat treat so far.

zorro

Nomad
Jun 6, 2009
Chesterfield UK
finally the clip of the bone corian handled one is chamfered on both sides of the clip point but not sharp, you can still use it as a rest for makeing feather sticks etc.

I do like to see a false edge on a clip point, I think the idea is to allow easier penetration of the tip of the blade, but it is also aesthetically very pleasing to my eyes. :)

Keep up the good work chap, you're off to a flying start with those beauties. goodjob

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
thanks gents great encouragment to do more and better that :)
to answer the questions ...all the steel is 3mm O1 tool steel from cromwells
heat treat is in the forge//BBQ with the air bed inflator till non magnetic quench in engine oil (hence the bubble marks on the blade of the middle one, wich i like thinner oil or pre quenching to raise the temp results in fewer or no bubble marks like the first one in zebrano handles) then 1 hour at 200 degrees in an oven.
the zebrano one is now my user and i turned a hardwood pallet in to feather sticks 2 days ago, yep all of it and it still takes shavings off papper at the end so im confident of the heat treat so far.

I reckon, judging by what you have said that your blade will be around 60 rockwell. Great for holding an edge, bit tougher for sharpening, Watch out for chips though.

Jan 11, 2006
brecon
I reckon, judging by what you have said that your blade will be around 60 rockwell. Great for holding an edge, bit tougher for sharpening, Watch out for chips though.

you may be right there just taken me about 3 hours to put the micro bevel on the white one with a lansky set and a strop 30% should hold for ages .
half of that may just be me being a bit to fussy though.
i followed the techniqe to give me 57-58 RC ide still be happy with 60 though i experimented with an old file i didnt temper after 2 days i gave up trying to sharpen it by hand :lmao: i was getting micro chips (not the electrical kind) splitting off the edge with a stone at least it proved the first part of my HT was working.:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE