Custom Hammock from UKHammocks.com

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
UK Hammocks Custom Hammock Review

Bitten By the Bird

I’ve been using hammocks for a while now, preferring them to ground dwelling in all but the coldest depths of winter, and it suits me just fine. Like many tree-dwellers, I started with the DD Frontline, which is an excellent piece of kit, robustly made and with a bargain price tag……….However…..I soon developed a roving eye for other designs.

As with most things, once the ball starts rolling you start to become immersed in improving your experience by way of increasing size or comfort, reducing bulk and weight or adding little extras that make things just that little bit easier, which is something that our American and Canadian cousins are extremely adept at. I’ve been eyeing the US made hammocks for some time, and recently/luckily managed to pick up a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe from the Members Classified section for SWMBO and was amazed at the comfort of the Asymmetrical lay and the quality of the workmanship. Despite this, I still had my eye on the Warbonnet Blackbird which as many of you will know, is perceived to be on a par with Hennessy’s offerings but with a number of modifications. The Warbonnet Blackbird, in my honest opinion, has the edge over the Hennessy hammocks for reasons such as the larger foot box and lightweight gear shelf, and until recently it also held a huge advantage over the Hennessy on account of the zippered mosquito net (Hennessy were originally a bottom entry hammock with a permanent sewn-in net).

Doing the Maths

The sticking-points that consistently thwarted my reasoning in purchasing the Warbonnet Blackbird was threefold: Firstly, I prefer to buy UK made products, or at worst foreign-made products from a UK firm. Secondly the exchange rate combined with shipping costs is a huge financial weight on the bottom line, and final nail in the coffin is the Import VAT and Parcelforce charges to get the item to my door.

A quick breakdown of the financials are as follows:
Warbonnet Blackbird Dual Layer 1.7oz $130.00 £105.95
Shipping $35.00 £21.19
Import VAT £22.33
Parcelforce Handling Est £9.50
TOTAL £158.97

About UKHammocks.com

Mat travelled a similar route to many UK Hammock users, constantly acquiring new gear in a concerted effort to make the already enjoyable experience of hanging in the woods just that little bit better. Whilst many of us have turned our hand to DIY kit and gear, and a few of us have gone on to make a variety of hammocks, Mat saw the opportunity to bring the quality and price of gear that our North American friends have enjoyed for so long, to the UK (and European) Hammock fraternity. The result of his fledgling enterprise, run by Mat Howes with the assistance of his faithful German Shepherd ‘Roxy’, is the rapidly growing an evolving product line which can be seen on his website, all made in Guiseley, Yorkshire . Although the custom hammock reviewed here is not advertised directly on the website, Mat has just launched a similar standard model called the ‘Woodsman Midge’ which appears to be the same as my commission, with the exception of the gear shelf but with the addition of a peak bag, whoopee sling suspension system and ridgeline organiser all included.

The custom hammock was a result of various phone calls and emails addressing my particular requirements in line with mats experience and expertise, which boiled down to a hammock based upon the dimensions and features of the Warbonnet Blackbird Dual layer in a rather fetching Forest green with a few extras such as a Peak Bag, mesh netting snakeskins, and a 3/4 zip which effectively allows the entire mosquito net (bar about 24”)to be unzipped and stowed within the shelf.

The Financial breakdown for the UK Hammocks Custom Hammock for comparison are:
UK Custom Hammock w/zip mod, based upon WBBB 1.7oz £130.00
Peak Bag £4.99
Mesh Snakeskins £20.99
Shipping £FREE (RM 1st Class)
TOTAL £155.98

Mat was an absolute legend to deal with, constantly keeping me abreast of any developments, when it was due to be tested and when it was shipped. He even went out of his way to ensure the hammock arrived on the Saturday so I could use it the very same evening in the woods. I cannot fault the customer service in any way whatsoever, based upon his swift response to all my emails and phone calls , such service is worth its weight in gold.

First Impressions

Upon opening the parcel, I was initially very surprised at how small the whole thing was. I’d requested Amsteel for the line which would have reduced the overall bulk of the pack, but I was very impressed with the size. In fact, if I added the Hennessy Asym Tarp to the bundle, it works out slightly smaller than the DD Frontline on its own.

imgp3210.jpg

From left to right; DD Frontline including webbing (as standard), Hennessy Explorer Deluxe with Dyneema line (as standard) and without Asym Tarp, UK Hammocks Custom Hammock with Amsteel Line. In order to provide scale, I’ve included a 300 mm ruler between the Hennessy and the UK Hammocks Custom.

As you can see, the UK Hammocks Custom packs down within the Bishop sack to a very manageable size, being only slightly wider than the packed DD Frontline, but much shorter. To those of you that are not familiar with the Bishop sack; it’s similar to a very short version of the DD ‘Snakeskin’, and can be left on the suspension line to provide storage of small items.

imgp3216.jpg

Bishop Sack used as storage on suspension webbing. Suspension used for the hammock was via descender ring (in this case two heavy duty chain links) locked with two hitches.

Weight

Whilst lightweight kit is always a bonus, I thought it wise to give those ‘gram-shavers’ some facts and figures right about now;

DD Frontline 1150g
Hennessy Explorer Deluxe 1302g
UK Hammocks Custom 1015g

It should be noted that the DD and the UK Hammocks Custom were weighed including their respective ‘Snakeskins’ while the Hennessy was packed loose. No tree straps, Karabiners of clips were included other than the factory standard.

Quality

Considering that Mat makes all of the hammocks himself, you’d expect a certain amount of human error to have crept into the manufacturing somewhere along the line. In fact, to the contrary, I could find no loose threads or wayward stitching. The stitching was very fine and neat, with attention to detail, even on the trickier parts.

imgp3214g.jpg

The apex of the hammock at the head-end showing the detail of the stitching.

imgp3220h.jpg

Stitching at the tie-out on the shelf.

imgp3221p.jpg

More stitching along the net/hammock seam.

imgp3211.jpg

Once set up, the hammock displays a good ‘wide’ shape with the mosquito net zipped all round. Obviously, the shape of the hammock is dependent upon how it is hung. In this case, the trees were just under 12 feet apart, and the straps were at about 7-8 feet, but it seemed to go up easy enough!

imgp3215.jpg

Sitting pretty, without mat or human…….

imgp3223u.jpg

As you can see, it’s tremendously roomy within, and with the mosquito net pulled back it’s a great size for lounging about.

imgp3225p.jpg

Dual Layers of ripstop nylon to allow a sleeping mat to be inserted between, a feature that I wanted to keep from my Frontline and the other DD hammocks, it’s a feature that is lacking in the Hennessy Explorer.

imgp3229i.jpg

The ‘shelf’; a really useful addition, inspired by the Warbonnet Blackbird except with the zip that runs all the way around the edge, so the mosquito net can be stored within.

imgp3238.jpg

The peak bag, modified (Yes, I’ve been modding it already!!) so that the prussic knot can keep it against the ridgeline, similar to a fixed ridgeline organiser…..except without the organiser bit.

imgp3239r.jpg

The obligatory internal ‘head-cam’ shot showing the huge foot box.

In Conclusion…..

I know this type of hammock isn’t for everyone, and many will find it difficult to part with £130 plus for one, but to be you get what you pay for when it comes to quality gear, and this is no exception. I purchased this hammock to encompass the best features of the majority of the offerings on the market but made by someone in the UK to equally high standards, thereby avoiding high shipping costs, import VAT and handling charges whilst supporting our own fledgling cottage industry. I think that the custom aspect of this product, in conjunction with all of the above, has thoroughly fulfilled the objective and provided a brilliant piece of kit!
There are one or two little mods that I’ve asked Mat to make, such as adding Velcro along the edge of the layers to stop the corner of my mat escaping at night, and possibly adding a sleeve at each end to cover the gathered end of the hammock. I may add one or two little extras myself as time goes by, as there are plenty to be tempting me on Mat’s website!!

For those of you that fancy taking a look at Mat's wares, you can have a sneaky look (when the Mrs isn't looking :rolleyes:) at www.UKHammocks.com, where you can see the similar model to the custom hammock reviewed here; the 'Woodsman Midge'.

imgp3232f.jpg

Enjoy!!:)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Thanks for the heads up I'd not heard of Mat's work before.

I'm just waiting for my 1.1 single BB to come from Brandon so I'll be getting upset again when I get the letter from the post office. For some reason he won't disguise the package to avoid such charges, I've ordered from MLD and JRB and they've both cooperated.

I'm currently at seven hammocks with one on the way so I can't be buying another just yet, I hope to see one of these in the flesh one day though.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
It was a pleasure to make it for you, and I look forward to photos of your outings!
ATB

Mat

No worries Mat. I take great pleasure in reviewing quality made British gear. Thanks!

Thanks for the heads up I'd not heard of Mat's work before.

I'm just waiting for my 1.1 single BB to come from Brandon so I'll be getting upset again when I get the letter from the post office. For some reason he won't disguise the package to avoid such charges, I've ordered from MLD and JRB and they've both cooperated.

I'm currently at seven hammocks with one on the way so I can't be buying another just yet, I hope to see one of these in the flesh one day though.

Seven :yikes:
I've got a long way to go yet! Feel free to give us a shout if you fancy trying it out sometime.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Looks awesome! Damn I want one now. Not really understanding the shelf bit though. What is it? and whats it do?

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Looks awesome! Damn I want one now. Not really understanding the shelf bit though. What is it? and whats it do?

It's more like a 'wing' of fabric stretched out on the right hand side. It's there to store lightweight items that are too bulky for a ridge line organiser or a peak bag. Very handy for keeping your hip flask in as well!!

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
On the strength of reading this, I ordered a hammock from Mat. It arrived today! Very impressive and efficient service. Now all I need to do is work out how to put it up! I've watched the video thing on his website and committed as much as I can to memory; the rest - success or disaster - is down to me! At least it's a pleasant afternoon to go out and play...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE