Titanium Spork?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spork and Titanium Spork

• Have a plastic one

Votes: 101 33.7%
  • Have a titanium one

Votes: 74 24.7%
  • Have Both

Votes: 52 17.3%
  • Sorry, they're in the 'pointless gadget' category for me.

Votes: 52 17.3%
  • KFS sets all the way

Votes: 16 5.3%
  • Whats a Sprok??

Votes: 5 1.7%

• Total voters

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
If you have so much common sense, why can't you make enough money to buy a spork?

I have. A plastic one.
I assume you would agree that a dime is not a lot of money. But would you pay a dime for a grain of rice? Of course not. And I won't waste £12 on a spork. Whether it's titanium, gold or unicorn horn.
Well, maybe if it was gold. But only to flog it. You get the idea.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Hey Durulz,Well handled.I find oblio13's remark a little offensive.We all enjoy a heated debate but I think he's overstepped the mark there.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
When I was in the mood to buy myself a present, it was a choice betwen a lump of plastic or a lump of metal, so I have a titaninm. Mind you when no ones looking I dont use either, just rip the rat pack open, hold to mouth and tip ...

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I hear what you say, but there is a another option, a simple household fork . . or a spoon or both, costing pennies or nothing! (or John Fennas lovely carved wooden creation)

If youre a die-hard ultralighter, then the grammes saved might be worth paying the high prices, but when i read recommended kit posts, weight never seems to be of any real importance. Everybody recommends sabre rucksacks, but they easily weigh 2lb more than a golite. But mention a titanium spork, or a snow peak 50 quid mug, and suddenly titaniums worth the silly money cos it saves 50 grammes. Its like eating four big macs and then insisting on drinking a diet coke cos youre on a diet, except in this case, the diet coke costs 10 times the price. :rolleyes:

Spot on ST, a spork is a compromise, neither a real spoon or a real fork, why not just take a real spoon and fork?

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Just wait, there will probably be a carbon fibre spork on sale soon.........for those that can't deal with the weight of titanium! (o:

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
Just can't sit on my hands any longer.

Yes, titanium sporks are frippery. I know, I have one (either the Alpkit Tifoon or something very similar). It's great, otherworldly light, tough, light and shiny. Pointless. Not much lighter than plastic, really.

One of my LMF sporks broke. Don't know how, just picked it up to use it and it flopped in half. I've done unkind things to the Ti one and it's fine. I have also burred up a bit of the handle so it will fire up a ferroricium rod, can't do that with a placcy or wooden one can you! Like any of us needs another place to get a spark from.

One of my little ideas that remains unrealised is a carbon fibre 'racing' spoon. Turned aluminum plug, carbon fibre tube handle and machined aluminiun bowl. Carbon fibre left naked, ally parts anodised British Racing Green. I have no need for such a thing, just want to make one.

:p

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Just can't sit on my hands any longer.

Yes, titanium sporks are frippery.

I've done unkind things to the Ti one and it's fine. I have also burred up a bit of the handle so it will fire up a ferroricium rod, can't do that with a placcy or wooden one can you!

:p

Ferro rods? Another frippery! To go with my wooden Spork I use a propper home made flint and steel set! Lets get Bushcrafty!:cool: :D

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
John ,we can settle this debate this weekend(which is best,titanium or wooden spork)We'll have a race ,See who can polish off a bowl of stew the quickest using his chosen weapon,No slurping from the bowl,sporks only.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
OK - but we start with raw materials - I will have a lump of wood and a knife you can have ore and a fire......ready lit but lit with a bow drill or flint and steel!:D

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Wow.. Over a hundred posts about Sporks.

I have a folding spoon that happens to be made of titanium.

I got it because at the time it was the only one I could find that would fit inside my hobo set.

It's not about weight or strength for me but just function and packability.

If you have the money, it's up to you what you spend it on at the end of the day.

This seems to be one of those bushcraftier than thou type threads and it's just a spork when all is said and done. :dunno:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Just spent the w/e on a meet with Sapper of the Titanium Spork.
Damn me if his Titanium Spork did not get food from his bowl to his mouth just as well as my hand crafted wooden one got food from my bowl to my mouth!
:D

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I also aquired a wooden spoon ,hand carved by Onnen.
Now I can argue from both sides of the fence.
And eat with a utensil in each hand

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE