Need a bill hook, advice wanted

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mylofitz

Apr 19, 2012
Cheshire
My wife is a primary school teacher and is just about to embark on training for Forest School. The school is paying for the course but not the equipment. There’s a huge list of recommended items. Of course most aren’t required immediately and I’ve some of the things already on the list. One thing I haven’t got is a Billhook which also goes by other names like bush hook.

The Fiskars and Wilkinson sword models appeal although pricey.

Really just looking for advice on a good buy for a quality tool, not too heavy and ideally with a sheath or plastic scabbard. Budget is tight so wonder if it may be better spending more money on a small axe and just get a cheap billhook off Amazon. Advice gratefully received.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The best value for money you get with the black and orange designed Finnish made Fiskars hatchets and axes and they forgive typical beginners faults. I guess it's the same with the bill hook.

(Their scissors aren't as good as the Felco scissors though and I think the knife also isn't the best option.)

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
My only advice is buy cheap, buy twice.
I'd rather invest my money into kit that will last and do a job, rather than buy something to tick it off a list.

There's plenty of alternatives such as goloks, machetes and kukris- have they given a purpose for it (brush clearing/processing wood?).
When I did a class years ago the reason I was told to bring a billhook/brush hook instead of an axe was because the class was under 16s, and was easier for them to use instead of an axe.
Made no sense to me, learning how to use tools correctly is what it's all about.
I have both a fiskars and an older one from a bootsale, the fiskars has a composite handle that may make it easier to use long term for those with less experience and youngsters, but unfortunately neither came with a sheath.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
If money is tight then have a look for a secondhand one on Ebay. There's plenty on there that need next to nothing in restoration apart from a good sharpening

Elwell, Gilpin, Spear & Jackson and Bulldog are all good brands to go for.

Reactions: Broch and Souledman

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
If you 'want' to get one, by all means go for it. Have a look on car boot fairs if they're still running near you. Go for any of the brands Mesquite suggests and you won't go wrong as long as they're not extremely rusty or the handle doesn't have worm.

However, I suggest you wait until your wife has started; I'd be surprised if she actually needs a Billhook TBH. Even if she does, the style she needs may depend on the task.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
As this is need for a course now, I would go for the fiskars, they are good. But as @Mesquite said, the older Elwell are good.

Now as @Broch said, a billhook is likely not needed, I know that I can do more faster, safer and easier with either a condor prang, or a small axe.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
If you 'want' to get one, by all means go for it. However, I suggest you wait until your wife has started; I'd be surprised if she actually needs a Billhook TBH. Even if she does, the style she needs may depend on the task.
This is good advice, see if she actually has a need for it, then definitely get a Fiskars if she does.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I love my old Elwell - it gets loads of use but only cost a few pounds on a car boot... plus hours of renovation and sharpening. I find the bill hook the most versatile of my edged tools and the character of my old Elwell makes it a joy to use :) I will be using it next week at work to clear brash as well as harvesting and cleaning up Hazel poles.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
It was Jack on here who recommended a Morris Newton billhook. I bought one as he is/was involved in coppicing in a professional capacity (I think a coppicer but not sure now. ) so figured that as he used them a lot, he knows what he’s talking about.
I’ve had mine many years and like it. A good weight and thickness to cut well.
If I lost it today, I would buy another tomorrow. Equally, I’ve not bought another billhook but I do have many knives and multiple axes….

Reactions: Toddy

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
There is a big size difference between a man and a woman sized billhook.
I find and adapt smaller tools so my wife can use them without straining her wrists.
If I wanted a lady sized billhook then I’d be askin’ Dave Budd to make one.
Ok these aren’t so cheap as a car boot item but they are particularly nice and bespoke and possibly your grand-children would appreciate one passed on later in life.
S

jackorion

Sep 8, 2021
Exeter
Get a secondhand Elwell from eBay or from a reputable second hand tool seller - new billhooks are nowhere near the quality of the old ones.

You’ll probably have to sharpen it or reprofile the edge but you’ll get a tool that will last and will be very useful - I use a billhook at work loads - brush clearing (soft and woody material), hedgelaying, coppicing, trimming sticks/stakes to length etc - and my Elwell(s) hold their edge better and cut better than the modern bulldogs etc that are provided.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
From pole pruners down to little clipping scissors, I been buying Fiskars tools for 25 years or more. I have no complaints about any of it.
Just this year past, I finally had to admit that my 30+ yr old Fiskars bypass pruners were literally wearing out. Of course where I live, usage is seasonal, particularly with grape vines and fruit trees.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Ebay is a good source for a lot of old tools, fortunately Billhooks do not fall foul of the no knives policy.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Fiskars billhook is quite light weight one. On some jobs I prefer a heavier tool so I have a few.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Yeah, if have time then car boots are a good source.

Picked up a Cornelius Whitehouse (usually have a hedgehog stamped on the blade) sparhook for 50p once. Little to lightweight for my taste so ended up gifting it on.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE