time the wife got the axe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bloobeetle

Sep 30, 2012
tattershall, lincs
hi all, i don't know much about axes so i thought i'd ask here, maybe a stupid questing.

i'm looking for an axe for my wife, my hand axe is a little to heavy for her weighing in at a light 1 3/4lbs. i was wondering if something like a roofers, plasters or old fireman's axe would be any good? advice please....

thanks guys

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Depends what your Missus is likely to use it for.

I've got a few, but the axe I think of as 'my' axe, is a small Estwing. It was a joiner's roughing out axe that had been well used; a friend did it up for me :notworthy: :D and it's now just a really useful tool.
I don't chop up great big rounds of timber though, and I don't generally use it daily for making sticks for the fire, nor do I chop down trees with it.
When needed I rough out blanks with it, split kindling, and I have even been known to make feather sticks with it.....just to prove I can :D

There are some beautiful axes out there though....Cegga's come to mind right off :)

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Somewhere....they don't make this specific model anymore, but they do make a very similar one. Mine has the blue handle, but then it was never intended as a bushcrafters axe, but they do similar ones with leather grips. Very nice they are too.

I'm on the old Windows computer tonight, and it's like barely animated treacle trying to do searches on it :sigh:
If your's is working for searching on the forum, try Estwing, and it should show appropriate links/threads.

cheers,
M

Ben98

Forager
Jun 30, 2010
West Yorkshire
I've got a wettelings wildlife axe and its beautiful, and I love it
Seriously worth a look :)
At
Ben

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk 2

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
.....yes

How much do you want to spend bloobeetle? That will "colour" the choice. Is it for cutting and splitting wood or carving?

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
How about a tomahawk, certainly light.

Maybe a coldsteel trail hawk?

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Hi Bloobeetle. I'm increasingly a fan of the Fiskars X5 hatchet. Lightweight package overall with a good weight of head and a splitting prolie. Perfect for splitting small pieces and it fits in a respirator bag. I've carved with it too, though it is not ideal for that.

Heres a good look at one. I've just used mine to split a looad of oak and birch down into small pieces for my camping stove.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
In that case I would avoid the Gransfors mini - it has too little weight to it for chopping.

Choose something like a Gransfors Wildlife Axe or Hultafors Trekking Axe with a 500g (1 pound) head. Anything with less weight than that is not going to chop effectively. You need a 40cm or more helve.

Look at these

http://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Hbfy05%20Classic%20Trekking%20Axe%20500G%20Hulhbfy05%207391408407014%20840701%20list

or this

http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/cutting-tools/axes/gransfors-wildlife-hatchet.htm

Around £60 for the Gransfors of £35 for the Hultafors

A hand forged Husqy hatchet at £20 would be my bargain choice

http://www.gardenmachinesltd.co.uk/husqvarna-576-92-64-01-hatchet-2170-p.asp

Red

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I know it's a bit pricey but the GB Outdoor axe is a great axe.

I use mine a lot and I don't think your wife would have any problem handling it. You just have to keep an eye out for one on Ebay or find a European friend who'd be willing to but and send it to you .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE