Amateur Restoration Of An EA854688 Singer 201K Sewing Machine

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
Hi....i recently saw this on ebay and it was the first 'EA....' serial numbered machine i've seen apart from one that was in totally mint condition and being sold by a sewing machine shop therefore at such a high price i couldnt justify buying it.

the lovely lady, Jan, who was selling it kindly agreed to post it as it was meant to be collection only so here it is. i knew it was going to be hard work and yes i've put a bit of money into it and a helluva lot of time....but hey, she's been worth it.

she's yet to have a 'deep clean'....it was completely filthy and caked with that horrible hardened grime/oil which Sir Mac has since told me was probably caused by someone using incorrect oil on it, most likely 2 in 1....a word of advice....ONLY use top grade and correct oils and greases on your sewing machines!! i use only Singer products...seems sensible huh? and the inside of the machine was as bad as the outside...rank grime, fluff, lumps of it jammed in around the feed dogs...the pivots, rods and levers behind the decorative face plate were the worst i've seen to date...they now look lovely and it runs like a dream. i've been unable to get everything i need as yet...for instance, the metal brackets/plates on the left and right of the base are not correct therefore i cant fit a totally correct extension table....but for now, the first stage is complete. so far its been wiped (vigorously) with only water and then oiled all over...i'll use fairy liquid in warm water and alcohol when i'm ready to put the new decals on. i may also work on the case, sand it, oil.....whatever.

so....here are the initial pictures to give you a starting point...

nothing a toothbrush and a damp cloth couldnt sort out...

it now has new bobbin cover and needle throat plates...these are the original ones (and you cant see on this picture because the part is missing but if you look down at the latest shot from this angle you'll see it has an extra silver wire thread guide....the original had been snapped off....and yes it was a part that was difficult to source, it only arrived today!):

as you can see it was all pretty yucky...

as most of you know i own a lot of these now, currently 15.....and i've noticed that the tension assemblies often differ throughout the years....this one had 'messed up' so i took it all off and re-assembled it according to the instructions in one of my manuals (not all manuals contain this info oddly!) and now its fine and springy as it should be.

the rust came of the spool pin holder with just oil and a hard rub...if only all rust came off that easily!!

i was going to simply put a better condition handcrank on it, mainly because it had a piece missing from the end part that goes into the balance wheel meaning it clanked, metal on metal....but i noticed this one was a bit different and therefore maybe special to the earlier machines....the metal arm is not simply curved, it has a straight bit in the middle....the wood handle is also smaller than most....also its pinned on with brass.....unusual....(i've about ten cranks here and theyre all the same and different from this one)....so i decided to do something about it...

after having a look at how one should be i got meself a sheet of stainless steel and hacksawed out a small piece, drilled a hole in it, nicked an original screw from a different singer part i had, added a bit of leather....not artwork, granted, but i'm rather pleased with meself....i may dye the piece of leather but more likely i'll just add a smidge of oil and let it start to age naturally....

and heres how she looks now....

new lock-brackets where they were missing and shiney new plates...shame about the damaged wood but hey-ho...also you can see the brown staining on the two rods that hold the needle and foot...i'll be stripping all the mechanics out at a later date and cleaning them up properly)....

nice and clean with new red felts present...

fixed handcrank and a new bobbin winder housing...

new balance wheel and oiled handle...

new compartment lid...(of course when i'm saying 'new' i dont mean new as in a modern replica....all parts are original of course)

snazz...........

she now has her own complete 'godzilla' tin of accessories....new key and theres a new lock in the lid too....

and heres the sheet of decals she'll be wearing soon that i got from the U.S.A.....

shes also had various knobs, nuts, thread cutter, etc etc upgraded....there is just one slight problem with her....earlier i mentioned a part that had been snapped off...i'm presuming she took a knock at some point in that area because when trying to get the needle to pick up the thread from the bobbin it doesnt want to...this is because the needle doesnt go straight down but slightly to the right...it mustve been a heavy knock to bend the thick steel shaft (weirdly though it runs smooth as anything, theres no friction at all, its a miniscule amount i'm talking about but enough to cause this problem) that holds the needle but i cant think of any other reason...and the broken thread guide would add to this point...but, alls not lost....i've got the spare parts needed and will be looking at it more closely soon. if i put a bit of pressure on the needle and push to the left and then try it, it picks up the lower thread and she goes on to stitch just fine. all in all i'm pleased and will be soon seeking Sir Macs advice to help me through the decal bit....hope its been of use and interest....dont go throwing these lovely machines in the bin....with a bit of research, effort and t.l.c. these can be restored nearly 100 percent to their former glory! she's 78 years old and looking wonderful....and the best is yet to come!

regards,

sonni

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
That is superb mate. Great work. The wife has just arranged for our old machine to be picked up by Singer tomorrow for them to restore it, or else I'd be tempted to ask you about having a go at ours.

Here she is, in need of some tlc, but generally in good nick considering her age.

9061294576_d11e1217c7_b.jpg

She is a Singer New Family machine, manufactured September 26th 1877, Clydebank, Scotland. Purchased 2012 in a charity shop for £5, not quite in working order. Missing a needle a few bobbins, and the rubber on the winding-on wheel has perished. I have not seen an older one, but her mechanism is still lovely and smooth. I can't wait to see her in full working order.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's a fine job you've done there Sonni, considering you'd not seen one of these a few short months ago. You've definitely got an affinity with these machines and it shows in the care and time you've lavished on this one.

It looks really fine mate, and you should be well pleased with what you've achieved. Nice one! :)

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Nice job,i love my 99k and hooe that I'll find a 201k for the right money one day soon!

Last edited:

bigstan

Aug 11, 2010
Cornwall
I saw two of these in a charity shop yesterday, they want £55 for each one. I am no expert but they look quite well looked after.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Nice one mate, I ve had my one on getting one for a while now..... will have to sort that itch out soon.. :)

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hey harvestman....thats a lovely machine m8 and doesnt really look like it needs 'restoring' as such....will be great once its got the bits it needs and i look forward to seeing pics!

s

That is superb mate. Great work. The wife has just arranged for our old machine to be picked up by Singer tomorrow for them to restore it, or else I'd be tempted to ask you about having a go at ours.

Here she is, in need of some tlc, but generally in good nick considering her age.

9061294576_d11e1217c7_b.jpg

She is a Singer New Family machine, manufactured September 26th 1877, Clydebank, Scotland. Purchased 2012 in a charity shop for £5, not quite in working order. Missing a needle a few bobbins, and the rubber on the winding-on wheel has perished. I have not seen an older one, but her mechanism is still lovely and smooth. I can't wait to see her in full working order.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi stan....i got this for 35 and have spent a few quid on it getting the parts i needed....i already had most in spare and only had to source a couple of bits.....the most expensive bit was the new lock and key which i paid 8 quid for so its come in at about 55 quid i guess....and its an 'EA....'' so well worth it in my mind....if the machines youve looked at are 201's and in good nick then yeah, 55 is more than a fair price....take the plunge my friend!

s

I saw two of these in a charity shop yesterday, they want £55 for each one. I am no expert but they look quite well looked after.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
she certainly is m8....i rarely see fiddlebases in that nice condition unless theyre going for gooooood money....

i've done very well in controlling myself and restraining from buying other singer machines because otherwise itll get really silly as i'll start buying everything...angela is already suffering from severe depression and seeking counselling due to my 201 addiction lololol!

s

The mechanism has some rust that needs removing, but reaslly she is in great condition for a machine 136 years old.

Greenbeast

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2009
Northiam, East Sussex
What a beauty, well done

My mum has a singer collection, probably into the ten's now, but none of them have been touched, when i finally build my house i'm going to nab one with the treadle table and do a restore for display (and maybe use) purposes

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
a nice buy indeed....i just had a quick look on ebay and theres a rough one at 90 quid....another worn at 70....

but here you can see the lid it needs:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antique-S...Collect_SewingMachines_RL&hash=item4adcbf57ca

and heres a nice one at £320

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANTIQUE-S...Collect_SewingMachines_RL&hash=item20ec83e7e7

another at £250.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antique-S...Collect_SewingMachines_RL&hash=item35dcebedb4

......and i forgot to mention one thing....ITS ALL MACS FAULT!

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
a nice buy indeed....is it meant to have one of the sarcophagus style lids?...i'm not completely sure......and i forgot to mention one thing....ITS ALL MACS FAULT (and no doubt he'll confirm lid-type)!

Yeah, a sarcophagus case is what it would have had....................and a sarcophagus is what Sonni will be in if he keeps blaming me!!! :)

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
lololololol......yup i thought sarcophagus too but i quickly changed my post after a search on ebay lol...i wasnt fast enough though!.....seems they have a nicer-than-usual bentwood on most of them...

live n learn innit....

meany.:)

s
Yeah, a sarcophagus case is what it would have had....................and a sarcophagus is what Sonni will be in if he keeps blaming me!!! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE