Frontier Stove ( Pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
Nice review CBJ I really like the look of this stove although a little heavy for my liking, but at least it looks well made.

A question to any one who has one of these: is the only way to control the amount of air going in to shut the door? so you can have A) door wide open = lot of air, B) door on 'latch' and slightly ajar = a little air, c) or closed = no air?

I have been thinking about a flat pack wood burning fire box and need to come up with a less fiddly way of regulating air in, it never occured to me to use the door as the sole control for air in.
thats exactly how this works bud, fully open, then the latch to have it abit open then closed, and you have the little circle that you can open and close in the pipe, not sure what its called bud, and so far the lot seems to work a treat.
hope that helps.

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
I wonder if anyone who has the Edfel stove and Tentipi is able to post the dimentions of the heatshield? I too am looking into making a heatshield for a Frontier Stove but wanting to fit it into a Tentipi. Can anyone out there help please?

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Thankyou very much luckylee.

I had looked at my rayburn, and how it controls air in/ exhaust out. It has a hole in the ash pit door with a threaded bolt and a nut with a cover so when you do it up the nut the cover clamps over the hole, open a quater turn and it lets a little air in turn, a couple of turns = more air in. I've always been amazed how well it runs with so little air going in.

But to get good control you also need to control exhaust out, that circle bit in the pipe "dampens" the fire when closed by not letting the exhaust gases out. I've found [with the rayburn] once a good fire is going letting a little to medium air in and completely closing the damper gives prolonged burn times, often well overnight 8-10 hrs - but at a reduced heat.

Another question I've had:- how is it de-ashed? do you have to wait till the fire dies then rake out the ash through the door? if anyone has one of these and wants to enlighten me please do so...

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
Thankyou very much luckylee.

I had looked at my rayburn, and how it controls air in/ exhaust out. It has a hole in the ash pit door with a threaded bolt and a nut with a cover so when you do it up the nut the cover clamps over the hole, open a quater turn and it lets a little air in turn, a couple of turns = more air in. I've always been amazed how well it runs with so little air going in.

But to get good control you also need to control exhaust out, that circle bit in the pipe "dampens" the fire when closed by not letting the exhaust gases out. I've found [with the rayburn] once a good fire is going letting a little to medium air in and completely closing the damper gives prolonged burn times, often well overnight 8-10 hrs - but at a reduced heat.

Another question I've had:- how is it de-ashed? do you have to wait till the fire dies then rake out the ash through the door? if anyone has one of these and wants to enlighten me please do so...
thats exaclty waht you do bud, i have a little stainless steel shovel i think they call them a pig shovel, and i use that to clean out, i'm in the process at the minute in putting this in my work shop, so what i'm going to do is raise it of the floor a few inches, so when i want to take it apart and clean it i will have the clerarence to take it apart if that makes sense, i'm also going to get an extra peice of flew so that the one that is coming out the workshop roof, can stay there, and then if i want to take this stove out, and put it into a lavvu, i will be able to take the extra peice, and not desturbe the one in me workshop roof, because after i have installed the pipe in the roof and added me rain cap i don't fancy having to dismantle this every time i want to take the stove out, for a run in the lavvu or to clean it, so if anybody is going to install there's in there shed or what ever they should consider this, as you need a couple of inches to be able to brake the pipes down.
take care.
lee.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
fantastic review Craig, all I need is a job to buy one. I love my washer drum stove but its the bulk that sets it back. the frontier is just the ticket. Cheers

crucible

Tenderfoot
May 14, 2011
vancouver bc canada
I just received my Frontier Stove here in Vancouver BC Canada today- it was sent by the Royal Mail all the way from Camping Solutions in the UK.

The stove arrived in a cardboard box that was well padded, and I purchased an extra section of stovepipe and the silicone roof gasket kit with the unit.

My initial impressions are that the stove seems well designed, but the build quality of my particular unit is somewhat lacking. My main complaints are that the brackets for the pivoting stove legs at the base are poorly welded- so much so that when fully extended, the stove does not sit level, or sit securely on flat ground. The cotter pin holes that lock the stove legs in place are mis-aligned, so that the pins will not seat into place.

These things can be readily fixed by me with some high strength epoxy, and a redrilling of the stove leg pin holes, but it still is annoying to have to deal with this on a product that is new out of the box.

After I make the repairs to my stove, I'll fire it up and report back.

George

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Hi George

Sorry to hear the stove has faults.

The brackets on my stove were well engineered and had no mis-allignment.

Like you I did order extra flue sections. Two of them got crushed by poor packing but Camping Solutions did send out two more straight away without fuss.

Before making any mods/repairs send them a few pictures of the area of concern to see what they can do.

It is a good stove though.

Cheers

George

crucible

Tenderfoot
May 14, 2011
vancouver bc canada
I enlarged the holes on the leg pivots to allow the locking pins to seat properly, and also strategically placed thin beads of JB Weld epoxy along the inside back seam of the stove to fill in some gaps in the welds that were allowing smoke to come out. I also carefully bent the leg brackets to allow the legs to extend well enough so that the stove top would lay level.

Then I fired the stove up with kindling and newspaper, and kept it going for 2-3 hours to bake in the JB weld and paint.

I have used wood stoves a lot growing up, and regularly use the locally made Bushbuddy mini wooden stove on overnight camping trips, so I was familiar with how to stoke the stove with wood to insure proper heat regulation.

I like the changes in heat settings that can be easily made by adjusting the flue damper, top cover, or main door of the stove. I also like that the length of the stove box is long enough to get some decently sized pieces in there, and that the front opening makes it easy to adjust the wood once it's inside with a poker.

Stability of the stove with pots and pans on it is excellent. I am now looking into making a DIY spark arrestor for the top of the flue so that the stove can be used safely in the vestibule of a nylon tent, as well as figuring out a way to anchor the top section of flue pipe with wire to the ridgepole of the tent so that it can be more stable to the wind because of its extra length.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
This looks great apart from one thing - the same thing that made me sell my tentipi stove... Getting ash out is a pig and you end up having to try and shovel them out with something that roughly matches the dia of the bottom. Sure it's not a problem for an overnighter but it would be lovely to have a tray for collecting and removing ash.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
the mrs has just ordered one of these for me birthday, to go into me workshop, can't wait, i just need to look into gettin g one of those, well the only way i can describe it is chinese hat style metal lids that go ontoip of the flu, to stop the rain coming in, i have sent a pm seoras as to how he made his flu and one of those things on top.
if anybody could point me in the right direction, where to get one of these or some help with how best to make one, i would really apreciate it.
take care.
lee.

Like to see how you get on with this, Lee, as I've got one of these and I've been thinking about getting an extra chimney to set up permanently in my workshop. Problem is - I've got a corrugated roof and I need to get a foolproof weather guard that will work over the hole I'm going to have to cut.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
Like to see how you get on with this, Lee, as I've got one of these and I've been thinking about getting an extra chimney to set up permanently in my workshop. Problem is - I've got a corrugated roof and I need to get a foolproof weather guard that will work over the hole I'm going to have to cut.
i got it sorted bud, never new me dad, was involved in this type of stuff, and he got a twin wall stainless steel flu system, rain cap, storm cooler, and the flashing for the roof, thanks dad.
i put the twin wall over the exsisting 60 mill flu section, as the twin wall was 80mill, just waiting for the hole to be cut and the lot is going in, when its up i will take some pics bud.
as you need grade a flu for going through the roof. that is if you have a felt roof, and it also stops chimney fires, as if you just have the 60 mill sticking through and the cold gets to the peice sticking out the top, it can cause tar bulid up wich can cause a fire, thats what i read when i was doing some research on it, i have a complete twin wall running all the way through now, but you just need the pipe that sticks out the top to be grade a, or twin wall stainless, to stop that happening, now i'm not sure about the stuff i read, but did not fancy burning me shop down, and as i got the flu system as a gift from me dad, it was worth doing, but if you had to buy it, you are looking at hundreds mate.
hope that helps bud, when you start reading about installing one you will see what i mean, unless you alrady no this lol.
take care
lee.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
i got it sorted bud, never new me dad, was involved in this type of stuff, and he got a twin wall stainless steel flu system, rain cap, storm cooler, and the flashing for the roof, thanks dad.
i put the twin wall over the exsisting 60 mill flu section, as the twin wall was 80mill, just waiting for the hole to be cut and the lot is going in, when its up i will take some pics bud.
as you need grade a flu for going through the roof. that is if you have a felt roof, and it also stops chimney fires, as if you just have the 60 mill sticking through and the cold gets to the peice sticking out the top, it can cause tar bulid up wich can cause a fire, thats what i read when i was doing some research on it, i have a complete twin wall running all the way through now, but you just need the pipe that sticks out the top to be grade a, or twin wall stainless, to stop that happening, now i'm not sure about the stuff i read, but did not fancy burning me shop down, and as i got the flu system as a gift from me dad, it was worth doing, but if you had to buy it, you are looking at hundreds mate.
hope that helps bud, when you start reading about installing one you will see what i mean, unless you alrady no this lol.
take care
lee.

Thanks, Lee. Might be cheaper to get a second stove for the shed....

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Just a thought, but instead of running it out through the corrugated roof, couldn't you run it out through the sidewall instead? Easier, and probably safer, than trying to sort out waterprrofing round the corrugations (probably same applies to felted roofs too...)

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
could you hang fish inside the chimney, maybe 3rd or 4th section up, to "smoke it"

Think the chimney's a bit narrow - maybe an eel ;-)

Thinking outside the box though - a box around the opening on the roof of Kerne's shed with the chimney opening into it & some of these for exhaust....

t_ven654.jpg

Could make his chimney sealing problem easier & give him a smoker to boot.....

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Think the chimney's a bit narrow - maybe an eel ;-)

Thinking outside the box though - a box around the opening on the roof of Kerne's shed with the chimney opening into it & some of these for exhaust....

t_ven654.jpg

Could make his chimney sealing problem easier & give him a smoker to boot.....

Promising idea!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE