A couple of barn find gems - Tilley Lamp and JB Anvil!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Hi all,

While clearing out a barn today, I unearthed what look like a couple of gems;

First up, a Tilley X246 Guardsman Lamp

Screen Shot 2017-05-02 at 21.58.13.jpg

From a quick bit of inter web research it seems to be 1950-54 vintage and seems complete (apart from missing wick) - it even has an intact mantle which was the last resting place of a very large spider. I don't know much about Tilley lamps (I have various Coleman petrol stoves and lamps) but have been having a look at the Base-Camp website to see what seals etc I will need to get it going.

Second, a JB 100 Anvil

image1.jpg

image3.jpg

image2.jpg

Again a bit of inter web research suggests that this is a John Brooks anvil from Lye in the Black Country, though if anyone knows any different or can provide any more information about age etc. I would be very grateful. I'm guessing that 100 = 100 lbs?

I always regretted missing out on my grandfather's very worn anvil and am well chuffed with this find! :)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Nice find on the anvil. It's one zero zero rather than one hundred. The number refers to 1 hundred weight, no quarters of a hundred weight, no pounds so it weighs 112 lb.

ATB

TOM

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Nice find on the anvil. It's one zero zero rather than one hundred. The number refers to 1 hundred weight, no quarters of a hundred weight, no pounds so it weighs 112 lb.

ATB

TOM

Cheers, that makes sense - most that I have seen have had the weight in hundred weight cast onto them and the "100" had me a bit confused.

srod

Forager
Feb 9, 2017
argyll
I like the Tilley! Nice find, old and complete by the look of things. You'll definitely be able to get that running again. May not even need new seals, might only need a new mantle. See if it holds pressure. You'll probably need to strip clean and lube the pump, free up the non-return-valve and replace the leather cup (a bit old old shoe will do) or soak the old one in olive oil. Well worth doing as the light, sound and heat they give off is beautiful.

Last edited:

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
I like the Tilley! Nice find, old and complete by the look of things. You'll definitely be able to get that running again. May not even need new seals, might only need a new mantle. See if it holds pressure. You'll probably need to strip clean and lube the pump, free up the non-return-valve and replace the leather cup (a bit old old shoe will do) or soak the old one in olive oil. Well worth doing as the light, sound and heat they give off is beautiful.

Thanks, looking forward to having a play with it but will have to be a rainy day or winter project but nice to see that any parts I may need are readily available.

Off to have another rummage! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE