Three man/birth tent ideas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ruger_red

Tenderfoot
Mar 9, 2009
Merseyside
Hi, I'm looking for a smallish tent to take my daughter camping. A 3 man tent would be the minimum as don't want to be cramped. Would also like a reasonable sized porch . Open mind to makes and models. Will expect to camp later in the year so need to withstand bad weather. Do like the Vango Omega 350 but noone has any in stock. .

Also need to be able to put up myself and a quick pitch time essential. I've got two two man tents and a goretex hooped bivi which I've bought and never used once so my wife is reluctant for me to go buying more tents. We've already got a Cabanon Aruba, Outwell Montana, Vango Micro 250, Blacks Stormshield and MountainEquipment bivi so I suppose she has a point.

Welcome any suggestions and recommendations

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Get one of those Tipi style ones! :D they look great and seem pretty easy to assemble/carry and have plenty of room..im sure I came across some 3 and 4 men ones whilst browsing somewhere and they were reasonably priced...will try and find them for you mate.

:burnout:

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I'll second the Vango Equinox.

Reasonable weight but but strong as a tent twice as heavy. Mine and an old Vango Force 10 were once the last tents standing standing after a ferocious summer storm hit one night when I was camping at Stonethwaite.

Cheers, Michael.

ruger_red

Tenderfoot
Mar 9, 2009
Merseyside
I do like the look of the equinox but the £200 odd price is probably too much as may be the first and last weekend camping depending on the weather.

Big thumbs up for Vango tents in generall as a long time user. But looking at your list of tents I would say your wife does indeed have a point, and I speak as a real "kit queen". If it's not going to see lots of trips out then can't you make do with one of your other tents? On the other hand, it's your money, so who am I etc...
Hope you have a god trip either way

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Another vote for the Vango Juno tipi tents from me!
Our local Cotswolds Outdoors store are currently selling them off cheap. MIght be worth having a look if you have one nearby, or maye order online. Get the bigger one (Juno 500) - it's still only 60-odd quid (possibly even cheaper). Good thing about the Juno is that you can set it up beneath a tree and hook the apex of it to a branch and thus not need the central pole, giving you even more room.
I used one a few weeks ago and I was really happy with it - extremely simple to put up, lots of room for two people, looks good, and was well priced.
And I'm sure your daughter will love the idea of sleeping in a tipi.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have a Storproof Missouri two I got off Ebay (£20) supposedly a two man, but would take three in comfort, nice big porch and it has withstood most things.

ruger_red

Tenderfoot
Mar 9, 2009
Merseyside
Had a sleepless night thinking all this through. I'm a pessimist and always expect the worse. Given the increasingly extreme weather we get now I'm inclined to err on the side of caution and go for the Vango Equinox 350. Haven't read a bad comment about it. Pity the footprint groundsheet is extra.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Had a sleepless night thinking all this through. I'm a pessimist and always expect the worse. Given the increasingly extreme weather we get now I'm inclined to err on the side of caution and go for the Vango Equinox 350. Haven't read a bad comment about it. Pity the footprint groundsheet is extra.

Just buy a cheap tarp from B&Q with a similar width as the tent. Keep the extra length in the porch area, under the inner door. This makes a good area for taking shoes on and off etc.
If you do decide to get an Equinox, you'll be handing on to your kids, they're bombproof. I've had mine for ten tears now and it's still going strong.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE