Titanium Mug

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I've put this in Kit as it's more of a heads up for the mug, than info on the stove and windshield.

I was tipped off about this titanium mug on BB (Thanks Beamdune). Seemed like a good price to me - £15 delivered. I ordered and it came in a couple of days. Others have reported next day delivery, so service seems pretty good.

I made a Super Cat alcohol stove with a Sgt Rock Windscreen to acompany mine.

At yesterdays Tesco prices, the stove cost £0.29 (Hi-Life Turkey and Giblets) and the windscreen £0.41 (Tesco value oval foil platters, £1.24 for 3).

cat_stove.jpg

I've made the windscreen a more snug fit since that photo, and it now boils 0.5L of water in about 7 mins.
The windscreen fits inside the cup in the tiny gap between cup and 1.0L nalgene bottle.

The mugs are good, they get my :35: The handles are very secure (fairly stiff) and don't rattle about like they seem to on my crusader.

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
I've had one for a while now as well and they definitely get a thumbs-up from me. Really good price for a sturdy and very useful bit of kit. I like what you've done with the windscreen etc -- nice work.

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
I've been thinking that I want a steel mug for drinking and light weight cooking, and I wanted that exact pattern: folding handles, lid, and sized to fit a nalgene bottle.

Maybe I should get one of these, but for comparison's sake, who knows a steel mug that's similar? You see steel mugs around and about for peanuts, but always too small for cooking. One like that wouldn't be too heavy, and would be cheaper than a crusader.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
That's a great looking setup scanker :)

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of using titanium for cooking. It's bloody light but has really poor heat conduction.

Oh well, we can't always have the best of both worlds. I think a lot of times a compromise is what we have to settle for. Regardless, it's a nice looking setup.

Cheers,

Adam

beamdune

Oct 14, 2005
Manchester
GSI make something similar (ish), the Alpine bottle cup (single walled stainless steel) - I got 2 from the US via ebay. I have seen them on one online army suplus shop - can't remember the name though, sorry. Would be willing to part with one (brand new with the label on) for £5 plus postage.

It is sized to fit a nalgene bottle and has long fold out handles - much longer than the alpkit ti mug. However, it it a fair bit smaller (just over 0.5l volume) and doesn't have a lid.

Jul 30, 2006
Sunny Bournemouth
The MSR one i've seen is made of titanium and the mug doubles up as a kettle (it has a small hole in the top - i assume it whistles. The handles fold flat against it.

it looked nice and if i was only ever brewing for one, i'd get it!

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
I've seen Staples selling stainless steel desktop bins (a miniature bin with a removable hemispherical flip top lid). I think it cost me a couple of quid. It was about 15cm tall without the lid and less than 10cm diameter.

Okay so the lid is probably useless but a cook pot for a couple of notes isn't bad. Those on an extreme budget might consider it (I must confess mine is filled with dead batteries - I haven't tested the theory).

beamdune

Oct 14, 2005
Manchester
scanker said:
I made a Super Cat alcohol stove with a Sgt Rock Windscreen to acompany mine.

At yesterdays Tesco prices, the stove cost £0.29 (Hi-Life Turkey and Giblets) and the windscreen £0.41 (Tesco value oval foil platters, £1.24 for 3).

What did you use to make the holes in your supercat? Just wondered if you'd found a suitably sized punch. I made one a while ago and tried to drill the holes but the aluminium is very thin so it was difficult to avoid buckling the can. Tried a cheapy single whole punch (the one's shaped liked pliers) from a stationery shop but it caught on the lip of the can and I managed to break it.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I've am going to make one as soon as I get hold of one of the cat food tins. I have an awl to use to make the holes.

Similar to this:

awl.jpg

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I used a 4mm drill for the supercat, but the holes needed filing. I've since made a Simplified Zen Alcohol Sideburner stove and I think it's far better. It needs a primer pan, but I'm just using a baked bean lid for that. It seems to burn hotter and faster than the supercat, but more efficient on fuel. I used a 1mm drill to make the 20 burner holes for this stove.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Well I managed to make my Super cat without to much hassle.

The only thing I had problems with was that my pliers were not curved so were crushing the can when I was trying to flaten the hole burs. So instead I improvised and used the pliers as a hammer to flatten the burs.

stovenb3.jpg

The Simplified Zen Alcohol Sideburner looks a little more involved, I may give it a go when I move to my new place.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Scanker did you use the Tesco Oval platter plate for your windshield ?

As I went to buy one from Tesco and it had a inscribed pattern on it, plus it didn't look wide enough to get the entire windshield cut out of it. In the end I bought some disposable roasting trays instead, only £1.79 so still a bargain.

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
The roasting trays sound interesting, but yes I used the oval platters. You can't see the pattern in the photograph but it's there. I cut the windshield out from the middle section and unrolled the edges to get it slightly longer. What size are the roasting trays?

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I havn't actually got access to them at the moment but I'd say they were slightly longer than the platters but a rectangle shape instead of an oval, if that makes sense?

I haven't had a chance to check the thickness yet but it seems like it'll be ok.

Edit.

Couldn't find it on Tescos website but I did find these, which seem to be better:

http://www.tesco.com/superstore/xpi/7/xpi51593037.htm

You may have to log on to their site to access the link?

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Heeheee - spotted these months ago, just ordered one and a Tifoon (spork ?) to take to Norway in a couple of weeks. I have an tiny optimus gas stove that will fit inside I think, and a "tin Tea wannigan" containing my brew kit. Hey presto an instant brew solution :D

Cheers
Rich

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE