Tilley lamp info needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I was at the Midlands Game Show this weekend and there was a stall selling these

tilley1.jpg

tilley2.jpg

tilley3.jpg

They were labelled as re-conditioned Tilley lamps complete with reflector hood and spare mantle for £20 each so I grabbed one.

Any suggestions where I can get operating instructions and info on it?

leon-1

It's got a crows foot on it, this means that it's issue. So there must be a suitable document that's issued.

If not try phoning an army surplus that you know sells them and ask if they can photocopy the instructions with the ones they have.

Kev at Endicott's was selling some of those a while back and they had the instructions with them so it may be worth calling and asking him.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Kia Ora,

It can be difficult to tell with ex MOD /WD lanterns exactly which model you have. A lot of the bits from the differing Vapalux / Bialaddin lanterns are interchangeable. So when they went back into the stores and got refurbished the resultant lantern could be a bit of a bitsa but still worked pretty well.

They are really easy to use basically

Fill no more than 3/4 full with good clean kerosene ( don't use petrol or anything other than kerosene dispite what folk say)

Refit the tank lid and leave the airscrew in the lid loose

fill the spirit cup with meths beneath the mantle.

Ignite the Meths to preheat the vapouriser tube if the mantle is new as on you lantern then this will ignite and burn and shrink this is normal...

once the meths has nearly burned out close the air screw on the tank lid and give 5-10 full strokes on the pump. The lantern should pop into life with a good clean light.

Once running add more strokes of the pump to get the desired light output.

Do it outside the first time to save burning the house down if things go wrong.

I'll knock up a photo tutorial tonight and post on here.

This thread has got me thinking - I'm sure that I've got one of those in the loft (left behind by the previous owner of the house)...

I'm itching to go have a look, but that would probably wake SWMBO & the kids and I wouldn't actually make it far enough to see it, so best wait until tomorrow after work.:rolleyes:

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
This thread has got me thinking - I'm sure that I've got one of those in the loft (left behind by the previous owner of the house)...

I'm itching to go have a look, but that would probably wake SWMBO & the kids and I wouldn't actually make it far enough to see it, so best wait until tomorrow after work.:rolleyes:

Be careful, that's how the collecting bug starts... I was the same as you an old Primus No 5 stove left in the shed... Now 75 stoves and 30 odd lanterns later ( at least I think it's that many) I'm ready to admit I need help...;)

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
OK How to light a Bialaddin lantern ( or most normal Kerosene lanterns)

1. Select the lantern ( this can be more difficult than it seems)

DSCF0076.jpg

2. Ensure the lantern has about 3/4 of a tank of fresh Clean kerosene ( paraffin) do not over fill the tank.

3. Replace the tank lid and ensure the air screw is loose. This is important if it's done up the lantern will start to pressurise before its preheated and you'll start to burn unvapourised kerosene which is messy and soots up the lantern glass

DSCF0095.jpg

4. Fill the preheater cup with Methalayted Spirits

DSCF0087.jpg

5. Ignite the Meths and allow the burning meths to warm the vapouriser tube

DSCF0090.jpg

6. When the meths is starting to burn down close the Air Screw in the Tank Lid

DSCF0095.jpg

7. Then give some gentle strokes of the pump

DSCF0096.jpg

8. The lantern should 'pop' into life...

DSCF0094.jpg

Add more strokes of the pump to get the desired light output...

You regulate the light output by releasing air from the tank with the Air Screw.

The Knob on the lantern just controls a pricker needle to clean the jet.

DSCF0097.jpg

Don't use this to try and regulate light output you'll ruin the needle and jet in very short order... The Needle is down when the knob is rotated fully anti clockwise.

Hope this helps

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
OK....first niaive question of the day.....how long do the mantles last..? Just one session...?
Cheers

No they can last a very long time The one on the lantern in the tutorial shots has been on for at least 18 months and is just starting to break down.

They are VERY fragile when they are burned off so a good impact will break them but if the lanter is transported with some care they do last a fair while.

Hope this helps

techworm

Forager
Aug 18, 2006
lancashire
OK How to light a Bialaddin lantern ( or most normal Kerosene lanterns)

1. Select the lantern ( this can be more difficult than it seems)

DSCF0076.jpg

2. Ensure the lantern has about 3/4 of a tank of fresh Clean kerosene ( paraffin) do not over fill the tank.

3. Replace the tank lid and ensure the air screw is loose. This is important if it's done up the lantern will start to pressurise before its preheated and you'll start to burn unvapourised kerosene which is messy and soots up the lantern glass

DSCF0095.jpg

4. Fill the preheater cup with Methalayted Spirits

DSCF0087.jpg

5. Ignite the Meths and allow the burning meths to warm the vapouriser tube

DSCF0090.jpg

6. When the meths is starting to burn down close the Air Screw in the Tank Lid

DSCF0095.jpg

7. Then give some gentle strokes of the pump

DSCF0096.jpg

8. The lantern should 'pop' into life...

DSCF0094.jpg

Add more strokes of the pump to get the desired light output...

You regulate the light output by releasing air from the tank with the Air Screw.

The Knob on the lantern just controls a pricker needle to clean the jet.

DSCF0097.jpg

Don't use this to try and regulate light output you'll ruin the needle and jet in very short order...

Hope this helps

re The Knob on the lantern just controls a pricker needle to clean the jet.
what is the correct position for the needle to be in when the lantern is lit and running?

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
No they can last a very long time The one on the lantern in the tutorial shots has been on for at least 18 months and is just starting to break down.

They are VERY fragile when they are burned off so a good impact will break them but if the lanter is transported with some care they do last a fair while.

Hope this helps

Certainly does.....cheers mate :)

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
re The Knob on the lantern just controls a pricker needle to clean the jet.
what is the correct position for the needle to be in when the lantern is lit and running?

Hi,

The pricker needs to be fully retracted which on my Bialaddin 320 ( the lantern in the photo's)
means turning the knob fully Anti clockwise.

Hope this helps

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Thats great Thanks for the tutorial very timely for me
I have just been given a Bialaddin lamp which I am collecting tomorrow
It need some tlc but that should be part of the fun
I expect to be referring to this thread a fair bit

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Thats great Thanks for the tutorial very timely for me
I have just been given a Bialaddin lamp which I am collecting tomorrow
It need some tlc but that should be part of the fun
I expect to be referring to this thread a fair bit

Very good,

If you have specific questions feel free to drop me a PM. I'm not an 'expert' on Bialaddin by any means but I might be able to assist. :)

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Wonderful things, I have 3 - a Bialaddin 320 and 2 MOD vapalux M320's - essentially exactly the same lamps.

Here is the current issue Vapalux....

vapaluxm320_006.jpg

vapaluxm320_001.jpg

I got these off ebay in "unlit" condition for £35 each a couple of years ago, but they seem to have shot up in value recently. New they are around £100.

They were labelled as re-conditioned Tilley lamps
I think yours is a Vapalux 21C.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE