Titanium Vs aluminium Vs the environment

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
There seems to me there's lots of titanium pot choices on the market these days but to be honest having tried a few the only thing I like about them is the weight saving , I've found that there not a good conducted of heat and burn most of anything cooked in them compared to aluminium which seems to still be the best for cooking .
Another factor in all this besides there use is the shear distance these have travelled on the most polluting form of transport there is .
I always try to find items at least made in the EU ,I know it still has to get here by road or local shore line shipping but hopefully not emitting as much pollution.
Am not quite sure where this is going now so does anyone know local made products

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
Interesting question. I would be surprised if anything is manufactured in the UK/EU (Trangia??). If they are then the materials are probably made further away anyway or they are ‘rebadged’ as EU/UK because they add a handle or box them up.

Could you buy second hand pots which would at least mean you are not adding to the importation miles and maybe preventing landfill?

Reactions: walker

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
Excellent sets I love em , I have the 27 duossal with gas burner, kettle and 2.5 Billy along with canvas storage bags from kerno bushcraft

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I'm not sure that aluminium will have travelled significantly less distance has it?
Bauxite being Aluminium ore and Rutile being Titanium ore.
Bauxite coming from Africa, South America, India, China and mostly Australia.
Rutile coming from Africa, South America, India, Madagascar and mostly Australia. One I thought had a lot of ore was Russia but it turnes out that its from Ukraine, Mmmm.... interesting.

Then theres where its made, is it better to process it where the ore is to a metal or ship it to another country? Lot of shipping Co2 production for ore versus far less for the metal.
Co2 production per tonne being about 4 tonnes of Co2 per tonne of Aluminium if its hydro electricity and about 25 tonnes if that power uses coal to make it. I can't find figures for Titanium.

Whichever way to look at it, it's mostly coming from Australia.
I'm not 100% convinced the less shipping argument holds water but if you prefer aluminium then have at it.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Ahh, found it. From the ores and not counting scrap melted into the pot.
Per kilo.
Aluminum (from bauxite): 227-342MJ (63,000 to 95,000 watt-hours)

Titanium, uses a LOT more so it would seem that I'm wrong. Nevermind, there's a first time for everything I guess :)

Titanium (from ore concentrate): 900-940MJ (250,000 to 261,000 watt-hours)

• Wow
Reactions: FerlasDave

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
I was involved in the Redwood Summer protests and bought Julia Butterfly’s sleeping bag. I had Sonoma State college Earth Mothers ( dreadlocks, braided armpit hair, patchouli oil bought in 55 Gallon drums) scream like Mozart’s Queen of the night because My donated organic, vegan soup came in a virgin, waxed paper carton and not recycled.
It’s good to be aware of your consumer ethics. But sometimes it’s best to buy the damn thing ONCE, cry over the price ONCE and use it for a lifetime and pass by it on.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE