Three axes...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
An old head on young shoulders...

All cleaned up & re-handled with Ash I harvested last winter.

The long one is 2lb (ish) hung on 27" handle.

Kent pattern on 18"

Small hatchet on 15.5"

All with Oak wedges.

The throw is a little more open than the last batch.

Hope you like them.

Axes_01.JPG

Axes_02.JPG

Axes_03.JPG

Axes_04.JPG

Axes_05.JPG

Axes_06.JPG

Axes_07.JPG

Axes_08.JPG

Axes_09.JPG

Axes_10.JPG

Disappointingly the Canoba wax lifted the dye out of the through-dyed leather on the sheaths in places.

The little one needs a sheath still & they all need final sharpening.

All the best.

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Silly question, but I assume you are making the helves yourself from ash?

If so - bloody gorgeous work!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You should do a few of those up for sale Hedgehog (the Kents I mean) on 18" and 24" helves. They are as sweet as a nut and set up like that with a decent leather mask, every bit as good as a Gransfors.

Red

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
Crackin handles and sheaths mate, I have a nice axe head in the shed that I havent got around to doing, you have given me ideas!

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
lovely work mate. have you any idea about the provenance of the littlest of the three? i'm fairly sure that it's the same as one that i've been working on for a little while and i've been wondering about mine. someone told me that it could be an old coal board job, used by the blokes who fitted wooden pit props, but TBH i don't really trust his opinion much!

cheers

stuart

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
Many thanks for all your comments folks, much appreciated.

Rob - careful, they are addictive! I'm sure you'll make a cracking job of it though mate.

Stuart (shaggystu) - I have been trying to find out about this pattern too, I had three indifferent weights. I quite like them & might hang on to this little one for carving, it feel pleasingly tip heavy compared to a small Kent pattern. Your man may not be far off with the pit props...

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
.....Stuart (shaggystu) - I have been trying to find out about this pattern too, I had three indifferent weights. I quite like them & might hang on to this little one for carving, it feel pleasingly tip heavy compared to a small Kent pattern. Your man may not be far off with the pit props...

i feel just the same about the one i've got, it was sat by the fire, blunt as anything, when i moved into my current house and i used it for splitting kindling for along time without thinking about it at all. spent an hour or so working on the edge with a file and pretty much fell in love with it. i've got a few kent patterns, and they're lovely little axes, but the axe in question is something else all together, being so very tip heavy it's a joy to carve with. when i finally get round to putting a new handle on mine i'll put some pictures up (i've got a few "before" pictures of how i found it), would be interesting to see if anyone could shed any light on it

cheers

stuart

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
They are gorgeous handles, fantastic workmanship. I like the "hatchet type" they make great carving axes. I have heard folk say they are French and a chap staying with me at the moment has one that pottern that is stamped Czechoslovakia. Whatever, they are common and good.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
mine's stamped "foriegn", not an enormous amount of help i would've thought

i'll put a pictue up of mine as i found it, may add a clue

cheers

stuart

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
shaggystu i have one of these too, looks the same but i think one of ours has the handle on back to front?
looks a very tough axe with a chunky eye but i havn't sharpened it yet so don't know how it performes.

IMG_3718.jpg

IMG_3717.jpg

IMG_3719.jpg

Hedgehog,
that is some great skill you have:) getting the blade alignment right sure isn't easy! also the grain looks spot on.

pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE