Titanium mugs, and problems thereof

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
2 things of like to see made... An exact copy of the Crusader mug but in titanium and for the house a ceramic version for a massive cup of tea you sometimes need.

I've found the old style US Army style folding handles to be good for Radiant heat when facing away from the fire.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I used to have "camp gloves", very cheap ones that would take the damage, they usually lasted for about a year.

When I have the firebowl set up, with the racks and cast iron stuff, then I do have gloves that I keep at hand.....I found a really small set of welder's gauntlets that are excellent.
I ruined good gloves enough that something like this is ideal.

When just setting up for a brew, or a quick meal though, with just the hobo stove or the like, the less to carry the better.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
2 things of like to see made... An exact copy of the Crusader mug but in titanium and for the house a ceramic version for a massive cup of tea you sometimes need.

I've found the old style US Army style folding handles to be good for Radiant heat when facing away from the fire.

I can't help with the Ti version, but for a huge cup at home you could maybe have a search for a microwave cake mug or one of the pint sized coffee ones...

1656322212293.png

Winnet

Forager
Oct 5, 2011
Aberdeen
@SaraR

It'd just be more hassle. The springs I have on it work, but they're metal and they do heat up too. No where near as hot as the Titanium though.
I have an interesting selection of ideas for new covers to try though :)

M
I have used a couple of bits of heatshrink to cover the handles with. A cheap version of the silicon one shown further up.

G

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Toddy

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
@SaraR

It'd just be more hassle. The springs I have on it work, but they're metal and they do heat up too. No where near as hot as the Titanium though.
I have an interesting selection of ideas for new covers to try though :)

M
I've only got one, fairly new titanium mug, so I don't have that much experience of them (I've got plenty of other things titanium, just not mugs!), but for this one I got some sort of lip guard made out of silicon that slips on. I guess you'd need to take it off if you were to use it over big flames, but it slips on very easily. Something similar, like split tubing or even a thicker silicon spring that you could wrap around the handle/handles would probably work.

I've got sensitive hands, so I need something to grab metal handles on kettles and the like anyway, so I tend to bring a small rag or something that gets used for all sorts of things including as a pot holder.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
Wish they'd just put a thicker bottom on Ti stuff. It'd still be lighter than steel.

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
Titanium is good for boiling and nowt else I have had to pans they don't heat evenly so ain't great for cooking but I have kept my 750ml mug for drinking and heating water

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Not a solution but I have tried titanium countless times because everyone uses one? And end up back with my crusader, it’s still not that heavy but so useful in size and because of its strength and reliable.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
By numbers the thermal conductance of Ti is very close to SS. My next guess for the apparent difference is wall thickness. Has anyone happened to measure that on a SS cup that behaves and Ti one that misbehaves?

Both have a protective oxide layer so not much difference there either.

Murf

Feb 18, 2022
Lancs
I'm out for a few nights as we speak and what you see is all I've got. A Ti bale handle pot for fast boiling water (I've knocked up a slot in handle for pouring as Ti gets hot all over quickly) and then all other cooking no matter what is done in my aluminium skillet. It's got a steel handle that also gets hot so I wrapped that in para cord. Drinking wise, I use a simple plastic mug. Its light weight and clean and I never gets too hot to drink from.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220726-161844_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220726-161844_Gallery.jpg
    312.3 KB · Views: 12

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
I have a titanium mug like the one above, with a bail arm.
When I use it I have the bail arm raised, so it doesn't get hot and can be lifted off the stove (the handles are a bit short, and do get too hot. I agree with the above - if someone makes a Ti Crusader mug then I'll be all over it). Like this:
52242938216_bf88838156_w.jpg

I've never got the 'burn your lips on the mug' claim.
You see, such is the laws of thermodynamics, that the mug can not be hotter than the contents. So if it's too hot to put your lips on then it's too hot to swallow without scalding yourself, no matter how hot you like your tea.
In fact, I find the rim cools down fairly quickly on Ti (due to the thinness of the wall), especially the bit that's above the liquid.
It's a problem I've just never encountered. Of course, it depends on how hot you like to drink your tea (I like warm rather than hotter than the centre of the Sun), but I still maintain that if you can't put your lips to the...er...lip, then you can't drink it without taking the lining off your throat.
It becomes a thermometer.
Yeah, just never got that claim.
Like others, all I do is heat water/soup/sloppy things in it.

But if anyone is reading this who wants to make a bit of money, then a Ti Crusader mug would be a cracking idea...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I can't say I've ever burnt my lips on the mug rim, but holding it's a pain at times.
We've been clearing out cupboards and stored stuff this past month (it is unbelievable just how much stuff we can accumulate !) and I found the woollen cosy I made for the mug from my Swiss army set up.....and it occurs to me that it's not beyond mortal wit to make one for the Ti mug too. There's a peaceful kind of comfort from holding something warm in your hands on a cold day :)
The wool does insulate the mug, but heat does gently seep through. So, no burnt hands but warm ones, iimmc :)

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Well, yes - getting it off the stove without burning your fingers is a thing.
Still can't work out why they put such short handles on them when the Crusader mug has nice big ones.
This is why I bought one with a bail arm - I can take it off the stove safely enough, and if the bail arm has been heated by big flames then a stick can be used to hook it off. And just leave it for a few moments for the handle to cool down and you can pick it up and cradle it in your mits to keep them all toasty.
Getting one with a bail arm is the answer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE