Timber garage bracing help?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Alreet.i'm hoping for some advice off the extremely resourceful folk of bcuk.
Cut a long story short I'm building a timber garage for a customer. This has been a bit of a design and build project and I've reached a stumbling block and can't figure out how too brace the door.the problem is that the customer wants an up/over door and I can't put gallows type bracing at the front.i hope the pics describe this better
7611052298af5e66e3329c396ce5d83d.jpg
00cb56f265e8af53ba7eb8cf3962a2e5.jpg

The small diagonal braces in the opening corners need to be removed too accommodate the door this weakens the structure considerably..I have braced the roof and gables ends with plywood and formed a king post truss in the middle of the garage.whist this makes the structure for the rest of the garage very stable it does not stop the wobble at the opening end of the garage
b317aa871905795c922ab9cefa4d4ae0.jpg
6a880f28849d0430990d8cf8604c2cbb.jpg

Hope this makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Easy,

Tell them they want proper doors instead! Personally think an up and over would ruin that lovely structure.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Personally I don't think it needs anymore bracing, the sheet of ply in the gable above the door will give all the rigidity you need.

Oops, sorry, just reread the post. How about getting something like this made up, and fixing them to the inside of the frame. The large L bracket.

Hammered_L_T_brackets_2_sizes copy.jpg

Last edited:

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Personally I don't think it needs anymore bracing, the sheet of ply in the gable above the door will give all the rigidity you need.

Oops, sorry, just reread the post. How about getting something like this made up, and fixing them to the inside of the frame. The large L bracket.

View attachment 36348

Yep I thought that too I even covered the whole roof in ply too add sum stability n front end still has movement.i'm liking the the l bracket idea though.if I get two big ones n fix them in the top corners on the inside..going across the head and down the legs.could very well be the answer

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
looking good mate. how about some oak elbows grafted to the outside uprights? if you can find some 90 deg ones, they would do the job and look in keeping. saying that, trying to find them may prove quite tricky.

Yeah it's not bad for some reclaimed railway sleepers is it.cheap n all really.just need sort the opening nightmare out.shabby chic!I think they call it

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Two questions:
How is the post jointed to the door lintel/header?
How are the posts jointed to the dwarf brick wall?

Rob.

The head is half lapped on too one side of 10"x6" post this has been fixed with 2 x 9" couch screws.the head beam that runs down the side is fixed to the same post half lapped on n couch screwed together..the slab was already in place when I started the job so I screwed wallplate straps too this and fixed my uprights off them.(would have preferred too concrete them in) the 4x2 walls that infill between the sleepers are also fixed down too the dwarf wall.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Could you use a steel reinforcing bar hidden behind the doorway beam to tie the walls together and add strength?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE