Tipi and stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
Evening
This has been asked a few times I'm sure . I'm looking to buy the above . I've been taken with the bergens 6 to 8 man and frontier stove . I would welcome any opinions and advice or reasonable priced alternatives.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hiya,

I have the Tentip Onyx 7 and there's loads of space with the 4.5m dia and 2.7m height. Remember you have sloping walls though. Seems daft to say but you need to take it into account. I only bought the outer and floor. Have never felt the need to even consider the inner and have only used the floor once (when I bought it). Loads of living and storage space - I've even sinned against my camping roots and bought a folding bed to put in as with a hip needing fixed I was having trouble getting up off of the floor. Can adjust the vent cap from inside or out. Usually use it as a living space for me and my mate and sleeping for me. (He has a lovely bell tent but you cant stand up fully in it). Inside mine there's usually the bed left up (doubles as a bench seat) a big camp table for food prep and gear, stored gear, the Frontier stove, wood pile and two chairs. (It's a real basecamp set up - still have the mountain tents). So saying it sheds the wind and weather really well. Being a classic inverted cone the wind goes round it and there is no flapping. Water also just rolls off. The Cotpolmex C. material is breathable and very strong condensation hasn't been a problem - though the good vent cap, door vent and being sans floor helps here.

As mentioned I've got a frontier stove in there (installing the vent for the flashing and so cutting the fabric was a bit nerve racking on a new tent but was done and dusted very quickly.) The stove itself is very much worth the money. With a bit of play it can become very efficient with the right fuel, though if using predominantly soft woods the chimney needs swept ever four days or so. Usually a big copper kettle living on top for brews and washing water and it a nice height to cook on even while sitting down. My big Dutchy still fits it. Only modification so far is my mate got a witches/chinamans hat made for the chimney as it helped with any possible backdraft that could be caused. Inside at night can either use the big pressure lanterns though they can be a bit bright so usually stick to tealight holders on hanging chains, though did use an LED balloon for a few days and have thought of a solar light. Also goes up in 5 mins as it's only one pole.

Drawbacks: Well if your anywhere with the general public about be prepared to sell tickets as everyone wants to see inside, especially when smoke is coming out of the chimney - though it's fun. And make sure you have space to dry the sucker. It's huge to spread around the house if you come home after a rainy week.

Was it worth the money: YES, great big lump of fun. Great for winter and glamping. Coming down the hill on a wet cold day to see smoke coming from the damped stove and knowing you'll have a hot brew in a warm tent very shortly is worth it enough. Great for bad weather trips and making plans as you can sort your gear and selves out in the dry out of the wind. Have had it up in mates gardens at BBQ's as a shelter and party space for the kids. (And it looks rather fetching with my Tibetan prayer flags strung from the pole tip).

It's worth looking at some of the bell tents too as the straight walls make use of space easier!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Sorry pictures for you:

S7300270.JPG

Before fitting witches hat on chimney.
P290412_06.10.jpg

Assembly before fitting chimney flashing.
Kettle.jpg

Brew on
P020812_08.18.jpg

Chimney flashing and hat fitted.
P010513_17.41_%255B01%255D.jpg

Hanging lights and vent open.
2013-04-30%252019.48.39.jpg

Belzeebob and I's tents up at Comrie Croft.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hi GB, WARNING!! Thread hijack about to take place, i have been offered 4 of the very same tentipis, for £300.00 each, BUT! they have been erected for about 12 months and smell all fusty, are mouldy and generally looking in a sorry state.No rips or tears, but appear to leak.They have been erected on wooden floors.

Are they worth the money? Can they be washed? Reproofed? And how much would said excersise cost ish? Just wondering whether it's worth the hassle, i don't have to buy all 4, and one has a knackered zip, i can buy that one for £150.00.

I an sorely tempted, but you usually put me straight, when i am going off the rails!

Many thanks.

Ivan..

I can get to them for pics, later if it helps.

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
Thanks gb
I think I need to see a few up for real .only mentioned the bergen as that's the only one vive seen up.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Me And my dad have the Tentipi Safir 5cp and its unbelievably brilliant! We have the Fronteir stove in ours too, with a water jacket and a spark arrestor. We were going to buy one of Tentipis own branded Eldfell stoves but they were to big for the five man and pretty expensive too. We have the Pro Floor and no inner, you don't need an inner in my opinion (with these Tipis).

For the stove fitting on ours we brought it straight out the top and used a mesh wire rude to protect the fabric.

Goatboy had some great photos but if you need any more ill try and find some :).

Ours is surprising packable too, our tipi and stove would fill around a 70l dry bag and I'm not sure on the weight. We take ours in the canoe and its brilliant!

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi GB, WARNING!! Thread hijack about to take place, i have been offered 4 of the very same tentipis, for £300.00 each, BUT! they have been erected for about 12 months and smell all fusty, are mouldy and generally looking in a sorry state.No rips or tears, but appear to leak.They have been erected on wooden floors.

Are they worth the money? Can they be washed? Reproofed? And how much would said excersise cost ish? Just wondering whether it's worth the hassle, i don't have to buy all 4, and one has a knackered zip, i can buy that one for £150.00.

I an sorely tempted, but you usually put me straight, when i am going off the rails!

Many thanks.

Ivan..

I can get to them for pics, later if it helps.

I don't mind and the information may be useful to Adestu (I hope, apologies' if not).

Sounds like they've been up on a site like the old ones at Comrie Croft. They used to replace theirs every couple of years.

The problems with permanent errection are that as it's a cotton based material it will get wet; when it does it stretches slightly so customers may they go around and tighten the guy lines - but they the tent dries and shrinks back (all minutely). It is then tight as a drum and unless released will put undue pressure on the guy points and stitching. So pop them up and have a look at the stitching, it should be tight - though you could silicone the stitching if its not.

Canvas rots, shouldn't be a prob if they were left up as the air would have dried them. Your main prob is likely to be UV damage. Where were they? In the open, the woods, high up? Once UV damage occurs in fabric there's nowt you can do to fix it. Again pop them up and look at the fabric, the slightly rougher texture will hopefully mean stronger fabric that hasn't broken down, and as long as they've not been at altitude for a year where the thin air doesn't filter out UV they should be good. Also look for mould, some mould discolouration will have set in, but go for the ones with as little as possible.

I'd put the ones you buy up, give them a scrub with a pure soap and a bristle brush then use Nikwax Tent & UV Proof and apply while the tent is WET - works much better. This will also help your tent have a longer life.

Do the usual tyre kicking stuff of checking for fag/fire burns, burst guy/peg points etc. Take it they wont have floors if they've been on a dias? I bought the zip back one when I bought the tent but never use it. Spruce boughs in winter (or muddy summer) or just bare floor. Actually found the grass is usually healthier where the tent has been as it acts like a greenhouse and there's a circle of healthy stuff where I've been and pale yellow where everyone else has been.

Worth the money: OH YES, love it - I baulked when I bought it new, but it's a great living and admin space in bad weather and will last many years. One of the guys from Nordic Outdoor lived in his for a year and a half and loved it. He had a different stove but I'm a canny east coaster and bought the Frontier which is better value to my mind.

If either of you need any more info just ask and I'll see what I can rustle up.

ATB,
Colin.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Thanks Colin, as usual a sensible answer, i am going up to have another proper look, and take some pics, i might have a go at the knackered zip one for £150.00, shame really just leaving them out, oh yeah they have been in a field, so the uv thing will probably be an issue.

Also, probably wrong, but if anyone else is interested in one, after looking at pics, if they think, one of them might be useful to them, i will put something up in the for sale area, as i don't think i need 4!!

Thanks mate.

Ivan...

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Thanks Colin, as usual a sensible answer, i am going up to have another proper look, and take some pics, i might have a go at the knackered zip one for £150.00, shame really just leaving them out, oh yeah they have been in a field, so the uv thing will probably be an issue.

Also, probably wrong, but if anyone else is interested in one, after looking at pics, if they think, one of them might be useful to them, i will put something up in the for sale area, as i don't think i need 4!!

Thanks mate.

Ivan...

It 's easier for the sights to attatch them to a wooden floor and just leave them up. Just making sure the guys aren't too tigh would lengthen their life on a site by a long chalk. Comrie Croft have designed new ones for themselves made out of lorry curtainside material - real bombproof stuff but they're no longer useful as portable tents then.

There's a lot of stitching through heavy material on a zip, but as your thinking goes it's then less likely to have been used as much. The musty smell get's in all stored canvas I think? A good air and check for mildew/mould, gotta be bone dry before storage. Are they leaking through the seams or fabric? The Nicwax should cure it, but any stitch gapes and I'd go down the seam seal route.

Colin.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Evening
This has been asked a few times I'm sure . I'm looking to buy the above . I've been taken with the bergens 6 to 8 man and frontier stove . I would welcome any opinions and advice or reasonable priced alternatives.

I've had a few Tipi / stove pairings, and what you've gotta ask yourself, is does the combination Im buying fit in with the rest of the system Im using.

Whats my mode of transport?

What will I want it to fit into?

My rucksack? My Canoe? My sled? Or mostly, in my car?

How much time will it be used family camping? How much time will it be used solo?

Will you want a groundsheet? Why? To stop creepy crawlies entering?

On designated sites, or wild camping? What size footprint is suitable for where you'll be going?

What season will you be going camping in? Which countries? In the UK mainly?

How hard will it be to find a dry pitch? Do you have kids?

Will you mind a soaking wet floor? Is a detachable groundsheet an option? Will it work in the conditions Im using it in?

Di want an Inner tent? Whats my budget?

What will you be using it in conjunction with? A camp bed? Bivy bags?

Based upon the answers to some of those questions, I'd be ruling out some of the tipi's, and including some others on the shortlist.

As far as the stove is concerned. Im not a huge fan of the frontier stove. For various reasons.

As above though, what will that be used for? Drying out moisture in clothes? Or Frost?

Cooking? How long will you want it to burn for unaided? Is it the right size for the tent? Consider carbon monoxide. Is there a venting system on the tipi?

etc etc.

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Me And my dad have the Tentipi Safir 5cp and its unbelievably brilliant! We have the Fronteir stove in ours too, with a water jacket and a spark arrestor. We were going to buy one of Tentipis own branded Eldfell stoves but they were to big for the five man and pretty expensive too. We have the Pro Floor and no inner, you don't need an inner in my opinion (with these Tipis).

For the stove fitting on ours we brought it straight out the top and used a mesh wire rude to protect the fabric.

Goatboy had some great photos but if you need any more ill try and find some :).

Ours is surprising packable too, our tipi and stove would fill around a 70l dry bag and I'm not sure on the weight. We take ours in the canoe and its brilliant!

Hope this helps!

Here is a photo of mine in the snow!

Not as good as goatboys pictures but it gives you an idea:

image_zps022afbdc.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
Thanks guys
I think I need to sit down an think of what I'm going to use it for.
Mainly out of the car but able to use on meets with a short walk in . I haven't ruled out canoe camping either when I finally get a canoe and somewhere to store it.
Stove would be for warmth drying and cooking
Mainly just me in it but more than likely 2 .I like room to spread out.

Orchard

Forager
Dec 17, 2013
Abergavenny
Thanks guys
I think I need to sit down an think of what I'm going to use it for.
Mainly out of the car but able to use on meets with a short walk in . I haven't ruled out canoe camping either when I finally get a canoe and somewhere to store it.
Stove would be for warmth drying and cooking
Mainly just me in it but more than likely 2 .I like room to spread out.

Hello chaps :)

What did you go for in the end Adestu ?

Any joy with the second-hand Tentipi's Ivan ?

I'm also mulling over which way to go with these, and we've started saving up for a Tentipi Safir 9cp, pro groundsheet, and stove (not sure which yet), for future versatility.
Usage: Two adults and a two year old, car based, UK 2/3 season only initially.

I reckon we'd need a large one if we're going to accommodate a woodburner (with guard etc) and have shelter/space to play when needed.
What i'd like to know please, is generally how much smoke's released into the tent via the stoves, as this is critical regarding our choice because our daughter may have asthma ? Would a Windy Smithy one be better than Frontier or Eldfell Pro/Helsport/Kifaru type because it seals better ?

Any advice appreciated please :)

Nick

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
just a couple of questions regarding the floor - what are the advantages of not having one? is a canvas groundsheet waterproof? i've been out quite a few times when theres been water running under the tent and the bathtub style groundsheet has saved the day. so what happens in a canvas one? the one i was looking at was the soulpad with the integrated floor.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
just a couple of questions regarding the floor - what are the advantages of not having one? is a canvas groundsheet waterproof? i've been out quite a few times when theres been water running under the tent and the bathtub style groundsheet has saved the day. so what happens in a canvas one? the one i was looking at was the soulpad with the integrated floor.

I think it's a PVC floor in the Soulpads

Orchard

Forager
Dec 17, 2013
Abergavenny

If you're happy being clear of the floor, one can save cash (significant with Tentipi), weight, and, depending on design, have an open fire.
That's my inexperienced take on it mate.

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
thanks for the info - in my new camping fantasy i have the stove and its snowing outside. reckon when ive saved up i'll go for the groundsheet

Orchard

Forager
Dec 17, 2013
Abergavenny
thanks for the info - in my new camping fantasy i have the stove and its snowing outside. reckon when ive saved up i'll go for the groundsheet

Obviously, i'm not sure what you're looking for, but Helsport have some well thought of solutions, with an exped lavvu with a sewn in groundsheet that may be worth your while looking at :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Hiya,

I have the Tentip Onyx 7 and there's loads of space with the 4.5m dia and 2.7m height. Remember you have sloping walls though. Seems daft to say but you need to take it into account. I only bought the outer and floor. Have never felt the need to even consider the inner and have only used the floor once (when I bought it). Loads of living and storage space - I've even sinned against my camping roots and bought a folding bed to put in as with a hip needing fixed I was having trouble getting up off of the floor. Can adjust the vent cap from inside or out. Usually use it as a living space for me and my mate and sleeping for me. (He has a lovely bell tent but you cant stand up fully in it). Inside mine there's usually the bed left up (doubles as a bench seat) a big camp table for food prep and gear, stored gear, the Frontier stove, wood pile and two chairs. (It's a real basecamp set up - still have the mountain tents). So saying it sheds the wind and weather really well. Being a classic inverted cone the wind goes round it and there is no flapping. Water also just rolls off. The Cotpolmex C. material is breathable and very strong condensation hasn't been a problem - though the good vent cap, door vent and being sans floor helps here.

As mentioned I've got a frontier stove in there (installing the vent for the flashing and so cutting the fabric was a bit nerve racking on a new tent but was done and dusted very quickly.) The stove itself is very much worth the money. With a bit of play it can become very efficient with the right fuel, though if using predominantly soft woods the chimney needs swept ever four days or so. Usually a big copper kettle living on top for brews and washing water and it a nice height to cook on even while sitting down. My big Dutchy still fits it. Only modification so far is my mate got a witches/chinamans hat made for the chimney as it helped with any possible backdraft that could be caused. Inside at night can either use the big pressure lanterns though they can be a bit bright so usually stick to tealight holders on hanging chains, though did use an LED balloon for a few days and have thought of a solar light. Also goes up in 5 mins as it's only one pole.

Drawbacks: Well if your anywhere with the general public about be prepared to sell tickets as everyone wants to see inside, especially when smoke is coming out of the chimney - though it's fun. And make sure you have space to dry the sucker. It's huge to spread around the house if you come home after a rainy week.

Was it worth the money: YES, great big lump of fun. Great for winter and glamping. Coming down the hill on a wet cold day to see smoke coming from the damped stove and knowing you'll have a hot brew in a warm tent very shortly is worth it enough. Great for bad weather trips and making plans as you can sort your gear and selves out in the dry out of the wind. Have had it up in mates gardens at BBQ's as a shelter and party space for the kids. (And it looks rather fetching with my Tibetan prayer flags strung from the pole tip).

It's worth looking at some of the bell tents too as the straight walls make use of space easier!

Bloody hippy.

Jjessup

May 15, 2013
Essex
I bought a bell tent from canvastentshop.co.uk a couple of years back. It's a great bit of kit with loads of room. I added the frontier stove with the flashing too. Would definitely recommend both. Although at around 28kg for the 4m it's not a backpacking tent!

One possible mony saving tip. Instead of buying a bespoke spark arrestor I made one out of a bird peanut feeder, a small metal dog bowl and a couple of tent pegs. Total cost, about a fiver.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE